Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[META] "Real-world" Fandoms
[META] "Real-world" Fandoms
We've had a few TV shows of non-genre stripe prove to have actually happened in Fenspace. Can we assume that things like having CSI: Miami and The Avengers be "real" don't break the setting like having a REAL Haruhi would?
Primary differences I would include would be the real versions of these characters not resembling their TV counterparts.
Also, what shows qualify for the reality treatment? Not just having Fen take up the mantles, but having the series as presented or toned down slightly as actual occurences?
Shows I'm sure would make the cut:
Dragnet
One Adam Twelve
Emergency!
CHiPs
Hill Street Blues
most "Cop Shows" of a realistic bent
Shows that DEFINITELY fall in range of the Fen (thus HAVE to be originally fictitious):
Dukes of Hazzard
TJ Hooker
The A-Team
Police Squad!
Cop Rock
Starsky and Hutch
Walker Texas Ranger [Too many Chuck Norris memes to let Walker have actually existed]
Nash Bridges
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Re: [META] "Real-world" Fandoms
Quote:
Primary differences I would include would be the real versions of these characters not resembling their TV counterparts.
For the Canadians amongst us, reference how Da Vinci's Inquest and Da Vinci's City Hall turned a real-life persons story into two TV shows. (Yes, a forensic examiner really did become mayor of Vancouver.)
Quote:
Also, what shows qualify for the reality treatment?
Hmmmmm...
The Man from U.N.C.L.E. and The Girl from U.N.C.L.E. Maybe our resident "spook" doesn't actually work for the FBI; she might be an agent of the United Network Command for Law Enforcement, trying to get us to think she works for the FBI. (After all, who'd have better worldwide intelligence assets, the FBI or U.N.C.L.E.?) Or is that what she'd want us to think...?
Quote:
Shows that DEFINITELY fall in range of the Fen
Dark Shadows
Sledge Hammer
Thunderbirds (these fen would work closely with the BBIs...)

-Rob Kelk
"Read Or Die: not so much a title as a way of life." - Justin Palmer, 6 June 2007
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
As I said, the John Steed and Emma Peel of the BBI are not actually John Steed and Emma Peel. They're a pair of retired MI 5 agents that Buckaroo has nicknamed "John Steed" and "Emma Peel." Personally, I would prefer if we stayed away from the "TV shows are real" idea as much as possible. I have no problem with fen forming organizations based off their fictional counterparts. That's what the BBI are. But I don't think we should draw in any characters that are from fictional TV series, unless they're people have been 'waved into that look.
I think it's too easy to leap from a realistic show into something a little more fantastic. If U.N.C.L.E. exists, then what about the X-files team of the FBI, and if they exist, then what about the vampire-hunting agency in "Ultraviolet" (the TV show from the UK, not the movie starring Milla Jovavich). It was my impression that we were starting with the Real World and building on it with the 'wavium. If we start allowing fictional characters that aren't 'waved normal folks or AIs, then we blur that line and muddy our original concept.
I don't care enough to raise a particularly big stink about it, but I'll be leaving any fictionals out of my contributions. All in-jokes will be more circumspect than that.Ebony the Black Dragon
Senior Editor, Living Room Games
http://www.lrgames.com
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
you know, there's no reason that cops/justice people can't 'Go Fen', just like the rest of us.. Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Quote:
you know, there's no reason that cops/justice people can't 'Go Fen', just like the rest of us..
Three words:
Judge Dread Fen ...
Quote:
Judge Dread Fen ...
Marshall Law. 'nuff said.
Quote:
Marshall Law. 'nuff said.
Having read both Judge Dredd and Marshall Law, I would like to comment by saying, "Yikes!" Neither are particularly pleasant when combined with other fandoms, especially since both are deconstructionist satires that ridicule superheroes and other conventions.Ebony the Black Dragon
Senior Editor, Living Room Games
http://www.lrgames.com
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Now, now. The 'Martial Law' you want is the one starring Sammo Hung and Arsenio Hall.--
"I give you the beautiful... the talented... the tirelessly atomic-powered...
R!
DOROTHY!
WAYNERIGHT!

--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.