[/td]

[/td]

[/td]

[/td]

[/td]

[/td]

[/td]
[/td][/td][/td][/td][/td] [/table]

(Praise be to OpenOffice and it's XHTML export function!)

Notes: The "Other" category is for single examples of ranks from other factions (ones that would logically use them, at any rate) that don't fall
into the standard (and dare I say, *boring*) ranking conventions as used by mundane militaries. Any and all suggestions, critiques, etc. welcome.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

Quote: Cobalt Greywalker wrote:

Thanks for that Rob. Now you've got me worrying where the Senshi have stuck A.C. on that list.

Outside the list. As "Lady Mars," A.C. qualifies as Senshi nobility, which is an entirely different animal and not really germane to the Sammie rank
structure. Unless of course A.C. decides to leverage her noble status, in which case she could probably end up running the whole bloody Militia.

Quote:Outside the list. As "Lady Mars," A.C. qualifies as Senshi nobility, which is an entirely different animal and not really germane to the Sammie rankstructure. Unless of course A.C. decides to leverage her noble status, in which case she could probably end up running the whole bloody Militia.

Which A.C. will only do if something drastic happens (say, Haruhi looking like she's about to gain authority over the Senshi, or some similar Fenspace-wide threat). She'll return authority back to the elected Senshi Authority once the threat is over of course (she's a) far to busy to run the milita or the government (which someone WILL try), b) is damn scared of having that much power (despite having authority in both the Supers and Cybers), and c) does not believe is manipulating the beliefs of others and is trying to convince the Senshi she's not "Lady Mars" (this is of course based on Makoto Kino not acknowledging A.C. as a sister Senshi, which given her luck is 50/50 at the point she meets her)).

After some research (and some cribbing from http://www.erblist.com/abg/]A Barsoom Glossary), I've come up with a set of Barsoomian Pulper Fen ranks. (Yes, they had air navies on Barsoom in the original novels...)

OF-10: Warlord
OF-09: Jedwar
OF-08: Odwar
OF-07: Umak
OF-06: Dar
OF-05: Utan
OF-04: Dwar
OF-03: Teedwar
OF-02: Padwar
OF-01: Than
OF-D: Panthan

In the stories, a panthan was a mercenary, a than was an ordinary soldier, and the Warlord of Mars was the only Jedwar. The Barsoomian Fen needed a couple of extra ranks to fill out the structure, and as a result, now have no titles for enlisted personnel.

--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Third pass on OGJ. Nothing too major in terms of change, some sketchy notes added regarding facilities & awards. The rank chart's been pulled until it settles down some so I don't have to rewikify the csv file each time somebody suggests something.

--Col. S. M. Fnord, PCRF, DFC (hon.), SS

====== Operation Great Justice ======
**Operation Great Justice (OGJ)** is the formal name of Fenspace's interfactional military forces. OGJ was formed at the conclusion of SOS-Con in May 2012 to fight the increasing [[gazetteer:factions:boskonians|Boskonian] pirate incursions.

OGJ is a multifactional force composed of elements of the [[gazetteer:factions:United Federation of Planets] Starfleet, the [[gazetteer:factions:Galactic Republic] Navy, the [[gazetteer:factions:Crystal Millennium] Senshi Armed Milita, and numerous single contributions from the smaller factions and the unaligned fen. OGJ's forces comprise the only active handwavium-based military force in the solar system.

Operation Great Justice is commanded by the [[gazetteer:factions:SOS-dan], along with a council of representatives from the major factions. OGJ as an entity is authorized by the [[Conventions].

===== Mission =====
According to the SOS-Con Accord which created OGJ:

//Operation Great Justice shall be organized, trained and equipped to defend the united nations and habitats of the greater Solar System and all traffic between them from aggressive acts that imperil the security of the Solar System.//

Initially this mission included interfactional law-enforcement duties; these powers were split off into the [[Space Patrol] at SerenityCon in 2013 in order to maintain OGJ's focus on eliminating the centralized Boskone threat.

