Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grand Unified Timeline
Re: Grand Unified Timeline
Quote:
And considering that it's a USCG Admiralty Court trying him, it's much more likely that he's enjoying the sights of beautiful Fort Leavenworth.
Okay then.
Fall 2008: A lone moron, claiming to be the Professor attempts to hold the world hostage by threatening to drop kinetic weapons on major cities. Shortly afterwards he is handed over to the USCG Admiralty Court for trial by Mr Morden. Shortly afterwards, Morden is awarded a full pardon by the Russian President and the Russian Federation Air Force assign him the honorary rank of Colonel before throwing him into the River Volga.
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.
As a suggestion, could timeline entries be made links where there's a story segment, or is that getting too involved?SERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
For the next 72 hours, Itachi intoned, I will slap you with this trout. - Spying no Jutsu, chapter 3
"In the futuristic taco bell of the year 20XX, justice wears an aluminum sombrero!"hemlock-martini
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
August 15, 2010 - The Banzai Institute Shuttle HB88, better known as the Jet Car, makes its maiden flight. Airspace is violated, windows are shattered, and the speed of sound is broken. The Blue Blazer Irregulars realize one of the Jet Car's quirks (Leadfoot Syndrome, see Ship Registry) firsthand.
August 16, 2010 - The crew of World Watch One finish repairs to the windows of Mrs. Johnson's home outside of Wichita Falls, Texas. Upon departing, they manage to keep the Jet Car at the speed limit until they reach the Oklahoma border.
Labor Day Weekend, 2010 - The Jet Car is stolen for the first time by an attendee of the 2010 Burning Man Festival at Black Rock, South Dakota. A merry chase ensues, with the Jet Car disrupting several camps at the festival. The Blue Blazer Irregulars retrieve the car and depart the festival on Monday. On their way out, they set a personal record of 400 mph across the Playa, before taking off.
Ebony the Black Dragon
Senior Editor, Living Room Games
http://www.lrgames.com
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Quote:
Also, as a complete side note, who *would* have the responsibility of posting Haruhi's first message on the Convention thread? I'm not saying it has to be *just* yet, but I'd hate to have the whole thing stall out here because everyone was waiting for someone else to post a major message from the pivotal NPC.
Haruhi would write the message in Japanese, and hand it to Kyon. Kyon would enter the message in and run it through a basic text translator, and show the results to the SOS brigade. Haruhi, overiding any of Kyon's suggestions to edit the translation for readability, would then have Kyon e-Mail the translated text to the All-Call server as is.
Why? because once Haruhi gets an Idea in her head she wants it done with as little delay as possible, and leaves regrets as someone elses responsibility...
September 23rd, 2009 - Hephaestus lifts from the rural Alaska, _completely_ ruining one young USAF pilot's day. Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
(Not sure whether these warrant being in the GUT, but I'll offer them for consideration anyway...)
May 21, 2008: AI Sora Hasegawa "wakes up", the first of Noah Scott's "angels" to gain self-awareness.
May 22, 2008: AIs Kohran Li and Yoriko Nikaido "wake up".
May 23, 2008: AI Yayoi Fujisawa "wakes up", the last of Noah Scott's "angels" to gain self-awareness.

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
An update to an existing entry:
Quote:
March (20+n), 2012: Less hidebound elements of the US Navy (and the last action of a retiring Admiral) launches USS Stingray SSN 2161-X, a black project that was willing to deal with fennish quirks.
Doing the math as presented in the story, the date should be March 31, 2012.

A few new entries, from a couple of already-posted items:
Winter 2009-2010: USS Miranda leaves on its five-year mission to take astronomical readings from locations far from Sol.
May 2010: The first class (of five students) graduates from the Vesta Institute of Biochemistry.
December 21, 2012: USS Miranda detects an alien automated beacon, 1,000 light-years from Sol.
Edit: AAAAAAARGHHHH!!!!! December 12, not 21!!!!! And I didn't catch the transposition until after the latest update...

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

Do we want to include the (alt-universe by definition, as far as I'm concerned) future events that have appeared in MORE POWER!!!, Archimedes' Lever and Reflections of an Immortal, or are these best left off the Timeline? (I don't mind, either way.)

If we do want to include them:
Well after Operation GREAT JUSTICE: Engineers on Hephaestus invent the Sparkman-Hermes Fluidic Bearing Reactionless Drive Electrical Turbine, a nearly-unlimited source of nearly-free electrical power.
May 21, 2058: "Boskonian" coup in the city of Helium, on Mars.
2100(?): The entire planet Earth becomes a transhuman gestalt mind. Fen evacuate Sol system.
Fall 2157 - Summer 2158: Zeta Tucanae system mapped "down to its larger asteroids".
May 21, 2208: Beta Hydri colony station destroyed because of stellar flares; there are no survivors.

