Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a contrary opinion from an author
a contrary opinion from an author
Here's what M. John Harrison, author of Viriconium among other things, has to say about world-building:
"Every moment of a science fiction story must represent the triumph of writing over worldbuilding.
Worldbuilding is dull. Worldbuilding literalises the urge to invent."
Rest of the entry is from his blog:
uzwi.wordpress.com/2007/0...ry-afraid/
-murmur
Re: a contrary opinion from an author
I have to disagree with the author, worldbuilding is essential to make a consistent world, not everything needs to be detailed out but more should be planned than is written because it will show in the writing.
You can do without, just as you can do without creating a basic plot outline but chances are that your story will be better with it.
And for a multiauthor project a coherent setting must be agreed upon.
That said the laws of drama should beat the laws of virtual physics, as long as it is consistent.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."
Actually, I agree with the letter.
Note, he wrote 'Every moment of a science fiction story', meaning the story itself, _not_ the creative process and research/creation involved in making a 'frame' for said story.
But that aside, I generally feel that outlines serve better than hashing out everything in as detailed a manner as possible.
-Griever
When tact is required, use brute force. When force is required, use greater force.
When the greatest force is required, use your head. Surprise is everything. - The Book of Cataclysm
Mmm, true, if a detail is needed, it'll either show up in writing, or make itself known in preplanning.
Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
I see world building much as making an outline, it's not detailed but you still know what is there. It proviveds the raw materials for the backdrop and the most rules for the setting. Without it you'd be lucky to get something as nonsensical as the wizarding world.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."