Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, is there a senshi academy?
So, is there a senshi academy?
I had just started reading this forum not long before registering, but now an idea has jumped into my head. Surely there has been some sort of school set up in Senshi territory. And where there are schools you need teachers.
*.*.*
I looked across the line of students watching for their reaction to my arrival. I had an even dozen. There was of course the mandatory cat girl, another with featureless white eyes, and a pink haired girl who seemed to be trying to hide any reaction to my appearance. Strange, Pink Hair had blue hair in her student file's photograph. And what do you know, this term there was not one but two actual boys in the class, and judging from the way one was busy tugging at the collar of his shirt he neither approved of nor was used to wearing a tie. Not my fault, I wasn't the one who designed the uniforms.
Welcome to my class. My name Andrew, but for now you may call me Mister Fauho, Teacher, or Sensei. Hmm, I think Pink Hair has decided upon finding me cute, that does not bode well.
Let me start with an issue that has come up in the past. If you have any problem with being taught by a man or a furry, well tough, I've been told to stop offering to let people transfer into the classes that are going to lose the upcoming competitions. Second, I do not answer to fluffy, fox boy, or fur ball. Third, for those about to ask, yes that would be you Melissa, no I am not a kitsune. One, count it, one tail. Forth, and those of you who need this warning know who you are, I do not take glomping well. Great I don't think Pink Hair got the message, even if I was looking her right in the eyes as I said it.
*.*.*
I shall have to read more of what's been posted before going much further...
-----

Will the transhumanist future have catgirls? Does Japan still exist? Well, there is your answer.
Re: So, is there a senshi academy?
Oh, yes - this is a wonderful addition to Fenspace. I look forward to reading more.
Hmmmmm... Considering that most of the Senshi are found near Venus, it would make sense for the academy to be located there, maybe even in Crystal Tokyo itself. We haven't developed Venus very much (what does exist is already in the Gazetteer sticky; look for "Tourism in Fenspace" on page 2), so you'd have a free hand with the background.
The Senshi are one of the few factions that almost every established character likes, too, so it wouldn't stretch credibility to have the class go on field trips practically anywhere in Fenspace.
And I already like Pink Hair... er, Melissa.

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
And they can have a sports rivaly with the Hidden Asteroid's ninja acadamy. [Image: glasses.gif] __________________
I bet that if you cooked an elephant, you'd have a lot of leftovers.
If they can find them.

-- Bob
---------
The Internet Is For Norns.
Quote:
If they can find them.
Seems to me that might very well be one of the competitions between the Hidden Asteroid Ninja Academy and the Crystal Academy and Boarding School.
"Alright team, your first event is to locate the competition venue and arrive without being tagged. Here's the file with your clues, find the field in the next 24 hours. This is worth up to ten points per student if you make it to the field untagged. However if you can't find the field by the deadline you will lose twenty."

I'm also figuring that Andrew attempted to use 'wavium to more or less become a were-fox (minus any pesky loss of self control). But since letting your characters have exactly what they want can be a little dull he obviously doesn't get it without side effects. So he can change between his old and new appearances at will, if you consider a day long transformation that leaves you feeling like you just caught the flu to be "at will." Rushable so long as he doesn't mind increasing the severity of the side effects. But since no medicine seems to reduce the side effects he just plain doesn't change forms without need (such that many people have no idea the transformation isn't permanent).
"Doday clath we... huh... haff a code. Huh... ith tho me. Ow! thtop thwapping me!"
"Quick, someone go tell the Headmistress we caught an intruder. Silly impostor, don't look a thing like our teacher."
Besides, who wouldn't want to be a cute lil' fox. Oh, wait, anyone surrounded by a gaggle of girls. [Image: smile.gif] (That is the proper collective term, right?)
-----

