Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Discussion] Laying out Luna

Quote:You know, the only reason I called that station Jusenkyo was that it was positioned right next to the spring that fed Takahashi Creek. That's it; no ulterior motives for wayward catgirls, just a tiny tip of the hat towards Takahashi's most (im)famous creation.

Point. It might also help obscure some talk leading up to taking 'Jusenkyo' later on. Of course, it might have to be renamed afterwards because of negative conotations.

Although it might be nice to have an artifitial hot springs complex up there...

Quote:As for the layout, I'm not going to stop until I've at least got all the streets in Old Kandor and the downtown area laid out, if not all named. Moo hoo ha ha ha.

I was going to say "You're Crazy!", but you went and spoiled it with that laugh. Fnord, as a piece of advice, DON'T enter the Mad Scientist's Laughter competition. The Mads might deal with the embarrasment of your laugh by experimenting on YOU.

Quote: Cobalt Greywalker wrote:

Quote: Timote wrote:

Quote:

And due to the greater size things are feeling quite empty in there now.

Well, you could designate some of it as (future) farmland, for when the terraforming gets far enough along.

It is. There's a line at the end of the terraforming bit about teh plans to make the rest arable and grazing land.

(N.B. Wow. Looks like the board can do nested quotes now.)

I meant have a section of the map with the notation: Farmland (eventually) or something. You had commented that the map seemed empty did you not?
(granted, I could have made my point better)

Admittedly, I like the idea of just leaving most of the dome as quasi-wilderness, with no agricultural purpose whatsoever. But I'm Coloradan, which means I
have an inborn love of stuff like that. [Image: wink.gif]
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

M Fnord Wrote:Admittedly, I like the idea of just leaving most of the dome as quasi-wilderness, with no agricultural purpose whatsoever. But I'm Coloradan, which means I have an inborn love of stuff like that. [Image: wink.gif]

Having spent most of my childhood summers in what southern-Ontario folks refer to as "Northern Ontario" (except that one year I actually did make it north of Sudbury and into the real Northern Ontario), I have to agree with you there.

Besides, we need some room for a "Forbidden Forest," even if it isn't near Hogwarts... 8)

--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

"Forbidden" because the students have to go waaaaay off-campus to get to it?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Quote: "Forbidden" because the students have to go waaaaay off-campus to get to it?
Well that and the rumors of a vicious biomodded white rabbit that lives in a cave in said forest. [Image: devil.gif]

Hmm, maybe having the ninjas refer to the 'forbidden forest' as 'the forest of death'?

Timote Wrote:
Quote: "Forbidden" because the students have to go waaaaay off-campus to get to it?
Well that and the rumors of a vicious biomodded white rabbit that lives in a cave in said forest. [Image: devil.gif]

Hmm, maybe having the ninjas refer to the 'forbidden forest' as 'the forest of death'?
 Said rabbit being a really nice sort, actually. He just can't stand Monty Python and the Holy Grail jokes.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Quote: Foxboy wrote:

Quote:

Timote wrote:

Quote:

"Forbidden" because the students have to go waaaaay off-campus to get to it?

Said rabbit being a really nice sort, actually. He just can't stand Monty Python and the Holy Grail jokes.

And if you ask politely, he'll invite you to tea with his habadasher friend...
--
Rob Kelk

OK, my brain's been dead on this subject for a while now and no-one's been adding to it so I've cleaned up what I've got and if no-one says
anything by the 19th of Feb I'll do a simple Wiki-fication of these and upload

LUNA

Holding the unique distinction of being the only other celestial body Man had personally visited pre wave, Earth's moon Luna (or simply The Moon) is the
most populous body in Fenspace.

The largest city in Fenspace is Kandor City, based around The Watchtower and located in Crater Daniell. The city has a population of 350,000, and hosts the
Metahuman Power Biomodification Research Institute (Supers faction home base), Kandor City Hospital, and the base for the Soviet Air Force "Central
Committee" among others.

The Watchtower is the oldest structure on Luna, and lifts a remarkable 1600m from the surface among its sprawling supports on the south-western lip of the
crater. The old part of the city along with the old docks and warehouse district are based around these supports and inside the crater, with the actual living
area in glass covers sections between the supports on the craters inner rim.

To the south on Dorsa Smirnov, the Senshi maintain their Moon Kingdom memorial outpost.