===== History =====
Operation Great Justice first came into existence when the [[gazetteer:factions:SOS-dan] called a convention in May 2012 under the Emergency clauses of the [[gazetteer:government:Articles of Convention]. As it progressed however, the multi-factional nature of the organisation started to cause small problems. These were gradually exacerbated by the command style of the SOS-dan, particularly their leader [[chars:Haruhi Suzumiya].

While the operational side of OGJ continued with some difficulties, the administrative side became more complex and irregular as internal arguments disrupted effectiveness until May 2013 where the ongoing differences of opinion caused [[chars:Noah Scott] to be removed from the general staff. This caused the arguments to become public as Operation Great Justice Supreme Command was evicted from //[[ships:Stellvia]// and moved to //[[ships:Grover's Corners]//.

Discussions surrounding how Operation Great Justice was being prosecuted continued until SerenityCon, when the attack there caused a reorganisation of the command structure due to the influx of resources.

The SOS-dan, while retaining nominal overall command of Operation Great Justice, were moved to the strategic and intelligence analysis command structure where their demonstrated talents could be best used, while operational and administrative command passed to elements of the other factions. The foundation of the [[Space Patrol] helped simplify things, as the previously existing interfactional law enforcement duties were taken up by that organisation.

This leaner, more efficient organisation proved to be far more effective in its first major operation (Fleet Operation Attila) against the staging base for the Serenity-Con attack, Boskone One.

Following the end of The Boskone War, Operation Great Justice has become less obvious as assets seconded for the war effort were released back to their respective factions. All the factions currently rotate some assets through on two year tours of duty, whilst still engaging in co-operative manoeuvres.

===== Administrative organization =====
Operation Great Justice is run by the General Council, a body consisting of the SOS-dan, the senior military command staff and representatives of the member factions. The Council is responsible for OGJ policy and (when necessary) if military action needs to be taken. When decisions are made, action is agreed upon on the basis of unanimity and common accord; there is no voting or decision by majority. Each faction represented in the Council retains complete sovereignity and responsibility for its own decisions.

===== Operational organization =====
OGJ's military operations are directed by OGJ Supreme Command, a subset of the General Council composed of the senior military commanders. Supreme Command is commanded by the Supreme Allied Commander Fenspace (SACFEN, or just "Supreme Commander").

===== Facilities =====

(rough concept: OGJ HQ is a Stellvia-type space station name TBD in free solar orbit between Earth and Mars, on a similar but differently timed Hohmann transfer orbit than the Island. Liaison offices in Kandor, Crystal Tokyo, Port Lowell and Serenity Valley. Staging bases for exercises or military ops are put together on an ad-hoc basis.)

===== Culture =====

==== Uniforms ====
Operation Great Justice doesn't have a uniform //per se//; all of the faction forces have their own uniforms, and independent elements tend to emphasize their independence. Supreme Commander Suzumiya has been seen several times wearing a particular red uniform with epaulets (seen most often in OGJ recruiting posters) but this has not become the official OGJ uniform by any means.

==== Awards and badges ====

sketching out:
* Zig Medal: award for valor in combat above and beyond the call of duty.
* 1 or 2 others?

==== Grade Structure and Insignias ====

OGJ uses a modified version of the [[http://en.wikipedia.org/NATO|NATO] grade structure in order to keep the various faction militaries from stepping all over each other. In all cases OGJ forces continue to use their internal grade structures.

Supreme Command maintains a staff of specialized "war nerds," mil-sf fen who built websites like [[http://www.stardestroyer.net/|Stardestroyer.net] before the wave, as experts on untangling and organizing the unified grade structure.

=== Operation Great Justice Grade Scale ===
(the rank chart goes here: the current comparison table is still being worked on --Mal)

Independent Great Justice operatives - known collectively as "troubleshooters" - have nominal rankings of Grade 5 to Grade 8, depending on the nature of their operations. As an example, as a flag-level troubleshooter attached to OGJ Supreme Command, Noah Scott holds a nominal OF-8 rank for Great Justice field operations.

Troubleshooters don't wear OGJ insignia, but are issued a specialized warrant card with their bonafides and nominal rank attached.

