Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NanoSteps Brainstorming 2 - Stepping Out

Quote:And then discovers that the local incarnation of The Mother is not as nice as Bell?
Well, I said he muses about dropping by the temple, and I figured he doesn't, in the end.  I was thinking in terms of him wondering if the AYA world overlaps with a version of the OMG world, so that the local incarnation of the Mother would be Belldandy, exactly as we know her (granted, a Bell who'd never met him, but the Overself business might help with that).  But I had no intention of having him actually do it -- his considering it was just supposed to show how disturbed he is by the encounter with old Hanabishi.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

I had real sympathy for the guy in front of me. Here was a Mundane thrown into a situation similar to mine, only I had Metahuman talent to help me along. He only had the clothes on his back, and what he could physically carry (which included the occasional passenger, judging by Luna being nearby, with Sailor Moon nowhere near us).
I really wanted to know who his supplier was, because according to his description of his home universe's tech level, the anti-matter shotgun shells he was toting were impossible...

A little treat from a work-in-progress... (No, not a full story, just a big nanoStep. A microStep?)

Thor clung to the stainless steel spire as he called lightning down to his hammer and unleashed it again at the Cheltauri forces pouring through the portal above Manhattan like blood gushing from a mortal wound. His brother Loki's misshapen army seemed endless, and Asgardian though he might be, Thor still had his limits. After a minutes-long barrage of continuous lightning strikes that would have humbled a hurricane, the god of thunder was forced to pause for breath in the face of the invaders.

As he drew in deeply of the befouled air above New York City, the unending torrent of one- and two- and three-man flying sleds paused to allow a half-skeletal leviathan of metal and fire to enter the world of men. As it undulated ponderously in its headlong dive toward the city below, need forced Thor to take one more deep breath in anticipation of the demands he was about to place upon himself again. Steeling himself, he tightened his grip on the spire and raised his hammer once more...

When a feminine voice behind him shouted "Supreme! Thunder! DRAGON!" and bolt of lighting as great as any he had ever called roared past him. As it homed in on the Cheltauri leviathan it expanded and took on the form of a great wyrm of old, its jaws wide and its talon-tipped forelegs spread to rip its foe to shreds. It did not strike the leviathan so much as engulf it in a brilliant explosion that left the vehicle/creature plummeting from the sky.  The leviathan seemed doomed to shatter a score of buildings, doing as much destruction in its death as it might have hoped to accomplish alive -- until a pink streak of light shot up out of the city to meet it. The crippled leviathan impossibly halted in mid-air, rolled, and suddenly hurtled as if thrown toward the harbor and the open sea beyond. The pink streak reappeared, shooting upward and into the open portal.

"Go, Mirai!" shouted the female voice. "Give'em hell!"

Gripping the stainless steel so tightly it began to crumple under his fingers, Thor turned slowly to find himself facing a girl -- no, a woman -- floating in the air some yards away. She was tall, at least as tall as Sif, and more voluptuous. As beautiful as any Asgardian woman, she was dressed in an outfit as abbreviated as any he'd seen on a mortal woman in this age: a tight, tiny dress of white trimmed with green and a bit of incongruous pink. Her long chestnut hair was done up in a high ponytail, and a golden tiara with a brilliant emerald cabochon topped with a tiny antenna graced her brow. From her waist to the short, low-heeled boots she wore, her body was sheathed in a roiling, coruscating blue-white glow that was visible even in the bright sunlight.

And small whipping, cracking wisps of lighting streamed along the sides of her head from her glowing eyes.

"Well, hello there, handsome," she said with a flirtatious smile. "Nice hammer. What do they call you when you're at home?"

Thor blinked and shook his head for a moment before confirming that, yes, there was a flying woman there. "I am Thor Odinsson of Asgard," he shouted over the wind. "Who are you?"

"Thor?" The woman's smile shifted from flirty to a full grin. "What a coincidence. I'm Jupiter -- Sailor Jupiter." She inclined her head and raised an eyebrow. "Care for a little help?"
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

I thought we were looking at Doug's shorter stops, not Leese-taichi's... This opens things up substantially.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Well, it GGG nanosteps should probably go into their own thread.
-- Bob
---------

Bob - You do realize besides Jupiter, Skuld will be quite happily doing a fast upgrade on the Iron Man armor, Lisa and Luna slightly freaking out Natasha with physically impossible dodges and Heartbreaker strikes, while the others cause massive amounts of random damage to the enemy....

I figure she'da started smaller... like fixing Hawkeye's little limited ammo problem, if only cause Tony's semi sexual snarkyness makes her feel uncomofrtalbe at first.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

And young miss Bonzai will be tagteaming Chitari troopers with Captain America.

kevncody Wrote:Bob - You do realize besides Jupiter, Skuld will be quite happily doing a fast upgrade on the Iron Man armor, Lisa and Luna slightly freaking out Natasha with physically impossible dodges and Heartbreaker strikes, while the others cause massive amounts of random damage to the enemy....
From the unfinished portion of this microstep (really, a collection of little vignettes):
(The battered and scarred Iron Man is swarmed by Rinrin, Skuld
and Kaolla Su.  In moments he's on his feet and the armor is
spotless.)
Tony:  ...the hell just happened?
Skuld:  I am Skuld Ravenhair, called the Tomorrow-Maker, daughter
of Odin, Norn of the Future, Goddess of Technology.  And you,
Anthony Stark, are one of *mine*.
Kaolla:  What is shawarma?  Is it good to eat?

