Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NanoSteps -- the brainstorming thread

Darn my traitorous fingers! Thanks for the catch. I'll fix it when I get back to my computer; stupid phone won't let me scroll down far enough to change it.

Quote:It had been five against one. All I'd done was even up the odds a little. She managed to get one before they took her down. I got the other four before they could make sure she stayed down.

She stepped back away from me, glancing quickly around, scanning for an escape. One hand was poised to go for a gun, the rest of her body would've been running away if she wasn't so keen on protecting that old bike of hers. Pale pink blood was running from a gash in her forehead. She wasn't human?

Her eyes darted to my face, down to my jacket, and to my motorcycle parked at the other end of the alleyway.

"Who are you?" she demanded in an odd Japanese accent. It was a dialect I'd heard a long time ago, and couldn't quite place. It was one I was certain I'd heard before.

I stepped back, making it clear I meant her no harm. "Douglas Sangnoir, at your service."

She winced. "I was afraid you'd say that,"

I can't believe I missed this one while compiling the list of existing NanoSteps. I started the thread it's in, after all...

"And as the sun sets on Frostbite Falls, three questions remain to be asked: Who is this strange man spying on our heroes? Where did he get that motorcycle? And why is his animation budget so much higher than the rest of this show? Be with us next time for 'Loon Over Miami,' or 'Ragnarok and Roll!'"

http://drunkardswalkforums.yuku.com/top ... /1/?page=1](by Evil Midnight Lurker)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

And this one is definitely non-canonical. If it was to happen, I can't see any way for Doug to survive...

"Gentlemen! You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

With that name, it seems like a perfectly good place to fight to me, Mister President.
--
Rob Kelk

HoagieOfDoom Wrote:Why not make a locked sticky solely for storing the NanoSteps? This thread then turns into the "brainstorming room".
That's a good idea.  I'll do just that, and rename this thread accordingly.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Thanks for making the obvious alteration when you copied my second nanostep to the master thread. I've edited it into the post.

---

"I swear to crap, if Doctor Rumack comes into this cockpit to wish us good luck one more time, I'm going to force feed him the fish dinner."

I've been fighting posting this one, but, I'm tired so, I gave in:

Quote:"Shpadoinkle!?" 

The big man grinned down at me, his violent expression fading as quickly as it had risen in the face of the attacking thieves. "You look like a clown, talk like a fool, and that music sounds like someone killing cats," he pronounced. "But you fight better than any Aquilonian." He slapped me across the shoulders, and I felt the polykev stiffen under the blow. "Come! We will see if you can drink like a Cimmerian."
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Quote:But you already knew that. Right?
Mais oui.
ETA:  I should note, by the way, that Doug of course being Doug, he -- like Dr. Rumack -- had the lasagne.
-- Bob
---------

Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:

Quote:But you already knew that. Right?
Mais oui.
ETA:  I should note, by the way, that Doug of course being Doug, he -- like Dr. Rumack -- had the lasagne.
Would that be the effect of Dean Martin's "Mambo Italiano"? Smile
EDIT: Getting the lasagna, rather than the fish or chicken, I mean.

Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Quote:SOS. SOS. This is an SOS call from the Jupiter mining ship Red Dwarf. Just in case you haven't understood that we are in Distress. The crew have been killed by a radiation leak 3 million years ago. The only survivors: Dave Lister, the last human being alive, Arnold Rimmer, a hologram of his dead bunkmate, a creature that evolved from the ship's Cat, Kryten, a neurotic mechanoid who's a few bits short of a full byte and Doug Sangnoir, a visitor from alternate dimension. We have been cast adrift in a Godless, uninhabited, hostile and utterly meaningless universe and worst of all, we have just run out of fresh clean underwear. Message repeats. SOS. SOS. This is an SOS call from.... oh sod it nobody's alive to listen to me anyway."

"The poor girl's only crime - if you can even call it a crime - was to spurn the advances of the local monseigneur. That's hardly worth the death penalty, let alone sending her entire family to the gallows on false charges."

"I do agree with you there, Douglas. I was asking why you put yourself in the position of rescuing her and her family from certain death mere moments before they were to be killed."

"Well, it could be that I didn't have any other option to save them all, or that it was the last thing that the guards were expecting. But if anybody asks, Sir Percy, tell then it was for the sport of it."

"'For the sport of it.' I must remember that phrase."