==== Motto ====
Operation Great Justice has no official motto. The unofficial motto //"For Great Justice!"// (with the occasional addition of //"You know what you doing!"//) has been adopted by most forces seconded to OGJ at one point or another during their tour.

So... nobody has any more comments on this one? I ask 'cause it's not quite ready to go on the wiki, plenty of holes to fill with juicy content...

The only thing we really need to do right now is give the OGJ HQ station a name - everything else can be filled in later.

As for a name... hmmmmm... I can see Yuki or Kyon suggesting "Hyperion"...
--
Rob Kelk

[RF lots & lots of C] Operation Great Justice
[RF lots & lots of C] Operation Great Justice
Blame Rob for this, because I know I do. A very rough first pass, stealing the organizational structure of the article from Wikipedia's USAF article. More holes than filling at this point, so if you see something demanding your attention don't be shy about it.

**Operation Great Justice (OGJ)** is the formal name of Fenspace's interfactional military forces. OGJ was formed at the conclusion of SOS-Con on May xx, 2012 to fight the increasing [[gazetteer:factions:boskonians|Boskonian] pirate incursions.

OGJ is a multifactional force composed of elements of the [[gazetteer:factions:United Federation of Planets] Starfleet, the [[gazetteer:factions:Galactic Republic] Navy, the [[gazetteer:factions:Crystal Millennium] Senshi Armed Milita, and numerous single contributions from the smaller factions and the unaligned fen. OGJ's forces comprise the only active handwavium-based military force in the solar system.

Operation Great Justice is commanded by the [[gazetteer:factions:SOS-dan], along with a council of representatives from the major factions. OGJ as an entity is authorized by the [[Conventions].

===== Mission =====

//Operation Great Justice shall be organized, trained and equipped to defend the united nations and habitats of the greater Solar System and all traffic between them from aggressive acts that imperil the security of the Solar System.//

Initially this mission included interfactional law-enforcement duties; these powers were split off into the [[Space Patrol] at SerenityCon in 2013 in order to maintain OGJ's focus on eliminating the centralized Boskone threat.

===== History =====

===== Culture =====

==== Uniforms ====

==== Motto ====

Quote:Blame Rob for this, because I know I do.
What, didn't you like the recruiting poster?

Suggested motto: "For Great Justice!"

--
Rob Kelk

You went & stubbed the damn article, which got me *thinking* about trying to figure this out. Tongue

Something to argue over.

===== History =====

Operation Great Justice first came into existence when the [[gazetteer:factions:SOS-dan] called a convention in May 2012 under the Emergency clauses of the Conventional Framework. As it progressed however, the multi-factional nature of the organisation started to cause small problems. These were gradually exacerbated by the command style of the SOS-dan, particularly their leader [[chars:Haruhi Suzumiya].

While the operational side of Operation Great Justice continued with some difficulties, the administrative side became more complex and irregular as internal arguments disrupted effectiveness until May 2013 where the ongoing differences of opinion caused [[chars:Noah Scott] to be removed from the general staff. This caused the arguments to become public as Operation Great Justice command was evicted from [[ships:Stellvia] and moved to [[ships:grover_s_corners|Grover's Corners].

Discussions surrounding how Operation Great Justice was being prosecuted continued until Serenity-Con, were the attack there caused a reorganisation of the command structure due to the influx of resources.

The SOS-dan, while retaining nominal overall command of Operation Great Justice, were moved to the strategic and intelligence analysis command structure where their demonstrated talents could be best used, while operational and administrative command passed to elements of the other factions. The foundation of the [[Space Patrol] helped simplify things, as the previously existing interfactional law enforcement duties were taken up by that organisation.

This leaner, more efficient organisation proved to be far more effective in its first major operation (Fleet Operation Attila) against the staging base for the Serenity-Con attack, Boskone One (a.k.a The Farm).

Following the end of The Boskone War, Operation Great Justice has become less obvious as assets seconded for the war effort were released back to their respective factions. All the factions currently rotate some assets through on two year tours of duty, whilst still engaging in co-operative manoeuvres.

