Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Story][Draft]My New Friends
[Story][Draft]My New Friends
Why shouldn't we play god? I've never found a truly satisfactory answer, aside from that one becomes a monster when they do so.

Obviously, this has never stopped me in the past. But then, I'm Fen. I don't exactly follow the beat of the world, I try to think through everything I
do. I'm not, y'know, calculating about it. But odds are that I could come up with a reasonable argument for not doing things in the god sense that do
make people monsters.

So why was I wrestling several large buckets filled with liquid latex onto my apartment balcony?

Because, well, the desire to procreate is so strong that sometimes we go to extreme measures to do so.

Collected were the bits that I needed for what I was planning on doing. I'd thought it through, and had what I figured were the things to make the
handwavium I'd gotten hold of do what I wanted to.

First and foremost, a batch of 'wavium, specifically fed and bred with copies of Bubblegum Crisis 2040, along with some fanfiction of same (BGC: The Iron
Age being foremost among them), prints of pictures, and good condition copies of several prominent hacker manuals and publications.

Second, a human sized vacuum form mold, taken from a storefront mannequin that had about the right proportions. This I set up upside down and propped up
carefully.

Third, some various, well, you could call 'em 'organ analogues', various things like those fakey eyeballs they sell around Halloween, and a set of
the plastic organs you find in those torso models in school that you can disassemble and reassemble. Plus a few other bits I won't mention. Needless to
say, I didn't want to do a half ass job and expect the 'wavium to complete the package. All packed into a plastic anatomy skeleton, with a cheap yellow
Halloween wig glued to the skull.

Wired within, and crammed wherever there was space, was the core of my plan. A chunk of Solid Handwavium, made according to the instructions that were
percolating amongst the Fen, glued to the back of my old Mac clone's motherboard. The harddrive of same. A crude connector cable running to the USB addon
board, and that had two extension cables leading to the neck, where I hoped they would form a cybernetic interface.

I got everything in place, made sure the mold was tight and duct taped it closed. I deliberately overused the duct tape where I could; I didn't want to
leak down onto the balcony of the downstairs neighbor and 'wave their gas grill.

Then, I got my gloves and paintsuit on, and began the hard work. I uncapped the liquid latex I'd gathered, poured some of it into additional orange
HomeDepot buckets, and began to mix it with the special batch of 'wavium. The latex I'd chosen was supposed to be something like flesh color, but it
was more like desert sand. The 'wavium caused it to change color, and I knew I had to work fast. I made sure the image was set in my mind, mixing and
pouring the result into the mold. It took more than one would think to fill it, which likely meant that it was absorbing into the various bits I'd put in
there. I topped it off, set all the (now empty and somehow clean) buckets off to the side, and went to make sure I was washed up, and finish painting up that
R2 multimedia center I'd bought, and stuffing my Mac Mini into the center of it.

I finished lowering it gingerly into the bathtub, which I'd filled halfway with some of the generic 'wavium I'd grown, when I heard a crack from
the balcony area. I went out, and found that the mold had snapped the duct tape and come open, revealing a pair of shapely legs sticking up. I quickly
manhandled things into the apartment, closed the screen door, and unwrapped the result like a birthday present.

So far so good, she looked completely natural, or, at least, as natural as something made out of 'wavium and hard work could look. She was still limp, but
her skin had a healthy, if pale, glow to it, and the bright yellow wig had muted into hair like fine straw. I placed a hand on her cheek, and could tell that
she was warming up a bit.

Working quickly, I carried her into the bedroom, and dressed her in the underwear I'd bought, put her in my bed, and draped a set of clothes, shorts and
tshirt, on the dresser opposite the bed. I'll admit, I did linger before and after dressing her to admire the results, but I didn't do so for long,
since I had no idea when she's wake up.

Then, for some strange reason, I started cooking breakfast. 7:30 in the evening, and I'm scrambling eggs. Well, I was hungry, that much I knew, but even I
don't eat eggs that late normally. I'd also put on a full pot of coffee, again for reasons that I didn't quite know.

But then, I was in an odd head space, with what was brewing in the bathroom, and what else was waking up in the bedroom.

I slid the eggs onto a plate, and a shuffling noise came from the bedroom. I could hear a 'thump ow' from in there, and quickly set the plate out. A
few more noises later, and she walked into the living room, blinking sleep out of her eyes.

Her blond hair reached to just past her chin, covering her ear on one side, but pulled behind the other. Her eyes, that shade of green that I tend to stare
into, looked around with intelligence that was clouded by still being slightly sleepy. She'd found the clothes I'd left for her, the tshirt bearing the
pirate ship logo from Ren Faire 2005, the shorts blue denim and only slightly loose on her. All of it not hiding that her proportions, which resembled those of
Jessica Alba.

I quickly put the plate of eggs down on the table, set a fork on it, and started the toast. "How do you want your coffee?"

She mumbled 'black', and I poured it as she sat down and started eating. I put the mug next to her, and dropped the finished toast onto a small plate
next to that, with some butter nearby.

