Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NanoSteps Brainstorming 2 - Stepping Out

Dartz Wrote:The statue, cast out of bronze as black as the darkest night, loomed like a monster out of some imaginary gloom. The effect was thrilling. Whoever this guy was, he knew the value of symbolism. He had a handle on the vigilante gig that wasn't easy to come by in any world. Especially in ones as otherwise ordinary as this.

"So, who was he?" I ask.

Gordon looks at me with a sad smile on his face.

"He was the Batman."

Spoiler [+]
Batman/Dark Knight.
The statue, cast out of bronze as black as the darkest night, loomed like a monster out of some imaginary gloom. The effect was thrilling.
Whoever this guy was, he knew the value of symbolism. He had a handle
on the vigilante gig that wasn't easy to come by in any world.
Especially in ones as otherwise ordinary as this.

"So, who was he?" I ask.

Gordon looks at me with a sad smile on his face.

"He was a man dressed like a bat."
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

LOL!
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"
A Variation of a Three Kingdoms Step
I opened my eyes to find myself in a grassy field.
Before I could figure out where I was, I blinked on seeing a curved scimitar-like blade hovering over me.
Said blade was projecting out of a helm shaped like the head of an Oriental dragon, that forming the end of a very thick polearm.
As a forgotten lesson in Chinese history came back to me, I realised this was a guandao or yanyuèdao, the naginata-like weapon that had once been welded by one of the most famous warriors in history, Guan Yu.
I then looked up at the person holding said blade.
I was expecting a man my age with a long flowing beard, dressed in rather plain clothing for rural China in the early Third Century C.E.
I certainly did NOT expect to see a teenage girl of all things with black hair tied in a long, stringy ponytail over the left ear.
And I certainly did NOT expect this person to be dressed in something that looked like a perverted mix of Chinese robes and Japanese girl's high school uniform.
Complete with thigh-high nylons and mary janes!
I could even see her panties, for Heaven's sakes!
What — the — HECK…?!
"Mas-…?"  I stopped myself just in time before asking, "Mistress Guan?"
She perked at that, and then she smiled.  Clearly, she was relieved about something.  As to what, I figured I was going to find out pretty soon.
She didn't disappoint me.
"You obviously must be the Messenger from Heaven that has been prophecised to bring peace to the land," she said as she withdrew her weapon away from me, then offered her hand to help me to my feet.  Well, I wasn't going to refuse that, so I allowed her to pull me up, which allowed me to learn quick that despite her being a teenage girl, she was quite strong.
"Thank you," I said, bowing to her.
She returned my bow.  "My name is Guan.  My style name is Yúncháng."  She then blushed.  "My given name is Àisha.  I give my name to you, Master."
Blinking, I nodded my head.
Well, when in Rome…!
"My name is Sangnoir.  My style name is Looney Toons, though I also accept Loon.  My given name is Doug.  And I give my name to you, Àisha."
And I would swear to my dying day that Àisha's cheeks became as red as cherries on her hearing me tell her that.
This was going to be one of those stops…
(Note that in this series, all the names are given with the Japanese on'yomi readings, so I switched them back to proper Mandarin pronunciation)
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"

By the way, how does one make the spoiler disappear into the "[+]" link icon?

Use the spoiler markup, which is the word "spoiler" in square brackets (and of course "/spoiler" in square brackets after).
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Thank you kindly, sir.

Quote:Pyeknu wrote:
Quote:Star Ranger4 wrote:
Does that mean if 'it' has kids you get to deal with N-Gons?
I would personally think ONE Gon is enough.
BTW, in case people are wondering, there is a Gon anime available now.  There are speaking parts, but Gon himself -- being portrayed as a very simple child -- just chants his name every once in a while.
And from what I've seen of it so far, it's as much a laugh-riot as the original manga.
I'm reasonably sure SR is trying to make a math joke; "n-gon" is a shorthand term for "polygon with n sides", a generic form of "pentagon", "hexagon", etc. The internal angles of a simple n-gon always add up to (n - 2)180º, for an example of the use.

I was never the best in mathematics.

And, I should add, they can be a right pain in the backside when your primary form of expression is via 3d modeling software like Blender, as 1) not all software can handle N-Gons and 2) those that do all tend to do it differently.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

(in Nipsey Russell drawl) "Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight . . . "
I'll take your word for it.
I'm Suprised No One Thought of THIS One
"Are you sure this is the right thing to do, Doug-san?"

I sighed.  "Yuki-chan, much that I understand the urgency of the situation, I can't ignore the fact that you violated a war grave — one bearing the remains of over two thousand people who died for their Emperor and country — to create this 'last best hope of humanity,'" I explained to the pretty radar operator. "You've already got too many things going against you. Given the beliefs of your ancestors…"

"I've already given him clearance to do this, Mori."

I turned to nod my thanks to the elderly space captain standing in front of his command chair, then I keyed my helmet's system.  "«System.  Saint Peter's Gate.  Play song.»"

«I was lost in the dark…and the fear was in my heart.
All around me, the forest and the rain.
Then with the flash of a light, I saw it in the night.
I must be getting near…Saint Peter's Gate.
»

"Attention on deck!" I heard Sanada Shiro's number two and the ship's engineering intelligence officer, Niimi Kaoru, bark out.

Everyone on the Number One bridge all snapped to attention as many ghostly images in mid-1940s Imperial Japanese Navy service dress appeared.  I immediately focused my eyes on the gentleman in the uniform of a captain from that era, saluting him.  "Aruga-taisa."

