Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some recent thoughts ...
Some recent thoughts ...
about my Babylon .5 station (and if my muse dosen't wander off again, maybe I'll get some actually writing in too).

I've decided that the station will be partially self sufficient foodwise, at the 'top' of the station will be an agriculture deck(s?) growing
various vegetables, some young fruit trees and one of The Jason's Blood Orange trees for the medical facility's use.

At the 'bottom' of the station will be a aquacultural deck, raising rice, various waterloving plants and a freshwater fish farm.

B.5 will also raise chickens and rabbits

One of the station's researchers made an ill-concieved attempt to raise hogs, but that experiment ended when the test subject, 'Porky', developed
the ability to stand on his hind legs and talk with a stutter. Just because pigs can eat a wide variety of organic materials doesn't mean you don't
need to screen the stuff for Wavium first.

Eventually, I'm planning on the development of chibi-starfuries for station defence. Low grade drone AIs in starfury shape (but at about 1/4 scale). I
was thinking that one of their quirks would be that they are territorial, meaning they don't like travelling more than say, 5mi from the station. If in
hot pursuit or intercepting a definate threat, they're willing to go out to about 15mi before breaking off.

oh, and because of how they flew in canon, the chibi-starfuries will be accelleration drives, though the Wavium helps reduce fuel requirements.

Quote:and one of The Jason's Blood Orange trees for the medical facility's use.
You probably want more than one, just in case there's a medical emergency. Heck, Stellvia has two, and that station doesn't even have a doctor, just a RN/EMT.
Quote:One of the station's researchers made an ill-concieved attempt to raise hogs, but that experiment ended when the test subject, 'Porky', developed the ability to stand on his hind legs and talk with a stutter. Just because pigs can eat a wide variety of organic materials doesn't mean you don't need to screen the stuff for Wavium first.
Important safety tip, folks...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Quote: robkelk wrote:

Quote: Timote wrote:

One of the station's researchers made an ill-concieved attempt to raise hogs, but that experiment ended when the test subject, 'Porky',
developed the ability to stand on his hind legs and talk with a stutter. Just because pigs can eat a wide variety of organic materials doesn't mean you
don't need to screen the stuff for Wavium first.
Important safety tip, folks...
*barks a laugh* Indeed! [Image: happy.gif]

Think we oughta setup a Gezetter sub-page for the most famous accidental biomods? Or how about wavium-food contamination incidents that result in lots of
biomods?

Quote:Think we oughta setup a Gezetter sub-page for the most famous accidental biomods?
I'd rather they get written up as characters, myself. There's a spot on the Characters page for "First of the biomods" - so far, only one has a writeup...
Quote:Or how about wavium-food contamination incidents that result in lots of biomods?
Sounds like a story idea... or a subpage off the http://fnord.sandwich.net/fenwiki/doku. ... viumConfusedtart]Handwavium page.
--
Rob Kelk

sudden thought that I don't want to forget:

Sam's place, a restaurant on B.5, is run by a short, red haired Texan who has deliberately grown a handlebar mustache and imitates Yosimite Sam's
speech patterns. Most of food is BBQ style, but one of the house specials is Hausennpepper(sp?).

maybe have Porky work there?

Hassenpfeffer.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

OK, so add at least one more Blood Orange tree. And obviously you like Porky, any comments on the rest? Like the chibi-furies?

They won't be developed until the Boskone War is well under way, the crew of B.5 only developed (effective) working energy weapons about the time of SOS
con. But I'd like to know if I'm screwing up beforehand. 8P

I think a (possible) faction base should have a small grove of Blood Orange trees, but I like having more medical supplies than I actually need. (Comes from
being a first-aider at work.) But it's your station and you've already met me partway - don't let me dictate this to you...

Everything else looks good to me - you've put some definite limits on the weaponry (more so than I have on my characters' weapons), you've shown
how the station fits into Fenspace both socially and economically, and (most importantly) you're obviously having fun with the concept while letting
everyone else have fun too.
--
Rob Kelk

Waituh-minute... Viable and effective energy weapons? I thought that was something tricky at best? If this is kosher, and B.5 has the market more or less cornered, then you can expect sizable orders from The Roughriders. Not that coil-guns aren't great and all, but they have this problem with limited ammo. You're not always gonna have time to line-up a precise shot in a fast, short-range shoot-em-up. This especially holds true for point defense on the big boys like the Peacemaker Class.

Well, I had figured that they had been working on developing them for a while, but were having trouble keeping various components from shorting
out/melting/exploding and in focusing the beams to a useful intensity.

Range will probably be somewhat limited as well, compared to rail/coilguns at least (seeing as how they keep going until they hit something)

I don't think B.5 has the market cornered though, I seem to recall energy weapons appearing in some of the fics that have been posted.

Part of the reason the B.5 people have been working on it is cause the Starhawk (based out of B.5) has a pair of Mellenium Falcon style quad turrents, and they
were trying to make them more than ornimental