Even further south is Port Luna. Here the US Coast Guard has set up shop to prevent the 'vandalism' of the site of Man's first extra planetary
mission. Port Luna helps serve Tranquillity Base National Park, which it surrounds in a ring of pressurised buildings and connecting walkways. The only United
States National Park that is not actually on Earth, Tranquillity Base encompasses a 25-square-mile region centred on the Apollo 11 landing site. A transparent
lunar-glass wall over ten meters in height fences off the actual landing site from tourists in order to preserve Armstrong and Aldrin's footprints and the
equipment they left behind, but the wall is handwavium-enhanced and will provide magnified images. A nearby Visitor's Centre houses a museum, a theatre in
which a 20-minute film about the Apollo 11 mission runs on continuous loop, and a scale model of the site which can be explored with interactive camera drones.
The land was originally claimed by Fen, who donated it to the US government on the condition they turn it all into a National Park. The other Apollo landing
sites are covered as World Heritage Sites and have 3km exclusion zones.

All except the Apollo 14 landing site. While the lander & immediate area are locked off as historical sites, the rest of the surrounding territory has been
converted into the Shepard Memorial Golf Course, the first PGA-approved (well, sort of; they slipped the documents in and got the signatures anyway) 18-hole
course offworld.

Near the Luna North Pole is Moonbase Alpha. A more hardtech approach to a city, Moonbase Alpha is more an industrial centre than a place to live. It's also
near completely self-sufficient and operates an underground hazardous materials storage site on the Luna dark-side.

Also on the dark side of Luna are the Mare Marginis Construction Sites where the Venus Crystal Cities were constructed and the Senshi's main shipbuilding
site exists.

At the Luna South Pole is the Shackleton Crater complex. This is run by the Artemis Corporation and the various Luna colonisation societies in co-operation.
Shackleton Crater mines the small amount of ice and hydrogen to be found here, as well as mounts the Blind Io Luna Observatory Complex.

Kandor City

The largest city in Fenspace, based around The Watchtower and located in Crater Daniell. The city has a population of 350,000, and hosts the Metahuman Power
Biomodification Research Institute (Supers faction home base), Kandor City Hospital, and the base for the Soviet Air Force "Central Committee" among
others.

The Watchtower is the oldest structure on Luna, and lifts a remarkable 1600m from the highest point of the south-western lip of the crater, with a number of
large supports helping to stabilise the foundation. The old part of the city along with the old docks and warehouse district are based around these supports
and inside the crater, with the actual living area in glass covered sections between the supports on the craters inner rim. Eventually, the fen got inspired
(or bored) and built a full bell-like dome over the entire crater. This dome reaches 5Km over the center of the crater and almost twice the height of the
Watchtower. The light shinning off it makes it the only man-made structure to be visible by the naked eye from Earth.

Inside the dome, the Supers who built it took advantage of the free space to lay out a clean, tidy, and surprisingly green city. Whilst the old town is
crowded, the new city takes the best features of the various cities in fiction and combines them. Due to Crater Daniell being an ellipse (with the long axis
being Northwest to Southeast), the fen came up with an arrangement of 3 oval zones placed inside one another with their borders 4Km apart. From the center of
the crater these are named the Core, Main, and Rim zones. These were then split into 8 wedges, corresponding to the major compass points creating the sectors
of the city. Each of the sectors is linked by the Kandor City Maglev train system and the Heavy Cargo Transport system on the crater rim. Unofficially there is
an Outer zone which deals with those facilities outside the crater rim, and while it has not yet happened further zones may be unofficially designated.

The Watchtower sits on the rim at the Southwest position and the old docks take up the 'Southwest Outer' area, with the Old Town (including such things
as Question Alley, the Paragon City Saloon, and Dr J's hardware store) taking up the Southwest Rim sector.

To the north of the Watchtower along the rim are the Metahuman Power Biomodification Research Institute (a.k.a. Star Labs) and the dedicated emergency docks of
Kandor City Hospital. Ironically enough, further round in the West sector is where Korolev Air Force Base (home base of the Soviet Air Force or VVS) is
located.

Further round in the North Rim sector is the Kirby Memorial Spaceport (extending into the unofficial 'North Outer' area outside the crater rim) and the
docklands/warehouse district. Also here are the lots of the Silvery Moon Films studios (located towards the border of the North and Northeast Rim sectors). The
heavy industries line the rim of the crater to the west of this area in the Northwest Rim sector and extend outside the rim for those industries requiring
vacuum. (a.k.a Northwest Outer).

To the south of the Watchtower in the South Rim sector, surrounded by the unique Kandor Bell species of Dandy (taken as the symbol of the place) is the Nekomi
Institute of Technology. The Supers running it are gradually getting their courses accredited by 'Daneside authorities, with the first full Degrees due to
finish in May 2014. Already N.I.T. is becoming known for its wide variety of clubs, especially its Motor Club which currently holds the record for the fastest
ground level circumnavigation of Luna at the equator. Also in this area are the various sports facilities of the city, including a full ski slope.

