Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gah! Another bunny!
Gah! Another bunny!
Okay, here's a good one for you guys to play with. What would it take to make a Stargate? I know that some of you would say that it breaks the rules, but I don't think that this is so bad. For one thing, in order for this to work, you HAVE to have a corresponding gate on the other end - tricky to pull off since Handwavium doesn't like 'mass production' even if you're doing it 'by hand'. You'd need someone like The Professor to build something like this - he has the ability to, more or less, force Handwavium to do what he wants it to.
Also, the 'Gate is only capable of moving limited amounts of cargo and personel and is not quite the miracle worker it is made out to be in the Stargate series. For example, if you open a gate into a vacuum, then you're gonna wind up with all the air getting blown out through your end of the 'Gate. Exact opposite applies if you gate into a flooded area. Yeah, this one will be indescriminate and bi-directional, with the results of two people jumping into either end at the same time being rather grotesque. A very dangerous way to travel, yes?
Thoughts?
Black Aeronaut Technologies Group
Aerospace Solutions for the discerning spacer
"To the commissary we should go," Yoda declared firmly. "News
of this kind a danish requires."

Re: Gah! Another bunny!
Hrmm.
Feels wrong.
Too early. Broken.
-Griever
just reread Watchmen. channeling Rorschach.
When tact is required, use brute force. When force is required, use greater force.
When the greatest force is required, use your head. Surprise is everything. - The Book of Cataclysm
I was thinking about puting in a similar system at some point between mars-Venus, and just open it to shift the atmosphere a little.
But that is for years down the road, and travel would probably not be instantatinus, and only if other people thought it was a good idea.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."
Quote:
Thoughts?
It's waaaaaaaayyyyyyy too early in the setting for one of these, in my humble opinion.
It might work in a Fenspace: The Next Generation story, but I think it's out of place in what we've got going here...

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
It's arguable that it's the professor doing what the handwavium wnts him to.
...and yeah, it's too early. By the time it's not too early, fenspace will be pretty much just another (somewhat quirky) ubertech universe.
Wasn't one of the starting assumptions that handwavium doesn't do dimensional wonkiness? I may be wrong on that... but regardless, yeah, I think it's probably too early for something quite like that. A possible alternative, at least for the atmosphere-tossing thing, could be a strange variation on the speed drive - it forms a drive field around a volume that does not include the drive unit itself, then projects whatever is there out to $RANGE, where it decelerates back to rest relative to the nearest significant object. Range here would probably be on the LEO-to-Moon order at most and you'd have to feed it a huge amount of power in a burst when the field is created dependent on size and mass, but as a way to get the mail through in orbit or launch escape pods it could have potential. It doesn't work as a weapon, because if the course intersects anyhting significant enough to not just bounce like a micrometeorite the field is disrupted as if it had reached the end of its run.
- CDSERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
For the next 72 hours, Itachi intoned, I will slap you with this trout. - Spying no Jutsu, chapter 3
"In the futuristic taco bell of the year 20XX, justice wears an aluminum sombrero!"hemlock-martini
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
I had several idas for an atmosphere exchanger, the gate was merly the fastest. Another would be a massdriver as used in stars! to send large packets of mass from one space station to another. But as I said, it's still to early.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."
I knew that this would not be something that would happen for a while. It's definitely a "Next Generation" thing that would probably be a whole new kind of ball game. Set maybe fifty years later? A hundred?
Black Aeronaut Technologies Group
Aerospace Solutions for the discerning spacer
"To the commissary we should go," Yoda declared firmly. "News
of this kind a danish requires."