Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Matter of Time...
A Matter of Time...
OK, just an idle thought that mugged me today.
Are there timezones in Fenspace? I know Rob and myself tend to use GMT in our fics, but is there a Stellvia standard time or does it use whichever timezone Noah lived in as its standard time? Is there such a thing as Space Lag?
Are there timezones on Mars and Venus? If so, how many because of there differing rotational periods? Let's not forget, currently a Venus Day is longer than a Venus Year. Where's the Martian Prime Meridian?
Given the nature of Fenspace I've always assumed (and writen my fics based on this) that Fenspace is a 24x7 society and thus someone is doing something at all times. How much does this affect how things are done?
Re: A Matter of Time...
GMT is your 'base' time, Mars and Venus (to a lesser extent) have 'clocks' of their own.
Usually, you just make the call, and hope whoever is on the other end isn't pissy about the whole "3 o clock in the bloody morning"
thing.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Martian Prime:
www.msss.com/mars_images/...ses/airy0/
Quote:
but is there a Stellvia standard time or does it use whichever timezone Noah lived in as its standard time?
Noah used to live somewhere on or near the Eastern Seaboard (he won't even tell me exactly where, and he's my character), but gave up his US citizenship when he re-registered Stellvia under the Australian flag. The station uses GMT as a matter of convenience; however, guest services are available 24/7.
He's considered moving Stellvia's clocks to GMT+9, to ease trade with Australia (and to a lesser extent Japan and New Zealand), but hasn't seen a compelling reason to do so ... yet.

Edit: Oops, missed a question...
Quote:
Is there such a thing as Space Lag?
According to Greiver's stories, Katz Schrodinger seems to suffer from it on occasion.

-Rob Kelk
"Read Or Die: not so much a title as a way of life." - Justin Palmer, 6 June 2007
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
If there's varying time zones, I'd expect there to be jet lag. It's not the physical movement, it's all the clocks telling you it's 9AM when you got up at 9AM... 6 hours ago.
-Morgan."Mikuru-chan molested me! I'm... so happy!"
-Haruhi, "The Ecchi of Haruhi Suzumiya"
---(Not really)
Quote:
Given the nature of Fenspace I've always assumed (and writen my fics based on this) that Fenspace is a 24x7 society and thus someone is doing something at all times.
I made much the same assumption in one of the last bits I contributed to the "Land Rising" thread, where my counterpart muses that one of the things they didn't count on was that Fenspace didn't run on Eastern Daylight Time....

-- Bob
---------
The Internet Is For Norns.
Benjamin Franklin usually operates on Mountain Standard Time (to synchronize their clocks with Colorado Springs and Cheyenne Mountain).
Greenwood carries through on a threat I used to make frequently when I MU*'ed a lot with west-coasties who were still going for hours after I had to go to bed on the east coast, and operates on UTC-10 (Hawaii Standard Time).--
"I give you the beautiful... the talented... the tirelessly atomic-powered...
R!
DOROTHY!
WAYNERIGHT!

--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
On the Sol Bianca timekeeping is a little haphazard, seeing is how the 4 normal occupants don't need the same amount of sleep as normal people. So the clocks are often adjusted to the guests onboard, with the result that few of the clocks show even close to the same time, and even that is more by accident than design.
For convince logs and experiments are tracked by GMT however.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."
Hephaestus, as compared to the Benjamin Franklin, operates on GMT, since "That damn GMT-9 thing is done causing me problems, damnit"Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979