===== Administrative Organisation =====

Operation Great Justice overall is run by The General Council, a body consisting of the SOS-dan, the senior Military Command staff, and the Factional Representatives. Under them are the following groups:

* The Office of Fleet Operations: This office manages the activities and disposition of mobile OGJ resources.
* The Office of Strategic Preparations: The main home of the SOS-dan since Serenity-Con, this office manages fleet operations and intelligence gathering activities.
* The Office of Naval Resources: This office manages the logistics and support structures of OGJ, including fixed bases.
* The Office of Factional Co-Operation: This office works in basically the same manner as Section 1b of the [[Space Patrol], only it deals with the various military forces of the Factions.

===== Operation Organisation =====

OGJ operationally is run in the following divisions. These are:

* Operation Great Justice Space Fleet: Those ships and bases under direct Operation Great Justice command.
* The Star Patrol: Those independent fen serving under Operation Great Justice authority.
* Mobile Assault Forces: These are the Marines of the OGJ Fleet.
* Fleet Intelligence: The dedicated Intelligence organ of Operation Great Justice

And that's were the inspiration stopped.

As to the rest, base the grade structure on the NATO system? We can do that to the Space Patrol as well so that Joint Operations don't get bogged down.

Quote:As to the rest, base the grade structure on the NATO system? We can do that to the Space Patrol as well so that Joint Operations don't get bogged down.

That's actually a pretty good idea, considering the SOS-Con agreements are sorta-kinda the Fenspace equivalent to the Atlantic Treaty.

*scampers off to plagarize the hell out of Wikipedia's NATO entry*

Quote:As to the rest, base the grade structure on the NATO system? We can do that to the Space Patrol as well so that Joint Operations don't get bogged down.
I envisioned the Space Patrol as more of an ICPO type organization, actually...

--
Rob Kelk

Now I just have to ask Peggy how long she thinks she could cope with sharing living space with Haruhi, and I can tell you how long the SOS-Dan last on the Corners.

Update: Peggy's reaction was "You...you...you... invited Haruhi Suzumiya to our ship?" I was then threatened with punishments to be applied after I got over the flu. It would appear that Peggy classifies Haruhi in the same category as large jungle cats and inbound asteroids -- something to be enjoyed from a distance or on TV, but not in one's living space.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Quote: robkelk wrote:

Quote:

As to the rest, base the grade structure on the NATO system? We can do that to the Space Patrol as well so that Joint Operations don't get bogged down.

I envisioned the Space Patrol as more of an ICPO type organization, actually...

The NATO grade structure basically deals with comparitive rankings for the multiple militaries in NATO, such that joint operations don't get confused with
who has seniority. In Fenspace this meens that KJ as Colonel in charge of the VSS X-COM section has the same level of rank as a Starfleet Rear Admiral.

As to the Space Patrol being ICPO like, wouldn't that weaken them a bit? After all, Interpol is mostly a information exchange system.

Quote: Bob Schroeck wrote:

Now I just have to ask Peggy how long she thinks she could cope with sharing living space with Haruhi, and I can tell you how long the SOS-Dan last on the

Corners.

Update: Peggy's reaction was "You...you...you... invited Haruhi Suzumiya to our ship?" I was then threatened with punishments

to be applied after I got over the flu. It would appear that Peggy classifies Haruhi in the same category as large jungle cats and inbound asteroids --

something to be enjoyed from a distance or on TV, but not in one's living space.

At least on the Corners you can stick her far away from everybody. And you can take the precaution of making sure that she knows its your ship (whomever is in
charge that hour) and that she'll be evicted if she interfears in its operation. It's not like you come round to her place and tell her to take her
feet of the coffee table and to clean up the mess in the bathroom.

Quote:As to the Space Patrol being ICPO like, wouldn't that weaken them a bit? After all, Interpol is mostly a information exchange system.
I've been lead to believe that it's also becoming the de facto pan-European police force...

But that's a discussion for another thread.

--
Rob Kelk

Hokay, second pass incorporating some of Cobalt's stuff & a few things from my own research. Comment at will.

