Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NanoSteps -- the brainstorming thread

I was reading through the nanosteps again and it occured to me that in #87 (Avatar: the Last Airbender), after Doug thrashes Azula and friends, it would be just Doug's luck for Azula to pull a Kuno and decide he's the perfect man for her.

ClassicDrogn Wrote:Hmm. Plainly an opportunity to get some use out of "Talk To The Animals" and the Mr. Ed themesong, but I'm coming up blank on a shapeshift-to-four-legs effect. Because they're obviously better than having two.
If I recall correctly, Doug's very first in-game song does this... You know, Eye of the Tiger.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

robkelk Wrote:
ClassicDrogn Wrote:Hmm. Plainly an opportunity to get some use out of "Talk To The Animals" and the Mr. Ed themesong, but I'm coming up blank on a shapeshift-to-four-legs effect. Because they're obviously better than having two.

If I recall correctly, Doug's very first in-game song does this... You know, Eye of the Tiger.

To say nothing of Metallica's "Of Wolf and Man," which a song specifically about being a werewolf. Of course, neither a wolf nor a tiger would fit very well into Napoleon and Snowflake's little workers' Utopia, so those wouldn't be the best choices.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Maybe "I Didn't Write This" by MC Ham? It features "I'm a ham - he's a ham - what a ham - such a ham - and that suits me okay" but it's, well, rap. Comedy rap, but still rap.

There's a Dr. Demento-successor podcast link including it on this page.

- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

Ebony Wrote:
robkelk Wrote:
To say nothing of Metallica's "Of Wolf and Man," which a song specifically about being a werewolf. Of course, neither a wolf nor a tiger would fit very well into Napoleon and Snowflake's little workers' Utopia, so those wouldn't be the best choices.
Considering how Napoleon and Snowflake's little workers' Utopia turned out, I think these might be excellent choices, actually...
--
Rob Kelk

Please excuse me if this has been mentioned before, but what would happen if Doug landed in Homestuck?
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

Jorlem Wrote:Please excuse me if this has been mentioned before, but what would happen if Doug landed in Homestuck?

Mass hysteria. Dogs and cats sleeping together.

Oh wait, that's "Ghostbusters." Seriously, though, given Doug's proclivity for chaos, I think that Homestuck's already confusing plot would get even stranger with Doug in the mix.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

"Mike, I don't know what to do here. Credible witnesses say this guy came out of a hole in the air that sounds suspiciously like a pocket-sized Ring of Fire. His helmet's got a computer in it that's smaller and more advanced than anything I ever saw uptime. He's carrying an electronic ID dated 1998 that projects holograms of both him and his qualifications -- and before you ask, it says he's Colonel Douglas Quincy Sangnoir of the United Nations Metahuman Peacekeeping Force Warriors Alpha. His motorcycle is powered by a turbine made of some kind of ceramic, and it was floating about a foot off the ground when it came to a stop. Its cargo carriers are bigger on the freaking inside than they are on the outside -- we've pulled a couple cubic yards of crap out of them so far and we haven't hit bottom yet. And his laptop computer is apparently the home of a very pissed off Japanese schoolgirl who wants to know what the hell we're doing with him, her and all his stuff. I'm half-afraid to tell her he took a downtime musket ball through the chest as he arrived."

Mike Stearns stared disbelievingly at the radio. "...Japanese schoolgirl?"

There was a crackle of static, then: "Don't quote me on this, but I think she's an AI -- she can see us, learned our names, recognizes each of us on sight, and always has a few choice words for us, including a lot of what I think is Japanese profanity. If she's just a fancy Eliza program, I'll eat my hat." A pause. "So what should I do?"

Stearns glanced at his wife Rebecca, who looked as stunned as he felt. "Why not just apologize to her, bury the body, and ship her and everything else here to Magdeburg?"

Even despite the staticky signal, the sigh from the other end was audible. "That's the other thing -- I don't know how, but Sangnoir survived. His chest has a hole the size of a baseball in it, but he's still alive and holding on. Sharon's taking care of him, but she's talking about waiting until he heals up and then cutting him open to find out why he won't die." There was another pause. "I think she's joking."

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

As near as I could tell from Dr. Arroway, the aliens that she claimed to have contacted had discovered proof of the existence of God in some strings of digits embedded in irrational numbers. Not the gods that I had met, but a full-blown omnipotent Creator.

I didn't have the heart to tell her that some very intelligent mathematicians think those irrational numbers are normal, with every possible finite string of digits included in them somewhere. If that's the case, and this was what those aliens took for proof of a Creator... well, they were just as human as us, at least in that way.

(EDITED to include feedback)
--
Rob Kelk

Okay, I recognized the Contact reference, but... surely Doug meant to say "Every possible finite string of digits." After all, any given irrational number is represented in the numeric base of your choice as an infinitely long string of digits not replicated by any other irrational number as represented in that same base. That's the detail that the Diagonalization Proof of the Uncountability of the Real numbers hinges on.

I have GOT to stop coming out of these jumps in the middle of a fight. Especially one I have no chance of even affecting, much less winning. In this particular case I was on some sort of spacecraft bridge, judging by the look of all the computer displays and control panels. The tactical display showed what looked like an entire solar system, so I figured 'spaceship' was as good an answer as any.

A couple of the locals' security goons were already closing on me when the pretty brunette at what looked an awful lot like a weapons console touched a control, and a couple of the blips on the tac display started flashing red and yellow... then faded out into empty red circles.