--
Rob Kelk

Oh, I like that, Rob. A modern superhero advising the character who is arguably the Ur-superhero -- or at least the originator of many of the tropes later claimed by superheroes.
-- Bob
---------

OK, I just numbered all the Steps, and added a spoiler-tagged key to their settings in the Nanosteps thread. I'd appreciate it if folks would eyeball it and make sure I didn't mess anything up -- and to fill me in on the one or two I'm not sure about -- like #15 and 34. Thanks.
-- Bob
---------

For #15, I'm not sure if there is an overall title for those novels.  I can, however, give you the titles of the 3 books in the series.
Oath of Swords, The War God's Own, and Wind Rider's Oath.
Also, for #46, you have it listed as: The Dresden Files, again
I don't think the 'again' applies as there's no other Dresden Files entries in the list.

Quote:16. Star Trek, the Original Series, episode "Assignment: Earth"
Correct series, correct characters... but wrong episode. "Assignment: Earth" was set in 1968; "Tomorrow Is Yesterday" was set in 1969.

This is Gary Seven's second encounter with the USS Enterprise (although he's never actually face-to-face with Kirk &co), but the USS Enterprise's first time-travel trip to the 1960s. (C'mon, with all the blunders they made while they were there, somebody had to clean up after them...)

Quote:20. Sleeping With The Girls
Nope, this one is Blackaeronaut's megacrossover Dear Sweet Kami-Sama, Why Do You Hate Me So?

Quote:54. Batman
Technically Batman Beyond, but close enough for fanfic.
--
Rob Kelk

Timote Wrote:Also, for #46, you have it listed as: The Dresden Files, again
I don't think the 'again' applies as there's no other Dresden Files entries in the list.
Other than Number 6...

Hmmmmm... Number 6...

Blast. I want to write a Prisoner NanoStep, but I'm coming up empty.
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:Nope, this one is Blackaeronaut's megacrossover Dear Sweet Kami-Sama, Why Do You Hate Me So?
And that's what I was thinking when I made that entry, but my fingers apparently had a different idea completely. Sorry, BA.
-- Bob
---------

It's cool, Bob. It actually kinda feels like having my work likened unto that of Admiral Tigerclaw's.

robkelk Wrote:
Timote Wrote:Also, for #46, you have it listed as: The Dresden Files, again
Other than Number 6...
Hmmmmm... Number 6...
Blast. I want to write a Prisoner NanoStep, but I'm coming up empty.
dammit, how did I miss that one.

"Report, Number 2... Number 2?  What the hell is wrong with you?"
"...I haven't slept in a week... Nothing's gone right since he... OH GOD PLEASE HELP ME!  WE CAN'T GET HIM TO LEAVE!"
-----
"I'm begging you, Colonel Sangnoir!  Please, please don't tell the Chief..."
It was remarkably difficult to resist two sets of puppy dog eyes at once, especially considering one set belonged to an actual canine-type.
"How am I supposed to just let this go?!  Look, you may be the second most competent ten-year-old girl I've ever met, but you're still ten!  This should not be your life!  Or your dog's."
"You don't understand!  If Interpol knew the truth, Uncle's reputation would be ruined... losing his job would destroy him... and we couldn't operate undercover anymore, and no one else is as good at this as we are!  I know we've backed ourselves into a horrible corner... but the only way out of it is to break their organization, and if that's what it takes to save Uncle and the world, then we're going to keep fighting them until the end!"
Well, damn.  That kind of resolve coupled with their undeniable skills... I had no way of stopping them that wouldn't make matters worse.
"Okay.  If that's your last word... then here's how it's going to be.
"You fill me in on everything you know about their operations, their bases, leadership, all of it... and then we take them down, for good.  We'll even work out a way to give your uncle all the credit.  And then he can retire, the two of you get to have lives, and I can move on and get out of your hair.  Sound good?"
"...That sounds wonderful, Colonel!  If you really think we can do it...
She stared out the window for a moment, then whispered: "We'll get you next time, Doctor Claw.  Next time..."
--Sam
"Why do I put up with him?"

the first one's so short I cant guess, the best I can do is narrow it down to either the prisoner or Austin Powers

but I love the
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Oh, the first one is clearly
-- which was all about someone trying to escape.

Both of those are now up in the thread.

Oh, and my mind went sideways when my eyes fell on this again:
Quote:"You don't want to see what's inside my head, Judge Anderson."
And all I could think was, what did Doug do to get himself hauled into Night Court?
-- Bob
---------

First one's Prisoner, yes.
--Sam
"I'm always on duty!"

The second is clearly Inspector Gadget.