Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Random Musings on Future Steps
Other Places
Two Anime series that crossed my mind are:
Bastard.
Outlaw Star. (Any world with a spacedrive called the Munchhausen drive deserves points for sheer gall.)
Re: Other Places
Haven't seen Bastard, but I'm a big Outlaw Star fan - I can loan Bob the DVDs if he likes. However, I doubt Doug would be able to do much in the OS world without simply using the universe and making up his own stuff, or having a brief encounter with the gang. Granted, that might be fun, but it's still not a major step location.
OTOH, it could make for an interesting short story - I may even see about coming up with some more detailed ideas since I know the world moderately well (and just got Angel Links, which is at least in a similar universe if not the same one and is by the same group).
Offsides
P.S. Would that mean that a ship towed into Etherspace was using Munchhausen Drive by Proxy? Smile
Drunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At LargeDrunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large
I agree with Offsides on all points; neat show, not much for Doug to do. The problem, see, is that of the OS characters, all but Jim Hawking and maybe Aisha Clanclan -finished- their character arcs. Melfina found her past and was able to stop worrying about it and her nature; Gene, well, Gene didn't develope much, but he was always, I think, a lot deeper than he looked; and Suzuka was able to find closure with her Issues.
So, what about Jim and Aisha? Well, Aisha needs to learn to -calm- -down-, but other than that she's a surprisingly balanced adult.
Jim is, IIRC, coming up on the age to discover The Wonder That Is Hormones (of course, as hellish as he'll probably find it, the flipside is that he'll suddenly be able to -appreciate- the fact that he's sharing a small starship with three incredibly attractive women - even if he's still too young for all of them).
Angel Links is, by my understanding, set in the same universe as Outlaw Star but translated by a different company - which, natch, used different terminology.
Blessed be.
-n
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."
More things for me to look into...
However, as of yesterday afternoon, I now have 8 DVDs of uncensored first season Sailor Moon to watch. Add that to the few things we've recently discovered or re-discovered, and I'm not in the market for new series at the moment.

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Offsides: Angel Links *IS* set in the same universe as Outlaw Star. Little bit of anime trivia. :-)
[Image: Aleh.jpg]
RE: Other Places
I knew Angel Links and Outlaw Star were set in the same universe, but is it official or just fan convention that Cowboy Bebop is in the pre-interstellar contact/travel past? Not that it really matters that much - Edward and Delfina are fun, but nothing else grabs me in any of them - but I am curious.
- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Girls, Girls Girls
After talking with Bob about this, we both decided that - if I'm CAREFUL - it's possible to post part of the beginning of
G^3 _without_ spoiling_ any of the other fics.
I'm opening it up in my favorite editor right now (WinVI, yum!)
and making the appropriate adjustments.
Ed.
Re: RE: Other Places
To the best of my knowledge, Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop have nothing to do with each other. Besides, OS is in all likelyhood millenia forward of CB, so even if they were the same universe, they'd be separated by a huge timespan...
Offsides
Drunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large
Annother World -
Why not Magic Users Club?
How would Doug react to that bunch of lunatics?
Re: Annother World -
Quote:
Why not Magic Users Club?
Is that the one with the alien ship called "The Bell"? I remember seeing that on one of Helen's fansubs years'n'years ago.
Quote:
How would Doug react to that bunch of lunatics?
Depends on their particular brand of lunacy...