From what I would learn later, I have to say I fully agree with the rather me-like tone of her voice as she put on that Looney-Tunes smile and said, "Oops."
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Inquisitive Raven Wrote:Okay, I recognized the Contact reference, but... surely Doug meant to say "Every possible finite string of digits." After all, any given irrational number is represented in the numeric base of your choice as an infinitely long string of digits not replicated by any other irrational number as represented in that same base. That's the detail that the Diagonalization Proof of the Uncountability of the Real numbers hinges on.
Well, yes... but does Doug know that much math?
--
Rob Kelk

He's an engineer, a computer scientist and a cyberneticist... yes.
-- Bob
---------

Okay... Post edited.
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:The mech's body was a face. Big, fat dark and ugly with a leering grin, an oversized crocodile's skull as big as a London bus, riding stumpy legs, with a stubby pair of arms where its ears should have been. It was.... hilarious. The face-bot was incredulous, raising one of it's stumpy legs with a bellow of fury.

"A mere human, laughing in the face of the Spiral King's finest. Die!"

It brought it's foot stomping down, an earthquake strike that shook the planet itself.

I grinned, rolling out of the dust. "I am no mere human,"

I'd failed to notice the cracks spreading across the ground beneath me....

Surprising this hasn't been done yet.

"Give it up, Gru!" I shouted as I struggled to get free of the restrictive goop which encased me from feet to neck. "You'll not escape justice today!"

"It is to make me laugh," Gru responded sardonically, his vaguely Eastern European accent adding a sinister air to his words. "You seem to not be noticing it is I who have captured you, Douglas. I will be taking you back to my lair, because this is night I need babysitter for the girls, as I mentioned last week." He leaned forward, a crease of worry forming on his brow. "Unless your plans have changed and you are no longer free?"

I managed to work one arm free and shook my fist at him with a friendly grin. "I'm free tonight, Gru, but you won't be when I turn you over to the authorities."

"Eh," he grunted with a shrug. "As long as the girls don't eat too many sweets or stay up past their bedtime, your threats mean nothing to me! I will not be thwarted by the likes of you, not tonight!"

I nodded. "Tomorrow then? My schedule's open all morning."

He tilted his head and considered this, then nodded back. "Yes, I think I can do that."

"Excellent, it's a date." As I struggled to free my other arm, I looked down at the technicolor glob holding me tight. "Can I get a little help here, then?"

"Eh? Oh, sure, sure." Gru clapped his hands. "Larry, Steve, Dave, on the double," he called, and a trio of those weird little yellow guys who worked for him appeared out of nowhere. "Good, good. I want you to carry the babysit... er, the prisoner back to the house." The three walking cold capsules made a storm of affirmative noises. Then, burbling continuously in that almost-English of theirs, they hoisted me on their shoulders and started to carry me off.

"Have a good evening, Gru," I called out with a friendly wave of my one free limb.

"I plan to," he said with a smirk, "but you will not. I believe that Margo has developed a crush on you, Douglas. And I shall be leaving you to her tender mercies."

Oh, joy. If I didn't get out of this blob before we got to the house, I was going to end the night with a face covered in lip gloss. Damn, Gru was a sadistic bastard when he wanted to be.
-- Bob
---------

*snerk* 8)

Okay, for those still playing along at home, this was set in the world of Despicable Me. Although Gru and Doug's relationship is deliberately informed by the old Warner Brothers "Sam and Ralph" cartoons -- the ones about the coyote and the sheepdog who are adversaries on the clock and friends off.
-- Bob
---------

Pretty much what I thought. Glad to see I'm not always completely clueless Big Grin
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

I apologize . . . this got jammed in my brain and wouldn't let me sleep until I shared it:
Quote:I wasn’t quite sure what to expect.  All of the yes-men and sycophants you’d expect to hang around the President of the United States buzzed around me like flies.  I couldn’t wait until the stupid press event was over.  All I could hear, over and over, were the toadies croaking about this guy’s accomplishments:

“President Obooma balanced the budget in his first year.”

“President Obooma got affordable healthcare for everyone.”

“President Obooma worked out a Middle-East peace plan, and they’re sticking to it.”

Honestly, it was getting tedious.  But, ever the good soldier boy, I stood tall and kept my head up.  It was a few more minutes before the band struck up “Hail to the Chief.”  I let out a sigh and knew it would be over soon.  I looked to the side and saw the first members of the secret service enter the room.

Then I saw the President.  I knew it wasn’t appropriate, but, I couldn’t help it.

“HE’S A CHICKEN!  HE’S A GIANT CHICKEN!”

Everyone looked at me in surprise.  But, in plain view was a six-foot tall, Leghorn rooster-complete with wattles and a comb.  He was wearing a blue blazer, but that was it.  How everyone in this room thought he was a human was beyond me.  As everyone stared, he even bent down and pecked at the ground for a moment.

“Please tell me this is some sort of sick joke?”

Quote:Eimi loves it here. I'm getting a saccharine overload. Neither of us really fit in.

For one thing, I'm a human and Eimi's a PC. The natives are horses. Not that horses aren't people - Sylvath is more of a real person than Quincy ever was - but the entire town's designed for them, not for us.

For another, the pink one threw us a welcome party... which is still going, three days after we got here. I'm not good with parties. There are too many ways my "finite improbability field" (as Eimi calls it) can wreak havoc in a crowd. Especially when everybody else in the crowd is bigger than I am.

And this looks like it's one of those universes where nothing exciting ever happens.

I just know I'm going to be bored here.

[size=smaller]Edit: Just realized my phrasing: "I'm a human and Eimi's a PC." Too bad Doug's not named "Mac"... [/size]
--
Rob Kelk

For best effect, Doug's line comes the evening before the morning when Discord revives.

- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

Heh. "Me and my big mouth."
-- Bob
---------

ClassicDrogn Wrote:For best effect, Doug's line comes the evening before the morning when Discord revives.
Well, duh...
--
Rob Kelk

So, your saying that doug will basily be the same scale as Spike?
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children