Will the transhumanist future have catgirls? Does Japan still exist? Well, there is your answer.
A cute talking fox at the Senshi Acadamy? there'd be a huge brawl over who gets the 'cute animal mascot'.[Image: roll.gif] __________________
I bet that if you cooked an elephant, you'd have a lot of leftovers.
Quote:
A cute talking fox at the Senshi Acadamy? there'd be a huge brawl over who gets the 'cute animal mascot'.
Nope. All mascots/advisors belong to (and should be treated as) one of the staffmembers.
If you already have a personal mascot/advisor in need of an Education then they go to the University for Cute Animal Mascots and Advisors.
Note: The University, and the Academy share both Adminsitration, Staff, and Facilities. This is both unstated, and unadvertized in both sets of Student Information Packets
If magical girl anime teaches anything, it is that the cute talking critters are there to teach the new senshi.
And since handwavium won't grant true magic or super powers the magic girls will definitely need plenty of training. That said, combining 'wavium enhanced equipment with said training and you have fenspace's very own swat team. Those sailor suits and tiaras are probably the equivalent of a good many layers of kevlar and a combat rated helmet. Without the movement restricting nature of clothes made with several dozen layers of ballistic resistant fibers. Shoes that give the wearers the ability to make absurd leaps, personal flight gear wouldn't be impossible I suspect. The standard magical girl staff could have many possibilities ranging from wavium granted gifts (low light vision through the colorful end-piece anyone?) to serving as a simple thwacking stick.
Hmm. I think plot ideas are percolating.
Andrew I suspect is waiting for someone to successfully create a Nanoha style intelligent device. "Can it create shields and project a divine strike? No? Man, why would I want to bother carrying it then?"
-----

Quote:
"Can it create shields and project a divine strike? No? Man, why would I want to bother carrying it then?"
Not to mention the fen who want high-end Mai-Otome gear: "Bolt from the Blue!"
Actually, come to think of it, the Senshi academy would probably be built more or less along the lines of Garderobe. And Mai-Otome is probably a good model overall for how Magic-from-technology Girls would be trained and whatnot.
Now here's a question: They're rare, but they're there. What are the facilities for the magical boys?

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Now here's a question: They're rare, but they're there. What are the facilities for the magical boys?

Generally a dip in the 'wavium vats and a new clothes fitting...

--------------
Epsilon
What?
They don't seem to be common but they do show up at times. Although usually it seems as side characters. Yuno and Chrono in Nanoha, Tuxedo Mask in Sailor Moon (I suppose I ought to actually watch that series, I've got the BESM book for it), and some others.
There is apparently also a Go Nogai show that has a boy who gets annoyed when his parents accidentally buy the wrong school uniform, resulting in someone mistakenly picking him to be a new magical girl. But all I know about it is the couple of sentence plot summary for a DVD it was on.
I suspect there will probably be multiple schools, some based strongly on one series and others less specific. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them either were single gender schools or with separate programs for each gender (probably not safe to say 'both' genders with all the 'wavium floating about).
-----

Quote:
"Alright team, your first event is to locate the competition venue and arrive without being tagged. Here's the file with your clues, find the field in the next 24 hours. This is worth up to ten points per student if you make it to the field untagged. However if you can't find the field by the deadline you will lose twenty."
Raises hand.
"Do we get point's for tagging the defending team, this time?"
nextgen stuff
Here's where I think we should get a ruling on what the shape of the next generation will be from Comrade Commisar Fnord.
I think it'll be at least transmetropolitan, maybe accelarando. possibly influenced by great mambo chicken and the transhuman condition so we get into revelation space-type stuff.
or, better and perhaps more fenny-yet, is adam warren's later dirty pair work-Run From the Future, especially.
So in this kind of environment, not sure what, well, use a school would be, even one built around sailor senshi iconography.
-murmur
[that our school systems are built around the idea of industrialization and are thus incompatible with a post-industrial era is another argument altogether]
Re: nextgen stuff
I think you've got to remember that with fen it's just as much cultural as it is practical. The idea of a "school" for fenkinder isn't as much about learning skills (though that's part of it) as it is a way to reinforce fen cultures. A Senshi-faction school might call the students magical girls/boys, or HiMEs or Otomes or Eva pilots, etc. but the core principle is in making sure the faction's cultural values are passed down to the next generation. Yes, it's indoctrination, and no, it's not really different from any mundane education system.---
Mr. Fnord
http://fnord.sandwich.net/
http://www.jihad.net/
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
Now is the time on Sprokets, um, this thread where I say, "Whoa, cool! I got Great Mambo Chicken and the Transhuman Condition from the library and enjoyed it so much I bought it the first time I saw it at the bookstore. Shame the recreational kaboom group can't do their stuff anymore without being hassled. Would be fun to watch (from a suitable safe distance) some of the stuff described in that chapter.
That said, I think that in all of fenspace there will probably be quite a few small schools. Everything from people on ships homeschooling whatever kids they have with them to small schools on the stations and colonies. If you can imagine it, someone is probably trying it. I see the school Andrew is working for looking a little traditional at first glance, but also taking advantage of the smaller size to make sure the students get individual attention. Of course if you took a close look at the physical education it would probably become clear it isn't a traditional school. How many schools have parkour and martial arts (in the broad sense, everything from hand to hand fighting to fencing and the martial use of the staff) as part of the standard P.E. schedule?
-----

