Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC] Wavium and AIs?
[OOC] Wavium and AIs?
Thought that came up... it's been established that a lot of how handwavium works is linked to the user. Well, what about AIs? Leaving aside philosophic questions about what it means to be sentient, can handwavium created AIs themselves use the stuff if so inclined?
Re: [OOC] Wavium and AIs?
I'm operating under that assumption with Buckaroo. Although, given the "smart mob" situation that the Institute works through, it could be said that the 2000 or so Blue Blazers are actually using the 'wavium, with Buckaroo enacting their findings.Ebony the Black Dragon
Senior Editor, Living Room Games
http://www.lrgames.com
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Just asking, partially because Dee (a techie from another setting and an evolved PDA here) was griping about the whole "no body" thing... and me getting all the fun toys.
In the specific case: Noah has a few leftover androids from when he tried to create the entire "Stellvia" and "You're Under Arrest" main casts. Who knew that, for him, the 'wavium would only work on the cute girls with glasses?
If Dee wants to experiment, there's a wide range of body types available for re-customization in mid-2008, with the supply dwindling as curious Fen buy them up. Although that leads to the question of whether repeated applications of different strains of 'wavium by different people have different effects...
In the general case: I see AIs as just another kind of people, and thus can't see why the miracle goop wouldn't work for them.

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Quote:
If Dee wants to experiment, there's a wide range of body types available for re-customization in mid-2008, with the supply dwindling as curious Fen buy them up. Although that leads to the question of whether repeated applications of different strains of 'wavium by different people have different effects...
*Dee raises a virtual eyebrow on her little hologram. "Body types? Bah! I was actually going to try pushing the waving/starting mass ratios as high as possible and see what happens. Thanks for the offer, though..."
... read Alita too many times, I have.
likelihood of vat of wavium + AI = spontaneously generated humaniform, slim.
It's a Hell of a Cool Thing, so you'd be looking at some serious weaknesses to back it up.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Quote:
likelihood of vat of wavium + AI = spontaneously generated humaniform, slim.
It's a Hell of a Cool Thing, so you'd be looking at some serious weaknesses to back it up.

*Dee nods. "Yep. I'm expecting the 'doesn't bloody work' quirk on most of the first attempts, a lot of fine-tuning on the concept to overcome that *at all*, and several retries once something close is arrived at. Sorta the brute force method of making workable stuff; do it over and over until it's close enough." The holographic girl shrugs. "There's bound to be some minimum amount of 'hard' matter that's required to form a framework, but I don't think anyone's tinkered enough to figure out what it is."

... and yes, I'm letting her answer this. Don't think too hard about it.
The thing is - is it _framework_ or _basic unit_ that's needed. I mean, I can turn out a damn fine solid Battle Aluminum* skeleton, you could get myomer-actuation from some of those hard-suit crazy guys, sensors and whatnot...
Huh. come to think of it, with good credit or finance, building a humaniform drone wouldn't be that difficult.

*Aluminum instead of steel, 'cause we all _know_ how bad a ferrous skeleton sucks.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
hmmm
RealDoll+WaveConvoy's cybertronium strain Handwavium= ???
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Quote:
There's some comedy potential in explaining to your AI where you got their body frame.
"So, where'd you get this chassie. There's no Bodies R' Us yet."
"Er..... promise you won't turn off the oxygen."---------------
-Jon
Leo (July 23-Aug. 22)
The population density of Wyoming is very low, but that doesn't mean the people there aren't also out to kill you.
---
Jon
"And that must have caused my dad's brain to break in half, replaced by a purely mechanical engine of revenge!"
Quote:
There's some comedy potential in explaining to your AI where you got their body frame.

Comedy potential inversly porportional to used/new status of body.. Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Quote:
The thing is - is it _framework_ or _basic unit_ that's needed. I mean, I can turn out a damn fine solid Battle Aluminum* skeleton, you could get myomer-actuation from some of those hard-suit crazy guys, sensors and whatnot...
Dee nods at that. "Well, the question is there. The skeleton, myomers and the rest... well hell, I know all about the myomers, we keep an assload in stock. It and the skeleton are on backup plan tiers. Oh, and ferrous is troublesome, but very high alloys steels get around it anyway... aluminum alloys are all well and good, but I don't want to have to think about fatigue lifespan of my structural bits."
Quote:
"Urgh... well, I suppose that's one idea too, even if distasteful. I think I'm near unique in that I evolved pre-body and I'm trying to make my own... not have one made for me, or any of the rest. Automated factories and CNC setups for the win."
[Going IC-ish as Vulpine Fury, random Fen Idea man from Kandor.]
BOARD: Kandor City Handwavium Discussion Forums>TechBase>Stark Industries>Androids
Posted by: Vulpine_Fury, MM-DD-201x at 23:15 GMT
Hmm. An interesting dilemma. How biomimetic are you looking to go? From your Avatar in the forum I see that you self-identify fairly near-human. Something like it can be acheived with all sorts of materials from Hardtech to state-of-the-kludge 'wavium.
If I recall correctly, only a decent "balance" system was missing from hardtech bipedal locomotion drivetrains.
I may have to double-check my animatronics experiments...
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat

