Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Missteps

Quote:Which means that so are Twisted Path, Legion's Quest, Undocumented Features, and a slew or two of others. Including at least one Battletech universe...
Well, yes... I cover this in the DW FAQ, actually:

Quote:Q: Does Drunkard's Walk crossover with any other fanfic series?
A: Yes, several, in fact. Readers may recall that Legion and Minerva from Ed Becerra's megaseries Legion's Quest appear in chapter 5 of Drunkard's Walk II. It's no secret, between their dialogue and the information on the main DW page on this site, that Drunkard's Walk X is intended to explicitly pair up Doug and Legion for a joint adventure.

Establishing that DW and Legion's Quest exist in the same "meta-continuity" means that the (in)famous Twisted Path series by Twister is also contiguous with DW, by virtue of its close integration with LQ. And since the beginning of Barry Cadwgan's A Wolf In Crisis specifically intersects (however briefly) with events from the end of Twisted Path 3, it, too, is part of the same continuum.

The incomplete Legion's Quest story entitled "Mi Vida Loco" also links in Jeff Hosmer's Dirty Pair saga, featuring Jusenkyo-cursed Zen. You can find those stories on his page, under the great, big "DIRTY PAIR / CROSSOVERS" headline.

(Ed's use of the Undocumented Features universe in his first LQ story, though, was unauthorized by Ben "Gryphon" Hutchins, the central editorial force behind the EPU creative collective, and any place it claims in UF continuity has been rejected as invalid and nonexistent. Beyond that, the UF universe has been officially closed to new authors for many years. Therefore, out of deference to Gryphon, I will not presume to say that DW can possibly intersect with UF.)

Furthermore, we have Mark Latus' permission to include Titanite (aka Titania Hobbes and Sailor Polaris) from the Dark Kingdom Renegades in Drunkard's Walk X. This will draw the Sailor Moon Expanded project into the meta-continuity, even though Titanite's presence is only one of her "Bogosity" stops.

Then there is, of course, Drunkard's Walk V, which explicitly crosses over with Christopher Angel's Oh! My Goddess self-insert fic, Oh! My Brother!. And OMB naturally draws in with it all the "subuniverses" found in God's Toy and its affiliated "omake" series, God's Toychest.

Doug visits Fenspace, the shared-world weird-tech space opera setting born and written on my discussion forums, in the prologue for Rob Kelk's story Galactic Girls. While this is a Stagger, or fan-written story, I consulted heavily on it and I consider it as official as it can get without me actually writing it myself.

Finally, Drunkard's Walk appears as itself -- as a fic -- in Craig Reed's Bubblegum Avatar. It is included in a collection of fanfiction that is provided to Sylia Stingray along with other Bubblegum Crisis materials -- plus Craig Reed's self-insert character -- by Ishmael, a godlike being who needs an agent to act in that particular BGC universe. Craig's Sylia apparently finds Doug amusing when he's not actually in her face, because she makes Craig use Doug's name as an alias on several occasions. Ishmael also explicitly states that the fanfics he's provided all detail existing alternate universes, which expands the realm of possible cross-connections with DW by a couple more orders of magnitude than I think I really want to deal with.

All other fics or fic series which explicitly intersect with any of these stories would also belong in the greater multiverse so defined, but at this writing, I'm not aware of any other candidates for inclusion. Besides, don't you think that's enough already?

If you're curious as to what this greater continuum actually looks like, though, long-time reader and forum member M. Fnord, with help from the greater Drunkard's Walk Forum community, assembled in September 2007 an impressive diagram of the interconnections, which you may download here. (Warning -- it's freakin' huge.)

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Something like this is all about the concept though, gentlemen...

and CPP fits the concept better IMO.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Yeah, Doug, I was just taking advantage of the opportunity to drop in the "Doug vs Mech - Beckett" scene.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

There are plenty of truly messed up worlds that Doug would find visiting unpleasant. As in the world is seriously f***ed up and he doen't have the power to
change that. In cases like Code Geas or A Song of Ice and Fire, he is powerful enough to change things for the better.

Elfin Lied

Hellsing

Berserk

Narutaru

Bokurano

Hellsing might actually be doable, dependant on when Doug arrives, what songs he has on tap, and whether or not there's a Node he can tap. Of the vamps
seen, only Al and possibly Seras (dependant on series) are actually daywalkers. Imagine what a song about sunrise could do to an bloodsucking army. Hell, all
you really need is a nice hydrogen fusion ball as an artificial sun.

And while I do not partake in The Game, I still shudder to think what Black Hole Sun would do...

Cued up for DW13: "Here Comes The Sun" by the Beatles.
-- Bob
---------

Quote:And while I do not partake in The Game, I still shudder to think what Black Hole Sun would do...
I recall seeing "Black Hole Sun in DWII... I think.
Quote:Cued up for DW13: "Here Comes The Sun" by the Beatles.
What, Doug's not going to try "Hopelessly Human" right off the bat?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Quote:I recall seeing "Black Hole Sun in DWII... I think.
Correct.
Quote:What, Doug's not going to try "Hopelessly Human" right off the bat?
Only if he can get his hands on a Stonehenge and another wizard -- and the vampires in question will stand still long enough.
-- Bob
---------

Quote:Only if he can get his hands on a Stonehenge and another wizard
Borrow that Stonehenge that Spinal Tap takes on tour.

As for the wizard, wouldn't Willow do?
Quote:and the vampires in question will stand still long enough.
Ah, yes - that's the tricky part.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Cued up for DW13: "Here Comes The Sun" by the Beatles.
For a sillier approach - remember what I suggested as an effect for "The Itsy-Bitsy Spider"?

Produces a localized, *heavy* rainstorm, suitable to drench everything in the area, followed by the sun coming up and drying everything up again. All over the course of about 20 seconds, because the song doesn't last any longer than that.

Oh - and Gantz.

Quote: robkelk wrote:

Quote: Only if he can get his hands on a Stonehenge and another wizard
Borrow that Stonehenge that Spinal Tap takes on tour.

As for the wizard, wouldn't Willow do?

Quote: and the vampires in question will stand still long enough.
Ah, yes - that's the tricky part.
Bets that Angel would?
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Um. Before this goes too far -- the functional part of the entire event was a ritual that Dwimanor worked up, invoking every relevant deity and its dog. Doug playing "Hopelessly Human" during the process was the result of a hunch on Dwim's part that it would reinforce the ritual. It wasn't the actual thing that did the job.
-- Bob
---------