I think it will be highly dependent on where in fenspace you are as to what kind of schooling you get.
If you are in or near a major metropolis you will probably go to something that reembles our current schooling system, which just makes the differences stand out more.
When you get further away from other people traditional schooling becomes harder because of a lack of teacher and a lack of students, so you will see something more along the lines of home schooling or medival-like apprenticeships.
The quality of schooling will also vary, as will the content (stealth and advances sneakiness, forinstane is a class most likely only found at the ninja academy (is it kind of like the police academy?)).
And yes shooling will always contain some form of cultural indoctrination, it's human nature. With biomods this might change, but I have a hard time seeing a civilization that does not do this last for a generation.
On a related topic... where do the AI's that need schooling go?
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."
Quote:
I think it will be highly dependent on where in fenspace you are as to what kind of schooling you get.
I suppose this is the point where I remind folks of the Glossary entry that someone came up with for "Sky High", aka the Grover's Corners Elementary and High Schools. These are probably way down the line from the "current" date of story telling, but I can just envision a boarding school built in one of the fallow fields somewhere...

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
On a related topic... where do the AI's that need schooling go?
I'm having a hard time imagining this. '.'
Maybe it's to do with the fact that all the AI characters I have pretty much sprang into existance as adults. Which probably wouldn't make sense in a hard SF setting...
-Morgan."This continuity is now a Princess of Darkness crossover."
"... They're all going to die, aren't they?"
"Yep. Popcorn?"
Re: Andrew Fauho, Senshi Teacher
I'm now looking at writing four bits for Andrew. The Andrew Goes to Fenspace story that started else-thread, the story of Andrew's class that started earlier in this thread (it's his first class after being promoted from assistant instructor to teacher), another involving a class field trip slash public relations event (three guesses what country I want them to visit, and I'll be really disappointed if all three guesses are needed).
That's three. Reading about the loss of Crystal Osaka else-thread gave me some thoughts for a story set after that. But I'll have to wait until I know more about those events before I can do too much plotting.
And that's why there will be a little delay before more parts of any of the first two are posted. I plan on actually sitting down and doing at least a modest outline. But for now, a snippit of part of the last of the four. It's one of the stronger images I have for it so far.

The small craft neared the end of it's journey. The non-sentient AI controlling it felt happy. It hoped to be a good pod. It had done almost all it had been asked to do, and now it would carry out the last of the orders given to it.
Petals of dark fabric opened allowing a small cluster of crystal lenses to extend out from the pod. Checking the stars the little craft pivoted and continued its search. A moment later the AI's happiness grew. Success! It was a good pod after all! The lenses drew back in and an antenna reached out and pointed at the station the pod was approaching.
"Please stand by for a pre-recorded emergency message. Message will repeat until acknowledged. Video signal starts now..." The man on the screen was no longer human. However he used to look he was now a fox dressed in a pale green robe, and he seemed too calm to be sending an emergency broadcast. But his voice left no doubt he was serious. "My name is Andrew Fauho and I am a teacher on Crystal Kyoto. If you are receiving this message three things have happened. First, if now new has yet escaped then know one of our cities has been attacked. Second, if I chose this recording then I have doubts about our holding the city. Third, ..."
-----