Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
re: places in Fenspace
re: places in Fenspace
Taken from the sticky so it keeps random conversation out.
Quote:
Crystal Seattle? Whaddaya wanna bet that Shadowrun Fen have already infiltrated the place?
Followed shortly by three Starbucks, a Seattle's Best, and two Bigfoot Java stands. Some stereotypes are true
---
Jon
"And that must have caused my dad's brain to break in half, replaced by a purely mechanical engine of revenge!"
Re: re: places in Fenspace
The Crystal Seattle version of Pike's Place Market is just getting started, but there's already a hot dog stand with Damn Fine Kosher Dogs.. Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Which is better than the Shadowrun version -- I have a Jewish street samurai in Helen's campaign, and I once scoured the old Seattle citybook looking for bagel places or kosher delis. I found not a one. A million Japanese places, French, Mexican, Elvish, you name it. But not one bagel joint.
This failed the reality test for me big time. I very nearly wrote them a nasty letter about it.

-- Bob
---------
The Internet Is For Norns.
Quote:
Which is better than the Shadowrun version -- I have a Jewish street samurai in Helen's campaign, and I once scoured the old Seattle citybook looking for bagel places or kosher delis. I found not a one. A million Japanese places, French, Mexican, Elvish, you name it. But not one bagel joint.
You too? I had the Russian Orthodox Jewish dwarf physical adept. He spent a brief stint in Seattle after immigrating, and then moved to New Orleans to become a private investigator. Ebony the Black Dragon
Senior Editor, Living Room Games
http://www.lrgames.com
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Quote:
Quote:
Which is better than the Shadowrun version -- I have a Jewish street samurai in Helen's campaign, and I once scoured the old Seattle citybook looking for bagel places or kosher delis. I found not a one. A million Japanese places, French, Mexican, Elvish, you name it. But not one bage

You too? I had the Russian Orthodox Jewish dwarf physical adept. He spent a brief stint in Seattle after immigrating, and then moved to New Orleans to become a private investigator.[/quote]
There is a reason behind this. Most of it can be blamed upon mixing the concerns of certain organized religions, and Copyright Laws. Basicaly, it's ok to print a stereotype of roleplaying a nationality, but not that of a real religion. Infact if you want to avoid book burning mobs you generaly want to avoid any thing to do with religion. The biggest example I can think of was a group of Religious Fanatics that tried to sue a LARP group for acting out a "Satanic" ritual in the the sewers of a local coledge, and when that failed, they went after their sorce material.
Quote:
Basicaly, it's ok to print a stereotype of roleplaying a nationality, but not that of a real religion. Infact if you want to avoid book burning mobs you generaly want to avoid any thing to do with religion.
As a counterexample to this, see the In Nomine Game Master's Guide and GURPS Banestorm, both of which go into detail about Christianity, Judaism, and Islam. If Steve Jackson Games has had any problems because they did this, I haven't heard anything about them...

-Rob Kelk
"Read Or Die: not so much a title as a way of life." - Justin Palmer, 6 June 2007
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
They haven't. I'd know.

-- Bob
---------
The Internet Is For Norns.