The new business and shopping district is in the Southwest Main sector. This contains the high-rise office buildings of the various companies in the City, with
the new shops taking up the floors near street level. On the border between this sector and the Southwest Core sector is the entertainment district.

The current residential district takes up the Southeast Rim section. This area is filled with multi-storey mansions owned by various factions and high-rise
apartment buildings. What most people don't realise is that Kandor builds underground, allowing an awful lot of space that normally wouldn't be
available. Towards the Southeast-East border is Gil Kane Memorial High School (which actually covers everything between primary and university), and towards
the Rim-Main Southeast-East corner is the Home for Wayward Catgirls.

Under construction on the border of the South and Southeast Core zones near the centre of the dome is the Trinity Towers arcology. This is a modified version
of the Sky City concept from Takenaka Corporation. Being built to the Japanese building code in respect of the country the design came from, the three 2km tall
'cities in a building' will dominate the surrounding landscape. When finished in late 2014, each will provide housing for 75,000 people, and workspace
for another 100,000. The three towers would be linked by an upper core housing the cities internal airport and main embassies. The Japanese government is
officially watching the project, which may gain Clark Universal Construction an Earth-side contract.

One of Kandor City's nicknames is the Green City, and it isn't due to the fact that it's named after a Kryptonian City. Kandor City is a wonder of
recycling and reclamation, and it has terraformed most of the area under the dome. The most impressive part of this is the creek-fed Lake Tezuka in the exact
center of the dome. The creeks are part of the terraforming maintenance system, which is part and parcel of the city's life support system. Despite some
worries it's not *really* part of the central water reclamation system, though it's tied in. The whole point of the creeks is to create at least a
theoretically self-sustaining water cycle inside the dome that allows the wildlife to thrive without constant attention. As of 2014 Kandor City's
terraforming is still mostly in the sagebrush-and-jackrabbits stage, but so far so good. Current plans for the rest involve subsequent local terraforming to
make arable land and induce a permanent 1G area for cattle. The Mars and Venus Terraforming Projects are watching carefully.

The main green segment is in the Northeast Main sector, and only really reachable from Sherwood Station. It is here that a one square kilometre section has
been planted with 'waved fast growing trees as an experiment. This has since been nicknamed by the students of the high school as 'The Forbidden
Forest', given that the authorities have restricted the area due to slight mutations of the plants. Well that and the rumours of a vicious biomodded white
rabbit that lives in a cave in said forest. (Said rabbit being a really nice sort, actually. He just can't stand Monty Python and the Holy Grail jokes. And
if you ask politely, he'll invite you to tea with his habadasher friend...)

Hm. Quick rephrase:

Quote:Near the Luna North Pole is Moonbase Alpha. A more hardtech approach to a city, Moonbase Alpha is more an industrial centre than a place to live. It's also near completely self-sufficient and operates an underground hazardous materials storage site on the Luna dark-side.

Also on the dark side of Luna are the Mare Marginis Construction Sites where the Venus Crystal Cities were constructed and the Senshi's main shipbuilding site exists.

To:

Near Luna's north pole is Moonbase Alpha. Alpha is a more hardtech approach to a city, consisting of connected housing modules buried under the regolith. The city is considered more of an industrial centre than a place to live in, despite being almost completely self-sufficient.

On the Lunar far side are the Senshi shipyards at Mare Marginis, where the Venusian Crystal Cities were constructed and the Senshi continue to build ships. Southwest of Marginis in Gagarin Crater the VVS maintains their primary construction facility and active military base. To the north in (appropriately enough) Landau Crater is the Lunar Hazardous Waste Repository #1, an underground storage facility managed by Moonbase Alpha.

Also, a statbox for the wiki:

[box 300px right round blue]{{moon}}
^ Luna ^^
^ Orbit | 384,400 km from parent (mean) |
^ Diameter | 3474.8 km |
^ Surface Gravity | 0.17 G |
^ Year | 27.32 days |
^ Day | 29.53 days |
^ Mean temp. | 380°K day, 120°K night (107°C day, -153°C night) |
^ Atmosphere | none |
^ Water/Ice Index | 0% |
^ Population (2013) | 535,000 |
^ Political Affiliation | [[gazetteer:government:conventions|Fenspace Convention] |
^ Government | Direct Democracy |
^ Capital | Kandor City |
[/box]

Hokay, going through the Kandor entry on a general wiki-formatting spree & this bit caught my eye:

Quote:The current residential district takes up the Southeast Rim section. This area is filled with multi-storey mansions owned by various factions and high-rise apartment buildings. What most people don't realise is that Kandor builds underground, allowing an awful lot of space that normally wouldn't be available. Towards the Southeast-East border is Gil Kane Memorial High School (which actually covers everything between primary and university), and towards the Rim-Main Southeast-East corner is the Home for Wayward Catgirls.

