Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Public Knowledge
Public Knowledge
Okay, just to start things off, I'll reiterate in one place everything I've publicly stated about future destinations in the Walk.
On Permanent Hold:
DW1
Being Written Right Now:
DW3: Sana-chan no Omocha, set in the series Kodomo no Omocha
DW5: Holy, Holy, Holy... Cow! -- set in Ah! My Goddess
Unnumbered: Angel Baby -- set in Neon Genesis Evangelion
Unwritten, but plotted out:
DW10: Walking Into The Storm -- Multi-crossover with Ed Becerra's Legion's Quest metaseries, the movie Zeram, and one other (fan) series to be announced when this is actually written.
In Embryonic Planning Stages:
A Fox In The Hina-House (really bad working title) -- Love Hina
Legion's Quest: Girls, Girls, Girls -- a possible followup to DW10, in collaboration with Ed Becerra
Started But Abandoned:
Harry Potter and the Man From Otherearth
Charmed, I'm Sure -- set in the TV series Charmed (before Pru's death)
An unnamed Step in the world of Buffy The Vampire Slayer
I'm not listing things that I haven't actually started writing in one way or another, as they're not guaranteed to actually go anywhere; things like the Slayers, Well World and Buckaroo Banzai Steps may end up simply being placeholders.

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Re: Public Knowledge
I notice you don't have DW4 listed. Is this planned but secret, or is there just some numerological reason that Ah My Goddess should be number 5?
Oh, DW4 has long been the Buckaroo Banzai Step. I just am at a loss for my plotting, and to tell the truth, DW5 has far-reaching implications for subsequent Steps. (This may be a bit of a spoiler, but it has a direct effect on the plotline of the unnumbered Evangelion Step.)

-- Bob
---------
I, for one, have looked forward to Doug crossing paths with Buckaroo Banzai and the Hong Kong Cavaliers since I first read that Chp. 4 might include that. As a long time fan of Buckaroo Banzai, and as a strong fan of Drunkard's Walk, I really hope you do go forward with it.
I assume you have read the book? It includes a few brief allusions to other Buckaroo Banzai adventures, such as Bastardy Proved a Spur that could really prove interesting.
-Kevin
Oh, yeah. (You couldn't tell from the references to Hanoi Xan on the webpage?) I have an original first printing of the paperback from 1984 (85? Gotta go look now). I always loved the "middle of a series" feel of the book.
Have you seen the DVD? They keep up the conceit that Buckaroo is real -- the commentary track is WD Richter and someone who claims to be the "real" Reno, commenting on the "dramatization". (I suspect "Reno" was actually Earl MacRauch, the author/screenwriter.) It also has outtakes which refer to Hanoi Xan!
Anyway, the thumbnail version of the plot on the DWMain page was almost obvious when I came up with it -- the problem is making it a real story. I suspect that if I get a good title (although I have a certain fondness for my working title, it doesn't have the right BB "feel" to it), it just might trigger my muse into coming up with something for me.
-- Bob
---------
Buckaroo Banzai
Quote:
Have you seen the DVD? They keep up the conceit that Buckaroo is real -- the commentary track is WD Richter and someone who claims to be the "real" Reno, commenting on the "dramatization". (I suspect "Reno" was actually Earl MacRauch, the author/screenwriter.) It also has outtakes which refer to Hanoi Xan!

Reno of Memphis was, as he was in the film, Pepe Serna. A fine character actor who has semi-retired to a life of painting, as far as I've been able to tell. He was also in "Silverado" as one of the more articulate thugs (i.e., he had lines before being shot by Kevin Kline).
If you do decide to do a Step into the Banzai-verse, may I recommend that you write it from Reno's point of view, in keeping with the feel of the book?
Ebony the Black Dragon
aka Draco Draconis Ebenium
known to the Banzai Institute as Aaron F. Johnson
Senior Editor, Living Room Games
www.lrgames.com
(BBI #1442)
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Re: Buckaroo Banzai
Quote:
Reno of Memphis was, as he was in the film, Pepe Serna.
Wow. I didn't know that. (Obviously...)
Quote:
If you do decide to do a Step into the Banzai-verse, may I recommend that you write it from Reno's point of view, in keeping with the feel of the book?
I wanted very much to try to reproduce that style and flavor -- but I'd still probably alternate it with Doug's "journals", if only because it's so much fun to write Doug's ignorance.

-- Bob
---------
Buckaroo Banzai
Quote:
Wow. I didn't know that. (Obviously...)

Well, now you know. As I typed that, my pop-culture-infected brain immediately jumped to, "And knowing is half the battle...." and I thought, "Hey, Doug could jump to the G.I. Joe-verse!" It's a bit cheezy, but the comics had good moments.
Ebony the Black Dragon
aka Draco Draconis Ebenium
known to the Marvel Universe as Aaron F. Johnson
Senior Editor, Living Room Games
www.lrgames.com
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Re: Buckaroo Banzai
Quote:
"Hey, Doug could jump to the G.I. Joe-verse!" It's a bit cheezy, but the comics had good moments.
Doug appears and somehow become attached to GIJoe; Cobra hears about a "new secret weapon of indescribable power"; hilarity ensues?
Sounds like fun! [Image: smile.gif] -Z
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programms, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.