Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legalize Thionite!
Legalize Thionite!
As there are no real laws, per se, in fenspace, there can't really be any legalization or lack thereof for drugs. Now while it's arguable about the whole "overwhelmingly addictive and destructive" bit about thionite, it must be remembered that addiction is a medical condition that is treatable and curable, particularly if you've got access to super-medical tech.
I imagine that there are many fen who wouldn't mind hacking their own neurophysiology with or without external means.
So I'm proposing that thionite be seen as "bad" for the first few years after the exodus to space but as soon as medical technology is avaiable the whole paraiah-status of "drug users" be lifted.
-murmur
Re: Legalize Thionite!
Quote:
I imagine that there are many fen who wouldn't mind hacking their own neurophysiology with or without external means.
Some of whom actually post here... but that's a story for another day.
Anyway, the thionite situation is part & parcel of the tangled mess that is Fenspace-Danelaw relations. If people were manufacturing thionite for home use, it wouldn't be a cause for alarm. If they were selling to Fenspace eventually the kid-friendly fractions like the Ninjas or the Wizards would start leaning on 'em to knock off the drug trade. The problem comes in because a) they're selling on Earth, b) the usual suspects from the dirtside narcotics trade have taken an interest, and c) the traditional foes of the narcotics trade are taking an interest.
So you've got psychopathic whackjob fen mixing it up with psychopathic wackjob mundanes, drug cartels who're looking at Fenspace and seeing a new Colombia in the making, twitchy space power governments who want somebody to do something (and if it's not done fast, then they'll do it), etc. The situation isn't quite as clear-cut as "legalize thionite."---
Mr. Fnord
http://fnord.sandwich.net/
http://www.jihad.net/
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
woah, just did my research on Thionite - this is the next cocaine, and Fenspace is the next eighties.
Now, marijuana, on the other hand..
I can confidently state that marijuana is classed right with alcohol, though nowhere near as common or as public in use, mostly out of respect of the secondhand issue.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Thionite is roughly as addictive as the One Ring. It takes a strong will not to willfully overdose on it and it magnifies megalomaniacal tendencies. God only knows what would happen to anyone using it while working with Handwavium.
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.