Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fond memories
fond memories
Recently, I was reminded of an old canadian TV show that I used to enjoy called 'Prisoners of Gravity'. It was a half hour program that "explored
speculative fiction -science fiction, fantasy, horror, comic books - and its relation to various thematic and social issues."

here's the wikipedia page for a better description. [Image: tongue.gif]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prisoners_of_Gravity

Youtube actually has 3 or 4 eps posted (broken into thirds), here's part 1 of an episode talking about Fans (seemed appropriate [Image: happy.gif])

The intro sequence (which starts around the 1:15 mark) also fits Fenspace as it involves the host flying his car into space.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybDavTjKW6Y

I can think of two comments:

1) The car in the intro is pretty much the epitome of a fenship, though most fenships would probably hang onto the booster rocket.

2) One of the convention flyers in the beginning montage was in fact a con I attended, and remember vividly because it was a con where the concom came
-->
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

On a related note, "Top Gear" did an episode last year (or I saw it last year; it might have been aired earlier) where they tried to make a space
shuttle out of one of those three-wheeled British cars (like the one Mr. Bean drove). I didn't see the end of the episode, but the buildup was very funny
(the fabricators were all gobsmacked by the concept). Given the near-future timeline of Fenspace, I can see the "Top Gear" trio doing a "Which
car is the best for making a flying car?" episode during the Diaspora.

"...While James and I have been doing extensive research in choosing a car based on aerodynamics and fuel efficiency, Richard has gotten back to his geek
roots and chosen a Ford Prefect. Given the strange reaction of handwavium, this may have, in fact, been the best way to begin...."
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Quote:"...While James and I have been doing extensive research in choosing a car based on aerodynamics and fuel efficiency, Richard has gotten back to his geek roots and chosen a Ford Prefect. Given the strange reaction of handwavium, this may have, in fact, been the best way to begin...."
You realize, of course, that that car won't fly unless there's a towel in the boot. it will, however, translate any language received on its radio to its pilot's native language, as long as there's a fish stuck in the receiver. And the controls are all labelled in large friendly letters.

Okay, we've pretty much written this car up, haven't we? Too bad I've never seen an episode of Top Gear, so I have no idea what the driver's like...

What? Oh, sorry...

Yeah, I remember watching Prisoners of Gravity when it was on the province's educational channel, TVOntario. A bit dry, but the people involved knew what they were talking about.

--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

The guy who's the host of the PoG FAndom bit is one of the Frantics. (of boot to the head fame)
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

...which explains why YouTube offered me a "Mr. Canoehead" video in the sidebar when I watched that this morning.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Quote: Bob Schroeck wrote:

...which explains why YouTube offered me a "Mr. Canoehead" video in the sidebar when I watched that this morning.

Talk about your inconvenient biomods...

---------------

Epsilon

Actually Rick Green hosted the entire 5 season series. It was a conversation about The Frantics that reminded me of the show.[Image: happy.gif]

And (since the side links don't list them , oddly enough) here's parts 2 and 3 of the Fan episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNWcq7xijxU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be52s77Cjb8 (working again)

Oh, and I think I recall seeing the Top Gear ep Ebony mentioned (or rather, an editted version) on Youtube

Quote: robkelk wrote:

Quote: "...While James and I have been doing extensive research in choosing a car based on aerodynamics and fuel efficiency, Richard has gotten back to his
geek roots and chosen a Ford Prefect. Given the strange reaction of handwavium, this may have, in fact, been the best way to begin...."

You realize, of course, that that car won't fly unless there's a towel in the boot. it will, however, translate any language received on its radio to
its pilot's native language, as long as there's a fish stuck in the receiver. And the controls are all labelled in large friendly letters.

Okay, we've pretty much written this car up, haven't we? Too bad I've never seen an episode of Top Gear, so I have no idea what the
driver's like...

I recommend it. It's just gearhead enough to be technical, but it's funny enough to entertain the non- or semi-gearheads. They do things like build
their own stretch cars and race to see who gets their celebrity to the award show first. And then there is The Stig, their test driver, who does some pretty
amazing stuff with sports cars. There's clips on YouTube, if you're curious.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."