-- Bob
---------
Re: Annother World-
Presently I've been enjoying the hell out of Sumeba Miyako no Cosmos-Sou Suttoko Taisen Dokkoida. I've only got a poor fansub of the first several episodes so far.
It's a comedy, wherein a ronin (in the modern sense) accidently obtains a part-time job as a superhero, Dokkoida, thanks to a transforming belt provided by his new supervisor/partner, an alien who appears to be a little girl. Her company is participating in a competitive trial with another company (represented by an alien who appears to be a bunny rabbit, who has hired a girl to wear their superhero suit) to supply whichever is the better transforming power armor to the Galaxy Police.
To conduct a proper test, the GP have released several master criminals -- a mad scientist, an evil magical girl, and an S&M domme -- to fight the costumed heroes. If the villains win by discovering the identity of the heroes, they apparently get a pardon or something. (they do appear to be stuck on Earth, though it's not so bad) If the heros win, whichever is most successful gets the contract.
To save on expenses, they all live, in their civilian guises, in the same small apartment complex. So far they appear not to have realized this. And the GP officer who's conducting the test has been ordered to continue gathering data so it can be used as footage for a reality show.
It's got damn near everything. Doug would fit in perfectly, provided that he didn't try too hard to figure out everyone's secret identities.
If you've got a decent machine at this point, Bob, I'd be happy to send you a CDR of what I've got.
Please pretty please
Cap'n, you gotta share that one... it sounds incredibly whack. Smile
Quote:
If you've got a decent machine at this point, Bob, I'd be happy to send you a CDR of what I've got.
My machine currently is rather borderline -- it depends on a lot of factors what's viewable and what's not. But I'm planning on buying a new cpu and mobo by the end of the year, so hopefully that will be rectified. If you care to, please go ahead and send; we'll see if I can play it...

-- Bob
---------
Dokkoida
Well, I'll be happy to burn up some CDRs and send 'em to you, Bob. I think I have your address around here somewhere. If not, I'll bug you for it.
As for generally sharing the files, this is not going to happen. I'd like to, but 200MB AVIs and my crappy dialup just don't mix. I suggest looking for it through the usual channels that fansubs are distributed through... whatever those are. I get stuff when I visit an old friend of mine, using the station wagon full of tapes method.
Re: Dokkoida
Quote:
Well, I'll be happy to burn up some CDRs and send 'em to you, Bob.
Thanks!
Quote:
I think I have your address around here somewhere. If not, I'll bug you for it.
Sure, no problem.

-- Bob
---------
And away it goes... It doesn't even have to go out of state, so you ought to be getting it presently.
At any rate, since it's a comedy, there don't seem to be any exceptional threats. While the bad guys are apparently A-list galactic criminals, one really wonders how they got that rating. They tend to not be that effective (e.g. attacking our heroes with a koala), or aren't very interested in pursuing large-scale evil (e.g. going on a mecha rampage to steal a copy of a video game). Well, I guess the magical girl can be pretty destructive when she's sufficiently pissed off.
Anyway, I figure Doug could treat the whole thing as a vacation without feeling guilty about shirking.
Quote:
And away it goes... It doesn't even have to go out of state, so you ought to be getting it presently.
I got'em two days ago; thanks! Haven't watched'em yet -- the pre-vacation festivities have been keeping me busy. If I get a chance I'll try to take a look tonight, and find out if my PC is up to the challenge. (If it's not, I've already earmarked $300 or so of my coming first royalty check for Shifters for a new mobo and chip... figure in a month or two.)

-- Bob
---------
Re: Random Musings on Future Steps
Quote:
Of late, I've been thinking thoughts about putting Doug in worlds where his metagifts would be mostly useless in dealing with the kind of plot that might evolve therein.
Well, there's always the universe of Silent Mobius, where people in the know acknowledge that magic is real. Might be interesting to see Doug in a place where he's not even close to the most powerfully gifted one around.
Regards,
Jeanne Hedge
http://www.jhedge.com
Silent Mobius is in fact on the roster for my hypothetical sequel series "Drunkard's Vacation", in which Doug and Shadowwalker together go bopping (in a more controlled fashion) through several universes. I just wanted to see Maggie shred a Lucifer Hawk by screaming at it... or using her shadow teleport to yank one out of a wall while it's trying to ooze away from the scene of a crime.
Also, someone here -- I forget whom at the moment -- once suggested that Doug would have a really interesting experience if he were to magesight what's-her-name, the one who's captain, I think it was -- the one with the unusual genetics.

