Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ReBoot stagger - notes and fragments

There's also the possible joke of: "Hack and Slash? Shouldn't you two be weilding swords then?"

Timote Wrote:There's also the possible joke of: "Hack and Slash? Shouldn't you two be weilding swords then?"

Enzo: Don't give them ideas, Colonel. They might hurt themselves.

Hack: Yeah, we might hurt ourselves! Hey, wait a nano, he insulted us, didn't he, Slash?

Slash: Yeah, that was definately an insult.

Doug: We've been openly mocking you two ever since this conversation started, and you've just now noticed? Megabyte must hate having to rely on you.

Ooooohhh... If Doug rebuilds Twin City somehow, he'll forever be known as "Kernel Sangnoir" - a pleasant inversion of the Unix "Colonel Panic" jokes.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

robkelk Wrote:Ooooohhh... If Doug rebuilds Twin City somehow, he'll forever be known as "Kernel Sangnoir" - a pleasant inversion of the Unix "Colonel Panic" jokes.
Just imagine the reaction when he introduces himself.  "You're a kernel?  Wooooooooah."    They'll be expecting him to go toe-to-toe with Megabyte.
ETA:  Oh, and BTW, Doug does have some experience with being inside electronic systems.  Just see Nanostep #128.

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:
robkelk Wrote:Ooooohhh... If Doug rebuilds Twin City somehow, he'll forever be known as "Kernel Sangnoir" - a pleasant inversion of the Unix "Colonel Panic" jokes.
Just imagine the reaction when he introduces himself.  "You're a kernel?  Wooooooooah."    They'll be expecting him to go toe-to-toe with Megabyte.    
Not necessarily: Phong, Mainframe's Keeper of the Core, is their Kernel, and while he's cunning, resourceful, and extremely difficult for ordinary viruses to infect, he doesn't have much in the way of physical strength. A Kernel's most important skills are managerial, not martial. (Phong isn't even a military leader: he delegated that responsibility to Dot Matrix, making her Mainframe's COMMAND.COM.) Kernels are extremely difficult to kill: Phong survived being turned into a head-in-a-jar and tortured by invasive direct reads on his memory without any apparent permanent harm.

All right, here is the WIP for the picture for other's to see. You've got my email for adjustments.

Mark Skarr Wrote:All right, here is the WIP for the picture for other's to see. You've got my email for adjustments.
Oh, very close, but... I pictured her with jet-black hair, not blue-black. And not quite so "upfront" - one size smaller in the chest would be good.
--
Rob Kelk

All right, thrown the render back in (may be a bit before it updates). Changed hair color and reduced bust size. Also, updated outfit texture. Emi's eyes are currently brown . . . what color do you want them?

Brown is good...
--
Rob Kelk

Old link is old (and now broken). New link is new.

Unless I'm outvoted by Bob and Ian, that's the "official" portrait for Eimi.

(Although, in most universes, she won't have blue skin or be three-dimensional. )
--
Rob Kelk

Well, if she remains 2d . . . there's no reason she can't have blue skin . . . maybe she likes it.

I'd have to retcon a scene or two in DW13 to mention she was blue, in that case...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Ah, well, then. I see.

Any other changes you want made to the ReBoot pic? I'm throwing Grover's Corners in the engine for the night and will check everything again tomorrow morning. Check the Fenspace thread for the link (as soon as I have it to post).

I haven't heard any complaints from Ian, and Bob's already posted since you put the latest version up, so I think we're happy with it.

Thanks, again!
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:Slash left G'n'R in 1996... but his guitar riff on the G'n'R song "Sweet Child of Mine" is legendary. Thus, he'll always be associated with the group, just like McCartney will always be a Beatle.
I recall a comedian years ago had a routine about the generation gap between him and his children - the punchline was, "You mean Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings?"
When Lennon was killed, I talked with my students about the situation and one said to me, "You mean Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings?" I kid you not. She was quite miffed that I broke out in laughter.

Roger. I'll move the picture from the New Render folder to the Fenspace folder on my skydrive account.

This just whacked me in the brainmeats, and I *had* to put it up. Whether you'll be able to use it, I dunno, but you have my permission if you can.

"Meanwhile, out in what we laughably call the "real" world, two Users were *also* trying to stop the assault on their system. 'It's cracking the firewall! Do something!'

'Uh...' typing swiftly, he hit decisively. 'Reenabled the AV. Do anything?'

'I think...' Suddenly, through the speakers in the Lab, at full volume, the system started playing 'Pinball Wizard'.

The Supervisor looked at his two Users. 'IS THIS REALLY THE TIME FOR THAT?' he shouted over the music.

'I DIDN'T DO IT, GIBBS!' shouted Abby. "MCGEE, WHAT DID YOU *DO*!?'"

Random improbable problem that just came to me:

"System. Load song: Pinball Wizard. Play song."

Warning: Incoming Game. Warning: Incoming Game.

"... Seriously?"

The idea is that songs that normally have game-themed powers and SFX instead conjure the corresponding game.
RE: ReBoot stagger - notes and fragments
A little something in reply to one of the ideas in this thread. No comments on how canonical this exchange will be for the Stagger.

Dot looked surprised for a moment, then angry. "Tron?"

"You've heard of him?" asked Eimi.

"Who hasn't? He fights for the users." She practically spat the last word.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: ReBoot stagger - notes and fragments
(blows dust off thread)

Progress may be glacially slow, but there is some progress...

A couple of binomes in the crowd moaned. Some started to panic.

"That's it, man. Game over, man. Game over! User wins! What the fsck are we gonna do now? What are we gonna do?"

"Maybe we can build a firewall, sing a couple of MIDIs, huh? Why don't we try that?"

Eimi smiled. "Yes! Build a firewall! Contain Megabyte's forces and give us a chance to rebuild our forces!"
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown