Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glossary
Re: addition
Quote:
Village Hidden in the Asteroids: (also Hidden Asteroid, Village of). Home of the hardcore Naruto Fens, offering ninja services throughout the Fendom (although mostly in the Belt). Exact location, unknown.
Karasukage: (trans. Black Shadow) The leader of the Village Hidden in the Asteroids. The Shodaime Karasukage is Ivan 'Maitovich' Solkin.
Kuni no Karasu: (trans. Black Country) Hidden Asteroid nomenclature for parts of the Solar System distant from the actual planets.
Karasu means either "raven" or "withered," and in neither case does it carry any connotation of "black." (Yes, not even as "raven.") Try "Kurogake," "Kuni no Kuro."
I'd suggest Seijoutaigakure for the Village itself.
--Sam
"In two minutes this roof will be crawling with ninja!"
"Really? Keen!"
Hm. According to my dictionary, 'asteroid' is 'Shouwakusei'. What's 'Seijoutai'?--
"I give you the beautiful... the talented... the tirelessly atomic-powered...
R!
DOROTHY!
WAYNERIGHT!

--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Another word for "asteroid." I just like that one better in combination with "-gakure." [Image: smile.gif]
--Sam
"Don't be cruel. You know I can't reach my feet."
Re: Glossary
Some more goo types for the Grey Goo subhead:
Golden Goo: Nanomachines used to filter specific substances out of common materials. The name comes from a theoretical plan to use nanomachines to filter gold from seawater.
Green Goo: 1. Biological nanomachines (not microscopic robots, but engineered viruses) 2. Another term for guacamole handwavium.
Khaki Goo: Specificly military (as opposed to simply weaponized) nanomachines.---
Mr. Fnord
http://fnord.sandwich.net/
http://www.jihad.net/
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
Paisley Goo, Plaid Goo: Alternate terms for handwavium.
--Sam
"Well that guy's nekkid."
Karasu is also used as a prefix to indicate that things are the colour black - the colour of a crow. Karasuhebi for example = black snake, which is where I got it from. I probably would have benefitted from reseraching it for more than a couple of minutes.
Ok, switch it to Kuro.
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.
So would I have, it sounds like. ^.^ It seems pretty esoteric to use karasu that way... but then, that's ninja all over...
--Sam
"I weave a lethal net of baked goods that few can escape."
SOS-con The emergency con called by the SOS-dan.
I mean SOS for an emergency con called by a group that calls themselfes the SOS brigade? It's perfect.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."
Drakensis, Lurker: OK, Seijoutai and Karasu it is. [Image: smile.gif] I've adjusted the Space Rock list.--
"I give you the beautiful... the talented... the tirelessly atomic-powered...
R!
DOROTHY!
WAYNERIGHT!

--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Quote:
Drakensis, Lurker: OK, Seijoutai and Karasu it is.
So what are the final names now, and what did they change from, so I can adjust the glossary?
-- Bob
---------
...The President is on the line
As ninety-nine crab rangoons go by...
Quote:
Kaboomite: Explosive of uncertain and unstable composition invented/produced by the android Li Kohran. Believed by some to be proof of the existence of Weapons-grade Handwavium.
Actually sub-critical nuclear weaponry, with fissionables looted from 1980s and 1990s-era deep-Solar-system space probes. This is known to the androids Li Kohran, Yayoi Fujisawa, and Sora Hasegawa, and the human Noah Scott; the androids are under strict orders from Noah to not divulge this to anyone under any circumstances.