Star Ranger4 Wrote:I figure she'da started smaller... like fixing Hawkeye's little limited ammo problem, if only cause Tony's semi sexual snarkyness makes her feel uncomofrtalbe at first.
Not a bad idea, that...

Timote Wrote:And young miss Bonzai will be tagteaming Chitari troopers with Captain America.
Bingo.  Plus Chalotte Borrible.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Kaolla:  What is shawarma?  Is it good to eat?
Yes. Yes, it is. Try the chicken shawarma first, Kaolla...
--
Rob Kelk

Thor: Norse God.

Skuld: Norse Goddess.

You do realize what this means, yes? Smile

Skuld: "Uncle! Uncle!"

Thor: (finally stops noogie'ing her) "Just what are you doing on Earth, anyway, young lady? Does your father know where you are?"

Of course, from her perspective it's not -that- Thor -- or rather, a different -aspect- of Thor -- but still. There will be confusion, family feelings, and all around amusement.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

ECSNorway Wrote:Thor: Norse God.

Skuld: Norse Goddess.

You do realize what this means, yes? Smile

Skuld: "Uncle! Uncle!"

Thor: (finally stops noogie'ing her) "Just what are you doing on Earth, anyway, young lady? Does your father know where you are?"

Of course, from her perspective it's not -that- Thor -- or rather, a different -aspect- of Thor -- but still. There will be confusion, family feelings, and all around amusement.
Except that, like traditional Norse mythos, in the Marvel-verse, the Norns aren't the daughters of Odin, but instead are a trinity of deities outside of the Aesir, the Jotun, or the Vanir, and are feared and respected by all of them (with perhaps the exception of Those Who Sit Above In Shadow), since no one in the Nine Worlds is above the power of the Fates.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Haven't written that part yet. But yeah, I was thinking about the disparity. BTW, I have completed, in addition to the sample: Natasha/Sana/Bibi, Barton/Luna, Steve/Chalotte/Peggy. I'm almost done with the Iron Man segment.
-- Bob
---------

Huh. I'd have thought Natasha would have teamed up with Nancy, unless you using her to counter Stark's snark.

That is, of course, if she's on the team at this point.

Actually, I'm placing this between the Buffyverse and Legend of Galactic Girls, before Ms. Deep joins the gang.
-- Bob
---------

Yep - my current plan is ???(lots of stops)??? -> Marvelverse -> ROD -> Fenspace -> Warriors' World -> Valdemar -> drop everyone off in whatever universes they want to go back to (usually "home"). Subject to Bob's approval, of course - it's his metaverse.
--
Rob Kelk

Looks okay by my current plans.
-- Bob
---------

This particular jump had been a slight surprise: I was at Hogwarts again.

Yes, again.

No, apparently, not the same Hogwarts. Dumbledore didn't remember me, neither did anyone else there.

And judging from the dates on the newspapers and the chatter in Diagon Alley, I was actually earlier than my previous visit.

It made me worry, a bit, if I might be getting myself into paradox-level trouble. For a week I'd kept pouring through every time-related song I knew in search of something to make sure I didn't screw things up.

I shouldn't have worried.

I really, really shouldn't have worried.

I realized what was happening at the Sorting.

She was younger than I remembered. But that shock of long blonde hair with the big red bow and those big blue eyes were instantly recognizeable.

As 'Abbot, Hannah' was disposed to Hufflepuff, I braced myself.

"Aino, Minako," called McGonnagall's stern voice.

I could've told you what came next faster than the hat. It was clearly obvious she belonged in -

"GRYFFINDOR!"
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

So when are the latest entries to the Nano-Steps being updated to the master list?
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"

Actually, I updated it about two weeks ago, with everything up to and including Terrace's nanostep from 9/12. The snippet I posted right after that won't be going into the Nanosteps thread; I'm going to finish the damned thing and put it in its own thread.
-- Bob
---------

The really amusing thing about the Girls dropping by the Avengers-verse, is that if Doug had been there even a year or two previously, , there wouldn't have been any big 'meta-being' events to catch his eye. He could have been there for a couple months thinking it's a fairly normal world. Then after he leaves, Iron Man hits the news, and the Hulk 'breaks Harlem', and then Thor shows up and Cap is defrosted.

Not even Spidey doing the Luchador thing.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Timote Wrote:The really amusing thing about the Girls dropping by the Avengers-verse, is that if Doug had been there even a year or two previously, , there wouldn't have been any big 'meta-being' events to catch his eye. He could have been there for a couple months thinking it's a fairly normal world. Then after he leaves, Iron Man hits the news, and the Hulk 'breaks Harlem', and then Thor shows up and Cap is defrosted.
Especially if he showed up in the five years or so between the first two major Hulk incidents (i.e., the first two movies).
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Actually, I updated it about two weeks ago, with everything up to and including Terrace's nanostep from 9/12. The snippet I posted right after that won't be going into the Nanosteps thread; I'm going to finish the damned thing and put it in its own thread.
Ah, wakata!  Didn't see that.
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"

"So, you drink?"

"A bit, Mr. Vega. Only in moderation, though."

"Fair enough. Hey, something's been bothering me."

"Shoot."

"You could have left this universe behind at any time. You admitted you've known which song would let you leave since the Collectors were blown up..."

"So why stay?" The Systems Alliance Leutenant nodded. "Because I can't rest easy knowing I left you guys to fight, and probably die, without me."

"I hear that. The guilt would eat away at you, and then where would you be?"