Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Agatha and the Jason...tinkering with new vehicles for fun.

See, the major stumbling block to energy weapons with hard tech, as I seem to recall, is power generation.

Most folks in Fenspace who try to work up weapons seem to go for a direct build of whatever project they're working on.

All it will take is one person getting demonstrable results from, say, Doctor Grey's approach to the catgirling machine with weapons production to turn the
"slapstick effect" squarely on its ear.

That is, using handwavium on the tools to build the weapons, not the weapons themselves. Say our genius creates a "fabber." The handwavium effect is
that he can use materials a current hardtech fabber cannot. He takes some time and effort to create a Shirow Homage "Seburo" machine gun that would
be problematic as hardtech just from a materials point of view. He "fabs" the parts with his handwaved device, and assembles the weapon by hand
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

That was basicly my plan for the energy weapons used by B.5. Use Wavium solids for power source and/or amplifiers while most of the components are hardtech.

Quote:"Nikola Tesla. You wanted someone familiar with electricity, yes?"
I think we've finally found a Mad who wouldn't want to work with Kohran, and vice versa. He prefers electricity, she prefers steam...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Quote: robkelk wrote:

Quote: "Nikola Tesla. You wanted someone familiar with electricity, yes?"
I think we've finally found a Mad who wouldn't want to work with Kohran, and vice versa. He prefers electricity, she prefers steam...
Just imagine what the heck they'd create if they did! 'Sides, it's not as if you can't get electrical power from steam. After
all, you gotta generate it somehow. Wink

Quote: Foxboy wrote:

See, the major stumbling block to energy weapons with hard tech, as I seem to recall, is power generation.

Most folks in Fenspace who try to work up weapons seem to go for a direct build of whatever project they're working on.

All it will take is one person getting demonstrable results from, say, Doctor Grey's approach to the catgirling machine with weapons production to turn
the "slapstick effect" squarely on its ear.

That is, using handwavium on the tools to build the weapons, not the weapons themselves. Say our genius creates a "fabber." The handwavium effect
is that he can use materials a current hardtech fabber cannot. He takes some time and effort to create a Shirow Homage "Seburo" machine gun that
would be problematic as hardtech just from a materials point of view. He "fabs" the parts with his handwaved device, and assembles the weapon by
hand
Ahhhhhhh. I see then. THAT makes it all the easier then. Since we already have several solid theories and facts to back-up concepts for energy
weapons, then that is definitely something that I can work with.

Quote:That is, using handwavium on the tools to build the weapons, not the weapons themselves.
Ah, I see that somebody else has noticed the loophole in Rule #1)b)iv).
Quote:Say our genius creates a "fabber." The handwavium effect is that he can use materials a current hardtech fabber cannot.
But where do those materials come from? Nobody's managed to handwave a nanotech fabber into existance, and I'm not aware of any larger-molecular-scale fabbers that can create the materials needed for many of the proposed energy weapons. (Not trying to shoot down the idea, just asking for clarification...)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Quote: robkelk wrote:

Quote: That is, using handwavium on the tools to build the weapons, not the weapons themselves.
Ah, I see that somebody else has noticed the loophole in Rule #1)b)iv).

Quote: Say our genius creates a "fabber." The handwavium effect is that he can use materials a current hardtech fabber cannot.
But where do those materials come from? Nobody's managed to handwave a nanotech fabber into existance, and I'm not aware of any
larger-molecular-scale fabbers that can create the materials needed for many of the proposed energy weapons. (Not trying to shoot down the idea, just asking
for clarification...)
I was thinking of the "handwave" of it being that it temporarily alters the material in question into something that can be
extruded/sterolithed. Admittedly this means that the base control computer before waving has to be fairly complex to keep track of every molecule as something
is being fabbed.

In fact, if a Boskonian is responsible for the weapons fabbing, that could be a secondary effect of the Crystal Cities raids/Dark Senshi plots. After all, the
Senshi have proven very adept at creating large scale "gemstones."
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
You guys are nuking this
You shouldn't really need a nanofac at all. Crystals can be grown 'naturally' as long as you can create the best environment to grow the particular
crystal you wanted. This is not just a possibility for handwavium - it's a can do. This sort of process far simplifies things and also makes it easy to
mass produce the raw materials needed at whatever size-scale is required.