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Well, that was written very early on, when the nature of kaboomite hadn't been revealed and the possibility that it was handwavium based was causing all kinds of fuss. I'll update.
-- Bob
---------
faction names
Gearheads - General "Ain't-it-cool" Mecha fans. As a whole, undifferentiated giant robot fans. Inclusive term.
Cybers - Folks who use 'wavium for prosthetics/kludged cybernetics. Vehemently a different faction from "Cyb0rz." Poorly designed 'wavetech cybernetics turn into biomods.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Overfan, the: Hypothetical inventor/distributor of Handwavium. A mythical figure to whom all manner of powers and intentions are attributed. Speculation as to the Overfan's identity runs rampant, with the Professor most frequently named -- he could have created the stuff and then completely forgotten having done so.
--Sam
"The Tick caters to no man!"
Got to thinking about random biomodding and its effects, and realized that some people - especially in the Supers faction, maybe? - might draw on the Wild Cards books for terminology.
Ace: Extremely beneficial biomod, with no or relatively few negatives.
Deuce: Beneficial biomod, but not as powerful as an Ace mod, or else with one or more negative points to it.
Joker: Non-beneficial biomod. Could be disfiguring, at least compared to human norm, or it causes other harmful effects.
Quote:
Ace: Extremely beneficial biomod, with no or relatively few negatives.
Deuce: Beneficial biomod, but not as powerful as an Ace mod, or else with one or more negative points to it.
Joker: Non-beneficial biomod. Could be disfiguring, at least compared to human norm, or it causes other harmful effects.
Strictly speaking, the Jokers of Wild Cards were simply physically deformed. Kestrel (a woman with wings growing from her shouldersgenerally thought of as an Ace by the public) admits that she's a Joker in Book IV of the original series.
Joker-Ace: Disfiguring biomod with beneficial effects (e.g., the "troll" - superstrength coupled with ugliness)
P.S. 238 or Sky High: Grovers Corners Elementary and/or High SchoolEbony the Black Dragon
Senior Editor, Living Room Games
http://www.lrgames.com
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
It's worth noting that biomods in fenspace are a lot grayer than that. Argument might run pretty rampant over whether given characters were Deuces or Joker-Aces, and even the theoretical *possibility* of Aces is probably contested in some quarters. I'd imagine that there is some subfaction of the Supers who have as there goal proving the possibility of generating Aces through Handwavium by example. If they ever *do* succeed, then trying to make it reliable will be the *next* step. Of course, you would have some folks, who were really enthused about their own personal benefits and really not concerned with their personal disadvantages, claiming that they *were* Aces, but that sort of thing only really serves to muddy the waters.
Also... You *know* that as soon as The Name becomes common usage, *someone* is going to put together a live-action "Legend of the Overfan" movie with biomodded actors. It's inevitable.
*laughs* Oh, I agree with you, wholeheartedly. It's shades of grey all over the place. But people DO love to put things into categories, and the Ace/Joker system is going to be one that leaps to mind for a lot of Fen, I'd imagine, especially the Supers. *grin* Personal views on things are sure to affect classifications as well. My character's recent biomod...just for the health effects alone, he'd probably be willing to classify it as an Ace mod, but then he was in pretty bad shape to start with. He does view the potential negatives as bad enough to shift it to a Deuce, though, if they manifest as he thinks they will. Still...I'm pretty sure this means of classification will appeal to far too many people for it NOT to be used. Besides - Fen enjoy arguing over points. They'll get years of discussion over whether someone is a Joker, Ace, or something else. You need something to do while pulling the long hauls in space.
*cackles* And you're right about the Legend of the Overfan. It's the first thing that popped into my head when _I_ saw the name...
LEgend of the Overfan
ESPECIALLY appropriate when (unknown to the characters) the REAL Overfan (Haruhi) is an attractive teenage girl.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Quote:
P.S. 238 or Sky High[Image: mad.gif]:"> Grovers Corners Elementary and/or High School
Oh, geeze, Ebony, I should have thought of that! I've been considering what kind of home schooling is going on on the GC -- and given the ages of the kids, it will mostly be high school level -- and I never made the connection.
Huh. Now you've given me an idea. What if the GC offers schooling to Fenkinder at large, instead of just the "native" kids? It could either be day school or boarding, too...
-- Bob
---------
Quote:
What if the GC offers schooling to Fenkinder at large, instead of just the "native" kids?
Expect a lot of youngsters from the Hidden Asteroid - both the "gotta experience new stuff so I'm a better ninja" type and the "gotta get away from those idiots who think they're ninja" type.
For that matter, Grovers Corners might end up becoming a place where ex-'dane teens go to school for a week and then disappear into the rest of Fenspace. Even if that isn't true, various 'dane governments might think it's true, and Take (In)Appropriate Steps...
(Oh, and if GC wants to hire some short-term guest teachers, Stellvia will be glad to send over an engineer or two for a few weeks. You've got fresh vegetables in exchange, right?)

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Quote:
So what are the final names now, and what did they change from, so I can adjust the glossary?
I believe that the final names are the Seijoutai as in the japanese term for Hidden Asteroid (I'n not translating the whole thing right now, my brain's strained enough). and Karasu as in Karasukage (it's more the 'black-coloured shadow' than the 'black shadow', but hey, the guy models himself on Mighty Guy).
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.
I know I said I wasn't going to contribute, but I was reminded of this today and it seems perfect...
Pratchett's Law: "Million to one chances happen nine times out of ten." One of the leading explainations as to the large amount of unique and useful Handwavium effects, and the difficulty in reproducing them.
In essence, if you want something unique and cool you'll probably get it. But once its been done, it's virtually impossible to reproduce (until there has been enough failures to make the effect 'a million to one shot' again).
Correction: If you want something Unique and Cool, and try gooping a few things, at least one of them will amost certainly be Unique and Cool. There is absolutely no guarantee (or, even, any particular likelihood) that it will follow your desires as to *specific* varieties of Unique and Cool. Attempts to exactly duplicate existing Unique, Cool things are almost certain to fail. Attempts to duplicate devices that provide Basic Fundamental Needs will generally be successful (almost always after two or three tries, if the first one didn't work) but always have some particular bit of character about them that makes them Not Quite Like Any Other.
There are ways around this, of course, and exceptions. Handwavium is *all* *about* loopholes... but none of the ways around are perfect, and none of the exceptions are guaranteed to be repeatable.
I didn't say the experimenter would get what they WANTED...
Only that they'd get something Unique and Cool, as long as it WAS Unique and Cool.