-- Bob
---------
"Flan on!" -- The battlecry of the Human Dessert
Quote:
Silent Mobius is in fact on the roster for my hypothetical sequel series "Drunkard's Vacation"
Cool Smile Now you just have to set aside the gazillion and one other things you've got going to write it. Probably sometime around the heat death of the universe?
Quote:
Also, someone here -- I forget whom at the moment -- once suggested that Doug would have a really interesting experience if he were to magesight what's-her-name, the one who's captain, I think it was -- the one with the unusual genetics.
That would be Rally Cheyenne, the founder and supreme commander of the AMP. I say "supreme commander" because about half-way through the manga she got so busy with other things (like buying the Tokyo PD so as to save the city from big business and greedy politicians) she brought in an old friend and police captain from a different district, Mana Isozaki, to take over day-to-day command of the AMP. (Mana is exorcist, but always seemed to be more of a mage - although not in Katsumi's league - to me)
In a typical "the manga is different" situation, Mana is part of the AMP from day 1 in the TV series.
Jeanne

Jeanne Hedge
www.jhedge.com
go.compuserve.com/Comic

[Image: 6bf36ddc1d2c96930d75576c361a9b3f8152885f.gif]Jeanne Hedge
www.jhedge.com

"Believe me, if I have to go the rest of my life without companionship, knowing myself won't be a problem."
-- Gabrielle of Potadeia
Quote:
Cool Smile Now you just have to set aside the gazillion and one other things you've got going to write it. Probably sometime around the heat death of the universe?
Yeah, probably.
Quote:
That would be Rally Cheyenne, the founder and supreme commander of the AMP.
Right, that's the name.
Mind you, my Silent Mobius experience is a little thin right now -- the movie, some eps of the series -- but it was one of Peggy's favorites for a while. I'd be writing this installment mostly for her fun, although I'd certainly enjoy myself in the process!

-- Bob
---------
RE: Silent Moebius
Silent Moebius is a delightful series, and Asamiya is always threatening to write that sequel 'the way he would have done the original series without an editor breathing down his neck' .. not that it wasn't insanely morbid in places already.
Just for starters, as I recall, he originally wanted to have the series be more international in scope and operate out of Okinawa or something to that effect.
Of course, with his work over at Marvel, last time I checked, his schedule is probably a little too busy to be working on his older titles at the moment.
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead
Re: RE: Silent Moebius
Yeah, probably.

-- Bob
---------
Cap'n K -- I've rediscovered the Dokkoida discs you sent me. As soon as I'm done with Abenobashi (I'm about halfway through), I'll jump into them.
And since I mentioned Abenobashi... yow. Can we say mondo weird? Obviously that was a day they handed out the happy pills at Gainax... Everything you ever said about this series is right on the money, and then some... You do realize, of course, that Sassi's elder sister is Rei Ayanami on amphetamines? (Of course, her showing up in Rei's ep. 26 "alternate world" school uniform in the shojo/dating game episode, complete with toast in mouth while running only proves it...)
As to putting Doug in it? Augh. I'd get whiplash trying to write it!

-- Bob
---------
Re: Abenobashi and Dokkoida
Yeah, Abenobashi is great, huh?
Come on -- a very short superhero themed step. It's not as though the kids are ever in any of these worlds for more than a day or so, and they all share the same problem, which is simply that they want out. Just throw together a bunch of comic book cliches, then go over the top with them. Once you see ep. 12 you'll realize how little of a plot there actually has to be to any of these things.
It's just that with two stories both about jumping to fictional worlds, how could there not be a crossover?
As for Dokkoida, like I said, Doug would work best as an observer, at least based on what I've seen. I'll be getting some more of them next week. Certainly he's far too competent to be a fair match against anyone else over there, so he couldn't get involved.