Leaving aside the designs for the residential district, I think we should Bellisario's Maxim out references to primary-through-secondary educational facilities, unless we're planning on actually planning Kandor down to the dirt. Why? Well, because the city's stated population is 350,000, which gives it rough parity population-wise with Wichita, Kansas, a city that has 10 public high schools, 20 public middle schools & 62 (!) public elementary schools. Atsa lotta schools, and that's not counting *private* education.

Cities are big, even the little ones.

Make it the first public High School in Fenspace? That way it still gets a mention while not limiting things.

As to population, I've always been uncertain about that. As it stands, Kandor City has a higher population than ALL OF MARS. This can be changed of course.
Given the Moon's closeness I did think it had the most people, but it does leave me wondering about how many people actually live in Fenspace. A
semi-random hat-pull based on what I remember about what we've already done gives me about 2 million Fenspace residents. Do we want to stick a quarter of
that in Earth-Luna?

Edit: Fifth, fourth, quarter. Argh! Corrected.

Sounds fair to me. Then again, I live in a country where the vast majority of the population lives within an hour's drive of the U.S. border...

Edit: On the flip side, we've already established Port Phobos as the busiest port in Fenspace - that may be a bit difficult to justify if there isn't a large Martian population, even considering the terraformng work going on there.

--
Rob Kelk

Well, I have no objections to adding another quarter-million or so people to the Martian population count. So our overall population would be something like
1.5-2 million, with ~500,000 at Mars, ~500,000 at Luna & the rest scattered across the system?

Y'know, going back over the Convention thread it's funny to look and see what some of my initial impressions were like. In the Convention opener, I had
the *total* population of Fenspace at just around 250,000. How times have changed...

The other option is to trim down Kandor to somthing like 200,000, with another 150K scattered around Luna.

One thing I've just noticed is the sheer numbers that will turn up to a convention. If we take half the Neutrals, about 4000 representatives from the
Factions and about 80-90K for everybody else, for a population of 2 Million a convention center has to hold about 500,000 extra people regardless of it's
existing population. (You sure you want to hold a Convention now Rob?) SOS-Con was probably worse.

Simply because the sheer SIZE of a Convention bugged me, I thought about popluation densities and such around fenspace and came up with some numbers. Then I
thought about Kandor and took 100K off the population.

As such, the numbers are:

Mercury - 5,000

Venus - 20,000

* Crystal Tokyo - 5,000

Cis-Luna Space - 435,000 (this includes all the stations hanging around)

* Kandor City - 250,000

Mars - 250,000

Phobos - 55,000

The Main Belt - 120,000

Jupiter - 80,000

Saturn - 10,000

TNO - 10,000

Out-system - 500

Total: 985,500

Comments?

I think Saturn and outward is overpopulated - we've established that Jupiter's pretty much the end of the line as far as civilization goes. So shift
that 20,000 or so back to the inner system & that ought to work.

So something like this?

Mercury - 5,000

Venus - 23,000

* Crystal Tokyo - 5,000

Cis-Luna Space - 435,000 (this includes all the stations hanging around)

* Kandor City - 250,000

Mars - 250,000

Phobos - 55,000

The Main Belt - 140,000

Jupiter - 75,000

Saturn - 1,500 (mostly Mimas)

TNO - 500 (Hades + mining operations)

Out-system - 500 (Starbase 2 + Bughunters)

Total: 985,500

Good old CT needs some expansion. Given at least one of the Crystal Cities has held a Convention, I think we can get away with it.

Anyway, I've updated my copy of the Luna and Kandor write-ups. Anything else anyone wants to add?

Quote:(You sure you want to hold a Convention now Rob?)
Don't forget that Stellvia's going to be a lot bigger in 2015 than it was in 2012 *, and that a lot of people attend Conventions by telepresence...

But, yeah, Noah's going to have to borrow bunkspace from New Yavin and the other L5 stations.

(* Must remember to post the "Stellvia as of 2014" image that Mal came up with a while back to the Wiki...)

--
Rob Kelk

'Cause the Con numbers were still bugging me, I though about that. However, if we're going the teleconferencing route (which given the secure
transmision capability Fenspace has seems likely) I can knock off at least half the total I came up with.

FYI:

Representatives (About 10 per faction, 40 or so factions) - 4,000+

BNFs (Not already covered) - 2,000

Business people (All) - 10,000

Big projects (MTP, VTP, OGJ, etc...) - 2,000

Neutrals - 30,000

Party go-ers - 1,000

Others (transient) - 40,000

Total: 89,000

Definately more managable than the roughly 300K I WAS projecting...

Last call for Luna/Kandor info...

Write-ups for Luna and Kandor City are now in the Wiki.