He returned my salute.  You need not have done this, Sangnoir-taisa, he said in the haunting voice one would associate with someone who had been dead for 254 years.  He then turned to gaze on Captain Okita for a moment before nodding, and then he and his comrades who had given up their lives in Operation:  Ten-go all snapped to attention.

A salute was given.  We stand relieved, Okita-taisa, Aruga Kosaku solemnly declared.

A salute was returned.  "We relieve you, Aruga-taisa," Okita Juzo solemnly replied.

And with that, the song ended and the ghosts faded.

"Let's go," Okita then ordered.

That was beautiful.

My pleasure.

Oh, wow.
-- Bob
---------

That was indeed glorious.  I rather suspect, though, that if you inquired of the original production team, they'd tell you the proper respectful ceremonies were conducted in-story, but it just wasn't portrayed on screen.  I somehow don't think the Japanese would forget that detail, even if they didn't show it.  Still, Doug calling up the spirits for a direct hand-over of duty was magnificent, an improvement over just bringing in a priest to light the incense and intone the formal words.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Oh, wow.
Glad you liked it.
BTW, I have asked this several times and I haven't got an answer:  Does Chris de Burgh exist as he is in our universe in Doug's universe?

DHBirr Wrote:That was indeed glorious.  I rather suspect, though, that if you inquired of the original production team, they'd tell you the proper respectful ceremonies were conducted in-story, but it just wasn't portrayed on screen.  I somehow don't think the Japanese would forget that detail, even if they didn't show it.  Still, Doug calling up the spirits for a direct hand-over of duty was magnificent, an improvement over just bringing in a priest to light the incense and intone the formal words.
Agreed.  And I'm sure that's the fact for all versions of Yamato.  But given that the ship was pretty much seen as the physical icon of Japan, showing such a ceremony as you indicated above in the latest version of the series would have been an appropriate touch.

Pyeknu Wrote:BTW, I have asked this several times and I haven't got an answer:  Does Chris de Burgh exist as he is in our universe in Doug's universe?
I see no reason why he wouldn't.  Despite a certain scene in DW2, I have played very fast and loose with what music was available to Doug in Warrior's World, despite the divergence between it and Our Time Line.  And of course, given that Doug "scavenges" music from every universe he visits, he basically has anything I can justify with a lazy handwave.  "Oh, that?  He picked up a copy on some dull little world between Steps Six and Seven."  We already know he has a good supply of pop/rock from the BGC universe dating all the way up to 2037 -- and it's possible he even has stuff from up to the 25th century, depending on how you want to interpret a throwaway line from the unreleased beginning of DW6...

tl;dr answer:  Yes, and Doug has access to anything/anyone else anyone asks about.
-- Bob
---------

*thumbs up*  Just wanted to make sure.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:
Pyeknu Wrote:BTW, I have asked this several times and I haven't got an answer:  Does Chris de Burgh exist as he is in our universe in Doug's universe?
I see no reason why he wouldn't.  Despite a certain scene in DW2, I have played very fast and loose with what music was available to Doug in Warrior's World, despite the divergence between it and Our Time Line.  And of course, given that Doug "scavenges" music from every universe he visits, he basically has anything I can justify with a lazy handwave.  "Oh, that?  He picked up a copy on some dull little world between Steps Six and Seven."  We already know he has a good supply of pop/rock from the BGC universe dating all the way up to 2037 -- and it's possible he even has stuff from up to the 25th century, depending on how you want to interpret a throwaway line from the unreleased beginning of DW6...

tl;dr answer:  Yes, and Doug has access to anything/anyone else anyone asks about.
How long until Doug's helmet sucks him into the media section of L-Space?
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

The real question is what happens the day he picks up his helmet, only to find an Orangutan in it.
-- Bob
---------

*Please leave a message after the Beep*

"Hi Bob. Its Star Ranger from the forums. You really need to take some vacation days and come out to California; there is someone here who you should Meet."
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
If Doug's World Wasn't Bad Enough…
I was trying to sleep.
Operative word:  Trying.
Unfortunately, my bedroom window's shattering inward made that impossible.
As I slowly opened my eyes, I heard a moan from the floor near my bed.  "Man…that was a good punch…!" someone male then said before I heard the shuffling sounds of said someone getting back up to his feet.
Oh, no!  Not again…!
I turned to gaze on the FIFTEENTH — Yep!  Count 'em, folks!  FIFTEENTH! — metahuman this WEEK to be bashed or blasted into my temporary apartment here on this world that would have given metahuman control activists back on MY Earth nightmares for the rest of their lives.
"'Wok-Man?'" I asked.
He, at least, had the courtesy to look sheepish.
"Sorry about that, Mister Loon," he said as he gave me a shrug.  "I'll fix it later, okay?"
I sighed.  "Don't bother.  I got it," I told him.  "Go have fun."
He blinked, and then grinned.  "Thanks!"
And with a whoosh!, he was flying out the window to rejoin whatever fight scene he was involved in.
Shaking my head, I reached over to tap the controls of my helmet to have it play We Built This City so my powers could repair the damage to my apartment.
Hopefully, I'd be able to get some more sleep before the NEXT clown came to visit…
…and I hoped to God it wouldn't be Nasty Girl.
What the HELL was it with the females on this planet and their wanting to date me anyway…?!

I was about to say... yeah. Been many, many years since I read that comic...
-- Bob
---------

BTW, what sort of song could Doug use to repair any damage to buildings and the like?  Any ideas?  I'm stumped.