Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Teaser] ItGWO: First Impressions
[Teaser] ItGWO: First Impressions
Because it's been too damn long with no content or discussions going on in here, I give you this little snippet from Into the Great Wide Open for you lot to comment/mock/obsess over. --Mal

Korolev Air Force Base wasn't that exciting.

In fact, it was downright depressing.

The base was made up of six grey concrete blocks, unimpressive and unadorned, clustered around the driveway. The windows cut into the concrete were fronted with sheets of tinted lunar glass, adding sinister intent to the brutalist architecture. Behind the main buildings a small greenhouse overstuffed with plants sat next to a huge prefabricated warehouse like a thousand others back on Earth. The crater rim loomed over the entire complex, a near-vertical wall two kilometers high topped with the supports for the Kandor dome.

The whole thing screamed of rampant, malignant mundanity. Only the front gate showed any real sign of fen character, a huge wrought-aluminum monstrosity with a crudely hand-painted sign reading "ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK!!" tastefully hung at a cockeyed angle.

(Had Sora known at the time what that was a reference to, she might've had second thoughts about her interview. Thankfully for the story, and eventually for her as well, she didn't think to ask about the sign until much later. But we digress, and too early in this tale to boot.)

Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

Was there thunder and a lightning flash as Sora walked past the Sign? [evil grin]

Nah, it was a reasonably sunny day in Kandor City on the 4th, despite it being past local sunset. Don't ask how this works, 'cause I ain't
explaining it.

The sign is there as a shoutout to my favorite RHPS callback line ever. ("ENTER! AT! YOUR! OWN! RISK! HOW! LONG! DOES! IT! TAKE! TO! READ! FIVE! FUCKING!
WORDS!?") [Image: wink.gif]

Quote:Nah, it was a reasonably sunny day in Kandor City on the 4th, despite it being past local sunset. Don't ask how this works, 'cause I ain't explaining it.
What's to explain? Kandor obviously has two sunrise-sunset cycles - the 28-day one from the Moon's rotation, and the 24-hour one built into the dome (like the one in Grovers' Corners). Ne?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Posting this as a sign I haven't given up yet. --Mal

As the elevator rose, Sora looked back at the Hole. "Why?" she said suddenly.

"Why what?"

"Why all this?"

"Well, like I said, we went overboard."

"Obviously," she replied. "Still, this is going beyond *overboard.*"

"Well, let me put it as a thought experiment," he said. "Imagine that you, Yayoi, Yoriko, Kohran and Noah all lived on the Epsilon Blade 24/7 for the better part of a year before beginning to build Stellvia. Aside from the occasional daytrip, your entire universe is the habitable volume inside the Blade."

Sora thought about it. "Oh," she said, "I guess I can see why now. A little, anyway."

Mal chuckled. "Yeah, Ptichka's a wonderful ship and I love her dearly, but nine months cooped up inside with all eight of us and it was either build *this* or start killing each other."

Hee. I'm not sure what you've built, but it sounds very, very big....

Quote: Mal chuckled. "Yeah, Ptichka's a wonderful ship and I love her dearly, but nine months cooped up inside with all eight of us and it was either
build *this* or start killing each other."
*grin* And THIS is why the Jason came up with the Garden...and also why he welded 36 semi trailers together to make up the Fateful Lightning. Yes, it's VERY cool to have a shuttle. But having plenty of living/lab space is cool in its own way. Plus,
you have room to entertain. [Image: smile.gif]

Quote: Feinan wrote:

Hee. I'm not sure what you've built, but it sounds very, very big....

Quote: Mal chuckled. "Yeah, Ptichka's a wonderful ship and I love her dearly, but nine months cooped up inside with all eight of us and it was either
build *this* or start killing each other."

*grin* And THIS is why the Jason came up with the Garden...and also why he welded 36 semi trailers together to make up the Fateful Lightning. Yes, it's VERY cool to have a shuttle. But having plenty of living/lab space is cool in its own way.
Plus, you have room to entertain. [Image: smile.gif]

Indeed. It's why the Institute has plans for Deimos. And why there aren't more than about four people on the Bus at any one time.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

And why Noah keeps building expansions onto his station. (We all deal with the matter differently...)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Well, the GC folks realized this before they even began designing. And we're all fond of elbow room. Which is why the Corners is, well, roomy.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Which reminds me... Ben's asteroid base is gonna have to be a bit bigger to allow for the additional fighter-craft and their pilots and maintenance staff.
Hell, I'm thinking of going all out with this and getting a few more Blackbirds waved for the sole purpose of having several strike-groups at the ready. It
is a war, after all.

Oh, and let's not forget the Kinder-Fen he's gonna wind up adopting. [Image: wink.gif]

This was kinda the main motivation behind Rockhounds. Chris wanted a Big Space Station. A Rock was, to his eyes, the easiest way to get one.

The Park took a lot of work, but he considers it worth it.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.