-- James Nicoll
BOARD: Kandor City Handwavium Discussion Forums>TechBase>Stark Industries>Androids
Posted by: Dee, MM-DD-201x at 23:31 GMT
Frankly, not very biometric. Planned exterior pattern is Berserker class cyborgs, of Alita fame, and if you're familiar with the source the reason for the high desired proportion of 'wavium in the construction is apparent too. If you're not familiar, well, human shape and size, but no obvious attempt to conceal cybernetics below the neck.
The full-on 'wavium-kludge ideas range towards CNCing a female exterior mold from tooling epoxy, doing a manga/wavium composite layup on the interior and filling the rest with close to purestrain goop impregnated with as much powdered metal as it can stand and retain fluidity. If that fails to take in any useful direction, adding an internal skeleton to the mix, but if it requires more on the "basic unit but modified" rather than "framework, raw materials, and very strong hints" side of things going for far more hardtech in the structure.
I'm leaning towards at least trying it because it fits in with the original source and things with those kinds of goop/dane ratios are something noone much has tried.
If that doesn't produce workable results, it's more towards a monocoque structure out of machined high-nickel alloys, ex-hardsuit myomers laced around inside the thing, and all the rest. Wavium on the head area either way, since doing it naturally's a bit too fiddly to bother with, and senses sound like they'd be fun.
Remember I Athena'd from KJ; borrowing his resources, there's plenty of machining centers for me to use and I got most of his technical knowledge as well. Mushytech is another inclination I got from him; hardtech enhanced with guacamole... even if it does take a lot of trial and error to get workable.
Hell, if you had the luxury of being able to get your body how you wanted it, wouldn't you take the time to make sure it's done right? [Image: wink.gif]
-D
Quote:
If I recall correctly, only a decent "balance" system was missing from hardtech bipedal locomotion drivetrains.
Dee would _be_ the balance system here, so put that concern out of the skull.

Quote:
CNCing a female exterior mold from tooling epoxy
Oh, IIIIInteresting..
Quote:
Hell, if you had the luxury of being able to get your body how you wanted it, wouldn't you take the time to make sure it's done right?
I did, I do, I'm happy-ish. No reason you can't, shouldn't, or shouldn't be happy with the end result.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Posted by: Vulpine_Fury, MM-DD-201x at 23:55 GMT
Very nice! I can get you in touch with some really good sculptors here on Kandor, with varying degrees of personal aesthetics. Here's a gallery link.
To be frank, I'd skip the Wildstorm Avatar Works if you're basing your frame off of Gunm/Battle Angel Alita. They tend to craft female forms with *ahem* low agility and high proportional ratios. And I'd definitely go for someone else to craft your head and face. Those guys can't make ANY expressions work right except a grimace.
Not to toot my own horn, but I've gotten pretty good at crossing the "uncanny valley" on 'waved animatronics. I'm adept at "Disney Theme park" style for Hardtech, and I made the Kusanagi installation at the last Kandor "fanarts" gathering. I'm not so good at the AIs myself, so I'm not known for my Androids as much as my "puppets."
I'll "PM" you with the contact information if you're interested.

-- James Nicoll
Posted by: Dee, MM-DD-201x at 01:17 GMT
Quote:
Oh, IIIIInteresting..
Note I mean "female mold" in the sense of "convex" not in the sense of "mold of a girl" even though in this case, it'd be that too. [Image: wink.gif] It's well established procedure among motorsports and stuff for doing good, dimensionally accurate composite monocoque chassis.
Quote:
Very nice! I can get you in touch with some really good sculptors here on Kandor, with varying degrees of personal aesthetics. Here's a gallery link.
To be frank, I'd skip the Wildstorm Avatar Works if you're basing your frame off of Gunm/Battle Angel Alita. They tend to craft female forms with *ahem* low agility and high proportional ratios. And I'd definitely go for someone else to craft your head and face. Those guys can't make ANY expressions work right except a grimace.
Not to toot my own horn, but I've gotten pretty good at crossing the "uncanny valley" on 'waved animatronics. I'm adept at "Disney Theme park" style for Hardtech, and I made the Kusanagi installation at the last Kandor "fanarts" gathering. I'm not so good at the AIs myself, so I'm not known for my Androids as much as my "puppets."
I'll "PM" you with the contact information if you're interested.
Yeah, uh... being that topheavy would screw with all sorts of things, giant steel knockers of doom commentary aside. Besides which, the body is something I want to do myself; I know exactly what I'm going for and, if the goopkludge idea doesn't work, I know how to make all the bits. Metal cyborg bodies are more engineering than artistry... or at least it's a different sort of artistry than normal. Either way, it's a kind I'm good at. Hell, I almost wonder if that might not be cooler anyway... some of the nickel-based alloys polish up really really well too.
Hrrrrm. Makes me reconsider trying to make the "almost pure 'wavium" idea work at all. Stuff ain't free.
Head and face... well, that's different, and I'm well open to help. I've some idea on what I look like, but translating to flesh (well, flesh-ish) is trickier and outside my skillsets... to say *nothing* of facial animatronics. I could just goop it and hope it works, but... that seems kinda half-assed and less than likely to produce good results.
-D
Posted by: Vulpine_Fury, MM-DD-201x at 14:27 GMT
Okay, I've been pondering this for a while. I'm willing to sculpt your bust (as in head, neck and top of shoulders, you perverts, geeze! [Image: wink.gif] ) for you and get you started on the process for your animatronics. I've just pm'ed you an emulator for my typical facial control rig and a "test" female face for it to run. Major Kusanagi, in fact.
Have someone you trust go over the code before you run any of it, there may be OS difficulties and I don't want to zorch your functioning with some mistake I, as a meatbag, didn't notice working this with idiot systems. If that checks out, play with some of the presets and tweak around the expressions... the head was created in a version of Blender, so source for trying your own ideas for the head should not be problematic.
Now processor load is likely to be a little higher than the final product, since my rigs will have dedicated processors to assist, and memory storage of your favored expressions would be hardwired.
If this meets your approval, we can arrange the details like size and what exact features you need at a later date. This should entertain me enough that I'll just charge you for materials.

-- James Nicoll