**Operation Great Justice (OGJ)** is the formal name of Fenspace's interfactional military forces. OGJ was formed at the conclusion of SOS-Con on May xx, 2012 to fight the increasing [[gazetteer:factions:boskonians|Boskonian] pirate incursions.

===== Mission =====

===== History =====
Operation Great Justice first came into existence when the [[gazetteer:factions:SOS-dan] called a convention in May 2012 under the Emergency clauses of the [[gazetteer:government:Articles of Convention]. As it progressed however, the multi-factional nature of the organisation started to cause small problems. These were gradually exacerbated by the command style of the SOS-dan, particularly their leader [[chars:Haruhi Suzumiya].

While the operational side of OGJ continued with some difficulties, the administrative side became more complex and irregular as internal arguments disrupted effectiveness until May 2013 where the ongoing differences of opinion caused [[chars:Noah Scott] to be removed from the general staff. This caused the arguments to become public as Operation Great Justice Supreme Command was evicted from //[[ships:Stellvia]// and moved to //[[ships:Grover's Corners]//.

Discussions surrounding how Operation Great Justice was being prosecuted continued until SerenityCon, when the attack there caused a reorganisation of the command structure due to the influx of resources.

This leaner, more efficient organisation proved to be far more effective in its first major operation (Fleet Operation Attila) against the staging base for the Serenity-Con attack, Boskone One.

Operation Great Justice is run by the General Council, a body consisting of the SOS-dan, the senior military command staff and representatives of the member factions. The Council is responsible for OGJ policy and (when necessary) if military action needs to be taken. When decisions are made, action is agreed upon on the basis of unanimity and common accord; there is no voting or decision by majority. Each faction represented in the Council retains complete sovereignity and responsibility for its own decisions.

OGJ's military operations are directed by OGJ Supreme Command, a subset of the General Council composed of the senior military commanders. Supreme Command is commanded by the Supreme Allied Commander Fenspace (SACFEN, or just "Supreme Commander").

===== Culture =====

==== Uniforms ====
Operation Great Justice doesn't have a uniform //per se//; all of the faction forces have their own uniforms, and independent elements tend to emphasize their independence. Supreme Commander Suzumiya has been seen several times wearing a particular red uniform with epaulets (seen most often in OGJ recruiting posters) but this has not become the official OGJ uniform by any means.

OGJ uses a modified version of the [[http://en.wikipedia.org/NATO|NATO] grade structure in order to keep the various faction militaries from stepping all over each other. OGJ forces in this case would continue to use their internal rank insignia.

For example, using the two major "military" rank scales:

^ Operation Great Justice Grade Scale ^^^
^ Rank ^ Federation Starfleet ^ Republic Navy ^
^ OF-10 | Fleet Admiral | Grand Admiral |
^ OF-09 | Admiral | Admiral |
^ OF-08 | Vice Admiral | |
^ OF-07 | Rear Admiral | |
^ OF-06 | Captain | Commander |
^ OF-05 | Commander | |
^ OF-04 | Lt. Commander | |
^ OF-03 | Lieutenant | Lieutenant |
^ OF-02 | Lt. j.g. | |
^ OF-01 | Ensign | |
^ OF(D) | Midshipman | Midshipman |

Independent Great Justice operatives - known collectively as "troubleshooters" - have nominal rankings of Grade 5 to Grade 8, depending on the nature of their operations. As an example, Noah Scott holds an OGJ rank of OF-08 due to his connections to the high command.

Troubleshooters don't wear OGJ insignia, but are issued a specialized warrant card with their bonafides and nomina rank attached.

==== Motto ====

Quote:OGJ was formed at the conclusion of SOS-Con on May xx, 2012
Until we nail down the Convention Thread a little more tightly, we may as well just say "OGJ was formed at the conclusion of SOS-Con in May 2012"

Quote:Independent Great Justice operatives - known collectively as "troubleshooters" - have nominal rankings of Grade 5 to Grade 8, depending on the nature of their operations. As an example, Noah Scott holds an OGJ rank of OF-08 due to his connections to the high command.
Has anybody told Noah this? If they have, how long was his temper tantrum (in hours) on hearing the news? 8)

(Just making a joke - feel free to leave the line in...)