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

These are the voyages...
Nov 4-28, 2008 Subsystemss and the few complete structural modules for the USS Miranda loaded on a hastily chartered freighter, which launches from the San Francisco dock district at dawn Nov 29th. Only the hard-science equipment still under construction remains in the USA, all of which is maintained, very carefully, completely handwavium-free.
Dec 18 2008: Belgian-registered freighter "Dorin's Maiden" lands in Australia, Miranda components are offloaded and transferred by truck to a previously mostly undeveloped property owned by the University of Canberra, about 45 minutes into the middle of nowhere from the edge of the city. Administration facilities and gantries to support tne superstructure as it is assembled (fortunately, the project had been just short of that stage in the US) must be built first, delaying the project by almost two months. Australian-built house trailers are found to be just a suitable for inclusion as the multitudinous crew quarters needed, once US-to-Metric and power standard conversions are worked out.
January 2008 - former Australian Air Force pilot April Roberts gets in touch with a former Astronomy professor of hers at U Canberra after seeing one of the recruitment ads. He happens to be one of the project heads, unbeknownst to her at the time.
July 2009 - last of the unwaved Miranda gear delivered from US fabrication locations
September 2009 - April Roberts is confirmed as lead candidate for Captain of the USS Miranda, after extensive testing shows he biomod does not induce any measureable affects in equipment.
Nov 15 2009 - Starbase One completes construction of the Miranda's intermix chamber and engine nacelles, the largest ever constructed to date. Galaxy Express 999 is chartered to ferry them down to the all-but-complete ship. An existing AI computer core from the station is also carefully transferred down, having volunteered to handle astrogation, entertainment, and general ear-to-the-weary services for the mission.
December 8, 2009 - USS Miranda christening and launch ceremony. The ship spends the rest of the month 'working up' in Earth and Mars orbit before topping off her fuel tanks and heading out to begin her five-year mission of exploration.
New Years 2009-2010, 12:00 midnight GMT - "This is Captain April M. Roberts of the United-Earth Star Ship Miranda. We are crossing The Limit, outbound. Destination: Thataway. Second star to the right, and we'll see you in five years!"
August 2010 - USS Miranda discovers a highly earthlike planet, estimated as terraformable for open-air habitation in under 50 years. It is entered in the logs as "Thataway." Unexplained slowdowns in the ship's AI processing speed are alleviated by construction of an auxiliary processor node from her spare part supply.
- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
Re: These are the voyages...
Applause for naming the system 'Thataway', Mr. Niven Fan...
; )Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
... huh? I remember Planet Wemadeit, but not a Thataway - I was just referening the previous line, and that it's the second non-gas-giant planet they found.
Another one later will be named Neverland, because it's all the sulfuric acid of Venus with a Martian climate that means there's sea of the stuff, and if they'd even tried to send a shuttle down it would never land...
- CDSERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
For the next 72 hours, Itachi intoned, I will slap you with this trout. - Spying no Jutsu, chapter 3
"In the futuristic taco bell of the year 20XX, justice wears an aluminum sombrero!"hemlock-martini
--
Quote:
January 2008 - former Australian Air Force pilot April Roberts gets in touch with a former Astronomy professor of hers at U Canberra
I think you meant January 2009 there...
Quote:
September 2009 - April Roberts is confirmed as lead candidate for Captain of the USS Miranda, after extensive testing shows he biomod does not induce any measureable affects in equipment.
Also, M.L. da Vinci is appointed Chief Engineer of the USS Miranda upon application because of her work on the ship's systems while still at MIT.

-Rob Kelk
"Read Or Die: not so much a title as a way of life." - Justin Palmer, 6 June 2007
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:
... huh? I remember Planet Wemadeit, but not a Thataway

There wasn't, but it felt like a Very Niven name to me. Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
A few more, from (relatively) recent stories:

January 9, 2013: Crystal Osaka destroyed during anti-zwilnick activity.
May 16, 2013: After a major disagreement as to how to prosecute the war, Noah Scott is removed from the Operation GREAT JUSTICE general staff.
May 18, 2013: Noah Scott evicts the SOS-Dan from Stellvia.

-Rob Kelk
"Read Or Die: not so much a title as a way of life." - Justin Palmer, 6 June 2007
--
Rob Kelk

Are we still using this, or should I put new events straight to the wiki?
Ebony the Black Dragon

Whatever floats yer boat. Probably worth posting here even if you go straight to the wiki, get more eyeballs that way.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

Quote: M Fnord wrote:

Whatever floats yer boat. Probably worth posting here even if you go straight to the wiki, get more eyeballs that way.
Good enough for me:

November 2010: The crew of World Watch One and the staff of the London office of the Banzai Institute assist Scotland Yard and the London
Police with a murder and plot to create monsters out of biomodded citizenry. First hints of an organization directly opposing the Banzai Institute discovered.
(Buckaroo Banzai and Terror from the Shadows)

June 2011: Staff of the Hong Kong office of the Banzai Institute encounter "jiang shi" (hopping vampires) created through the use
of 'wavium tech. Source of these terror weapons unknown, but believed to be linked with events of 11/2010. (Buckaroo Banzai and the Restless Dead)

June 2012: Clark Savage Jr. Memorial Stadium and Music Complex opens on Deimos

August-September 2012: The crew of the World Watch One find conclusive evidence of an organization known as the World Crime League. A
confrontation between an agent of the League identifying himself as "Lo Pep," supposed advocate for "the Sublime Lord of a Thousand Deaths,
Hanoi Xan," leads to a vote of the Global Frequency network. Operation Misrule is put into effect. American and British headquarters of the Banzai
Institute closed, although Web-presence still exists. Crew of World Watch One, other noted Blue Blazers, and their families leave Earth. "The
Roadhouse," the Banzai Insitute's off-Earth facility on Deimos, serves as refugee housing temporarily while Blue Blazers find other housing. During
this period, the crew of World Watch One performs a concert at the Savage Stadium, where Buckaroo (via Jumbotron) introduces them as the "Hong Kong
Cavaliers." Banzai Institute officially joins Operation Great Justice in a frontline capacity. (Buckaroo Banzai Against the World Crime League)
Ebony the Black Dragon