She wolfed it all down pretty quickly, then looked at me. "So… why me? Why not one of the other Sabers?"

I sat down. "Well… because I think you're the cuter one out of the brains… Priss has a little more attitude that I can tolerate… and Linna, at least in 2040, is… timid."

"Ah. OK. So," she drank the rest of the coffee, "what's the plan, then?"

"Well… I'm not planning on staying here, not for too much longer… but I knew I couldn't do my next project by myself." I grinned. Then
started as we both heard a very loud series of outraged electronic squawks from the bathroom.

"<HEY! WHY THE FUCK DID YOU PUT ME IN THE BATHTUB?>" I could hear our new droid trying to get some purchase to get out.

"Hold your servos, we're coming." Nene and I piled into the bathroom. The astromech had gotten much bigger, over a meter tall now, and the rough
paintwork I'd applied had become smooth, so 'he' was now properly red on the body and the trim of his dome, with white accent panels on the body.

My bathroom was pretty good sized for an apartment, but even then, it took some effort for us to get positioned and bodily get him out of the tub. Thankfully,
like the buckets, the 'wavium had evaporated/absorbed completely, leaving the tub clean and dry.

"There you go. Nene, meet Are Two Gee Zero, aka 'Geo'. Geo, meet Nene Romanova."

"<Yeah, yeah, charmed,>" Geo blatted out. "<When do we start work, chief?>"

"Just as soon as I get the loan, and the materials shipped to my friend's barn, Geo. In the meantime, I want you to figure out a construction
plan." I grinned, and I could tell that my new friends were finding it infectious. "After all, I don't think we want to be cramped in a car, and
the ship I have in mind for us is going to be almost perfect."
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

Always good to have an origin story - it helps set the tone of the characters. (I took far too long to write my origin story...)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

My Starbug 1 origin story, I was silly enough to post it in the Fiction subforum, where people haven't seemed to have noticed it...
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

The one thing I wonder about is how they just came to terms with their existence right off the bat with no confusion whatsoever and very little disorientation. For example, while I've never really stated so, Gina's last memories are those of Asuka just as the Production Series Evas start tearing her apart (hence her state of mind when she awakened). She was pretty damn confused and didn't know what to make of things, but she eventually adapted.
Also how the heck did they know about the upcoming projects already?
I'm not trying to shut you down here, just curious for an explanation. Handwavium can only go so far, after all. Of course, you could go the route I went with the Magnificent Midnight and say that it was the spirit of the plane that became manifested as an AI since she remembers her time before being waved. But the thing about that is that by that time Midnight was already pushing fifty years, if not more.

Quote:The one thing I wonder about is how they just came to terms with their existence right off the bat with no confusion whatsoever and very little disorientation. For example, while I've never really stated so, Gina's last memories are those of Asuka just as the Production Series Evas start tearing her apart (hence her state of mind when she awakened). She was pretty damn confused and didn't know what to make of things, but she eventually adapted.

Going through the AI character stable, the vast majority of AIs are aware enough to know that they aren't "really" the characters they're based on. This is one of those things where Gina is, if not unique, then at least a rarity. And for an AI, a couple hundred milliseconds can be a long enough time to have & then get over an existential crisis.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

Quote: blackaeronaut wrote:

The one thing I wonder about is how they just came to terms with their existence right off the bat with no confusion whatsoever and very little
disorientation. For example, while I've never really stated so, Gina's last memories are those of Asuka just as the Production Series Evas start
tearing her apart (hence her state of mind when she awakened). She was pretty damn confused and didn't know what to make of things, but she eventually
adapted.

Also how the heck did they know about the upcoming projects already?

I'm not trying to shut you down here, just curious for an explanation. Handwavium can only go so far, after all. Of course, you could go the route I went
with the Magnificent Midnight and say that it was the spirit of the plane that became manifested as an AI since she remembers her time before being
waved. But the thing about that is that by that time Midnight was already pushing fifty years, if not more.
Geo and Nene use my Macs as their 'cores' basically. Jeph basically loaded them up with files for what he had in mind before he started
'waving things. Certainly, Geo is a little more 'in the groove' with it than Nene is, but they both can adapt.
--

Quote: M Fnord wrote:

Quote: The one thing I wonder about is how they just came to terms with their existence right off the bat with no confusion whatsoever and very little
disorientation. For example, while I've never really stated so, Gina's last memories are those of Asuka just as the Production Series Evas start
tearing her apart (hence her state of mind when she awakened). She was pretty damn confused and didn't know what to make of things, but she eventually
adapted.
Going through the AI character stable, the vast majority of AIs are aware enough to know that they aren't "really" the characters
they're based on. This is one of those things where Gina is, if not unique, then at least a rarity. And for an AI, a couple hundred milliseconds can be a
long enough time to have & then get over an existential crisis.
Thanks, Fnord, that pretty much answers my questions. Now, forgive me while I shoot off on a tangent here...