We might want to include a "Facilities" section in the entry, mentioning where OGJ HQ can be found (ISTR there's still a few large asteroids available), and whether they have any notable offices elsewhere (Kandor City, probably; other places, possibly).

--
Rob Kelk

Okay, so on further reflection I've gone quite mad & decided to add some more of the OGJ component forces to the rank chart. Which leads me to a
question: anybody have a clue (or want to play with) an OF(D) to OF-10 rank structure for the Senshi militia? 'Cause that one's gonna give me hives.

Quote:Which leads me to a question: anybody have a clue (or want to play with) an OF(D) to OF-10 rank structure for the Senshi militia? 'Cause that one's gonna give me hives.
Here's something to play with... (I only had to come up with one original name, for OF-02)

OF-10: Eternal Senshi
OF-09: Crystal Senshi
OF-08: Starlight Senshi
OF-07: Crisis Senshi
OF-06: Super Senshi
OF-05: Cosmic Senshi
OF-04: Star Senshi
OF-03: Planet Senshi
OF-02: Moon Senshi
OF-01: Senshi
OF-D: Trainee Senshi (a.k.a. "Pink Fungus" in impolite company)

Edit: For males, replace "Senshi" with "Knight"

Oh, yes... Be glad I'm not doing another recruiting poster. Because if I was, http://www.hlj.com/images/wav/wavnf-51_3.jpg]this would be the image on it. (Yes, http://www.hlj.com/product/WAVNF-51]the figure is still available.)

--
Rob Kelk

Thanks for that Rob. Now you've got me worrying where the Senshi have stuck A.C. on that list.

Also, doesn't that mean Makoto Kino outranks Noah with regards to OGJ?

So, for example: Captain Joseph Corcoran, an Auxiliary to the Senshi Militia, would conceivably be listed as Super Senshi *and* Super Knight Josie "Sailor
Pinafore" Corcoran for embarassing Senshi ceremonies.

OR potentially, Captain Corcoran, hon. SuS/K, S.A.M., Purple Heart with two clusters, Yavin 4 Medallion, OGJ Zig Award.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Quote:Also, doesn't that mean Makoto Kino outranks Noah with regards to OGJ?
Yep. Don't tell her that, okay? 8)

Edit: Oh, yes - Yayoi officially ranks OF-03 as a Sammie reservist. Officially, she's "Planet Senshi Fujisawa"; unofficially, highly informally, and not to her face after the first time somebody used it, she's "Sailor Stellvia" (which irks Leda, whose Venus Terraforming Project work makes her OF-04 but a staff officer instead of in the line).

Quote:OGJ Zig Award
Cute... I assume that's for multiple "kills" in space combat?

--
Rob Kelk

Summat like that. I was making up decorations, really.

I figure the silhouette on the SAMMIE Purple Heart is Sailor Moon. Due to circumstances later in the Boskone War, I figure that the United States Government
recognizes the Sammie Purple Heart as an equivalent award to its own, which is where Cap'n Corcoran got his clusters. He could presumably wear the US
Version with a SAMMIE cluster since his ship IS still "flagged" as American, as long as he's wearing "formal dress".

My presumption is that the Senshi version is designed to fit most magical girl outfits as a "bow bauble" or Stickpin.

Lessee... Say the "Move Zig" award is like a Congressional Medal of Honor or the Victoria Cross. For conduct above and beyond the call of duty. As
the Pinafore is most likely a M*A*S*H due to the AI Blossom. Again I REALLY need to take time and at least Vignette some of this out...
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Okay, just to recap here's the current rank list as it stands:

[table]

Operation Great Justice Grade Scale
Officer Ranks
Rank
Federation Starfleet
Republic Navy
Senshi Militia
Other
OF-10
Fleet Admiral
Grand Admiral
Eternal Senshi
Warlord (Martian Defence Forces)\ Entil'zha (ISA)
OF-09
Admiral
Admiral
Crystal Senshi
OF-08
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Starlight Senshi
OF-07
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral\ Commodore
Crisis Senshi