Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glossary
Re: Glossary
Quote:
The name was really just a play on transparent aluminum, but common fen legend claims the name was chosen to prevent a certain powerful company on Earth from realizing what was being built until full scale production was in progress.
It's also known as "Venusian diamond" in places that do a large amount of business with the 'Danes.
(At least, that's what it's called on the Stellvia station... )

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Since I just used the term in another thread...
Death Eaters: Wizarding World name for Boskonians.

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

Done! And might I say, why hadn't anyone thought of that obvious term before?

-- Bob
---------
The Internet Is For Norns.
Since I keep using the concept and I think I've referred to it before...
Mushytech: Somewhere between full out wavetech and hardtech, generally on the order of using handwavium for enhancements in capabilities of something that should work anyway. Tends to be looked down on in principle by people of both camps as it requires far more work than either other way.
Blazing: Slang term for 'random acts of kindness and/or good deeds' amongst the current crop of teens and tweens. Many people shocked at accompanying massive increase in random acts of kindness from said age group, Buckaroo refuses to comment, only smiling like some sort of well-fed Buddha.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Both added.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Buckaroo refuses to comment, only smiling like some sort of well-fed Buddha.
Have you seen Peter Weller? Not exactly a heavy man. But I like the slang. Besides, Weller doesn't really look like Buckaroo, except around the eyes (Reno's exact words in the TABB: Across the Eighth Dimension commentary.)Ebony the Black Dragon
Senior Editor, Living Room Games
http://www.lrgames.com
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
I spotted that as well, but I forebore to edit it on the fly.

-- Bob
---------
Re: addition
Blue Hair Day - it has been said that the laws of drama seem to replace those of logic, and often physics, in the vicinity of handwavium and its products, and while things usually seem to make sense at the time frequently someone will think back over recent actions or events and see this phenomenon in themselves. Fenspace being what it is, this has become known as 'having a blue hair day.' Examples: the launch of the Ptichka (sp?), the events leading to Wave Convoy's mind transfer, the Professor impersonator captured by Mr. Morden. The Professor himself is occasionally said to have "the bluest hair in space," but the title is open to some dispute. SERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
For the next 72 hours, Itachi intoned, I will slap you with this trout. - Spying no Jutsu, chapter 3
"In the futuristic taco bell of the year 20XX, justice wears an aluminum sombrero!"hemlock-martini
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Blue Air Day - Any day where events conspire to extract profanity from the most even-tempered of fen. Sometimes identified by Blackstone using the phrase, "I swear to fuck...."
(Not a serious suggestion, but it popped into my head on reading Drogn's addition.)Ebony the Black Dragon
Ebony the Black Dragon

I could probably extract that Blackstone quote out to thirteen or fourteen verses, if need be.
-WG, Profanitist for hire.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Quote:
I could probably extract that Blackstone quote out to thirteen or fourteen verses, if need be.
It has to do more with my own personal use of profanity, since Blackstone is a semi-SI. When I get really pissed off, I have a tendency to use it.Ebony the Black Dragon
Ebony the Black Dragon

Ahh, so you've got an in-house profanity generator. Good call, especially from an economic standpoint.
*nods sagely*Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Quote:
Blue Hair Day
Added.

-- Bob
---------
Another one I just used in another thread:
Sith: Warsie term for Boskonians (especially, but not exclusively, Boskonian Warsies)

-Rob Kelk
"Read Or Die: not so much a title as a way of life." - Justin Palmer, 6 June 2007
--
Rob Kelk

Added!

-- Bob
---------
Possible Fiver name for Boskones: Shadows__________________
666-HELL The phone number of the Beast
Works for me. Adding it.

-- Bob
---------
Faction name for the Doc Who fen; The Timelords. (seems kinda obvious in retrospect, eh?)__________________
Timelords:
The fervent Doctor Who 'fen. While they do not have a 'home base' as such, the Doctor Who fen can be found throughout Fenspace, most with a Sonic Screwdriver of one sort or another in hand. By and large, this is a frustrated fandom, given 'Wavium's unwillingness to fuster with the timestream.. Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
The Timelords also spend a lot of effort researching the theory of Gallifreyan style regeneration, but so far, few have been willing to risk themselves to test those theories.
This faction gets along quite well with the BB-fen as they share the desire to make things better whenever they can.
on a different note, once OGJ kicks in, militant Fivers will likely form a combat unit they call Rangers. [Image: glasses.gif] __________________
All added. I played with the Timelords entry a little, though -- let me know if it displeases.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Timelords Entry
Now, I don't care who y'are, that there's _funny_.
good stuff, Bob, thank you!Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
You're welcome!

-- Bob
---------
Out of the blue, I'd like to request that we keep fandom descriptions out of the glossary. Frex, the Who fandom entr(y)(ies) should be something like
Timelords: Common name for the Dr. Who fan faction. See Whovians.
Whovians: Alternate name for the Dr. Who fan faction. See Timelords.
and save the expanded description for the Gazetteer.
I bring this up because of something I noticed while typesetting the Quick Start. In Rob's original draft (which was more or less a straight rip of stuff from the forum) the Blue Blazers were referenced three times, and all three entries said the same damn thing, down to word choice. Same thing for Hidden Asteroid.
C'mon, guys. This is getting a little silly. Let's keep the glossary for defining unfamiliar terms & leave the details to the Gazetteer, okay?
Yrs,
The Committee to Reduce Redundancy Committee---
Mr. Fnord
http://fnord.sandwich.net/
http://www.jihad.net/
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"