Gina has pretty much been writing herself from the get-go in my head and I've been trying to figure her out much how a therapist puts someone on the couch
(as much as you can do with someone with Asuka's mindset, anyways).

As to why she's so unique... Well, I'm not sure myself. *Pokes at Gina mock-experimentally and nearly loses a finger in the process*

If I had to pick something off the top of my head, I'd just say that it was because when Benjamin truly works on a project, he does so with such a serious
case of Tunnel Vision that he rivals The Professor in that aspect. A piano could come crashing down behind his head and he wouldn't notice (well, maybe
not but you get the idea). Therefore, when he was working on his write-up concerning Asuka, the Handwavium took that into account and went completely
overboard, making her memories seem so real that when she manifested she was convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that she really was Asuka. Though some might
think that she was actually pulled from a transfictional universe, but we'll never know for sure.

This can be attributed to her feeling more 'human' than most other AI's do. She's certainly very emotional as AI's go, even with
Handwavium factored in. The only AIs I know of that are capable of expressing their emotions as much as she does (IMHO) are Noah's girls and The
Professor's, and they all have physical bodies.

From what I have seen in Fenspace so far, it is my humble opinion that an AI can reach a certain level of 'humanity' at which they simply must have a
physical body so they can really be like one of us - call it the Little Mermaid complex if you will. Others like Dee differ in some pretty obvious ways, of
course, and then there are others that are normal enough but think little of having a human form (not too many of these running around when you stop to think
about it).

Quote:Others like Dee differ in some pretty obvious ways, of course,
One good example being Gaia from the Grover's Corners, who is actually a gestalt intelligence formed from all the (accidentally) 'waved wildlife and trees in the ship.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Quote: Bob Schroeck wrote:

Quote: Others like Dee differ in some pretty obvious ways, of course,
One good example being Gaia from the Grover's Corners, who is actually a gestalt intelligence formed from all the (accidentally)
'waved wildlife and trees in the ship.
Daaaaaanng... In that respect, I guess you could say that she really is the living spirit of Gorover's Corners then!

Indeed she is, and as a result more than a bit parochial, as you can see the only time she ever appears on-screen in "Disturbing Implications..."
-- Bob
---------

After I got over the initial O_O reaction, my Snark Generator took over briefly.

"Well. I guess Macs really ARE more user friendly!"

Ahem.

Seriously, though, I kinda like it, though my twisted little brain is now wondering, if it's that easy to create a (forgive me) living sex doll, how many
of them exist?

I mean, 'wavium isn't just in use by Good, Kind, Noble Fen (assuming there is such a beast), but also by crazed nutjobs, the government, and other
despicable types.

And horny teenagers with a net connection, one assumes. (Proto-fen?)

Anyway!

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

Quote: Sofaspud wrote:

After I got over the initial O_O reaction, my Snark Generator took over briefly.

"Well. I guess Macs really ARE more user friendly!"

Ahem.

Seriously, though, I kinda like it, though my twisted little brain is now wondering, if it's that easy to create a (forgive me) living sex doll, how many
of them exist?

I mean, 'wavium isn't just in use by Good, Kind, Noble Fen (assuming there is such a beast), but also by crazed nutjobs, the government, and other
despicable types.

And horny teenagers with a net connection, one assumes. (Proto-fen?)

Anyway!
Well, I would kinda suspect it doesn't happen as often as one might think, just due to the 'needs a good mental image' aspect of
Handwavium, but I might be wrong.

Plus, it's not cheap. I'd have to say that Jeph spent several hundred dollars of his own money making Nene, and a couple
hundred making Geo. Liquid latex costs something like $11-15 a gallon. Even buying that in bulk, there was a very, very, very large amount used.
--

Then again, "o"-faced inflatables cost, what, $50 or $100 these days, less if you steal one from Dad's closet. Imagine a horny 14-year-old waving
one of those...
-- Bob
---------

Then again, "o"-faced inflatables cost, what, $50 or $100 these days, less if you steal one from Dad's closet. Imagine a horny 14-year-old
waving one of those...
.... OMG, the horror!

Really though, that has the potential for Adam Sandler style OMG-it's-so-funny-it-hurts humor.

Then again, "o"-faced inflatables cost, what, $50 or $100 these days, less if you steal one from Dad's closet. Imagine a horny 14-year-old
waving one of those...

*shatters utterly*

Oh, no, gods, no!
--

A 14 year old with a blow-up doll, a bucket of 'wavium, and a Gameboy.

O_O

I wonder if that'd be the cause of Fenspace's first 'rogue' AI (since I haven't heard about one yet).

"Oo ssuk eee in iss odi?" *You stuck me in THIS body?!*

"Whoa, you can -talk-? Well, kinda, anyway... that's pretty sweet. Tell me how much you love me."

"Ein onna KILL OOO!!!"

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

14-year-old pervert handwavium engineer: Aaaaah! Murderous blow-up doll! *thud thud thud thud of running feet*

"*Name stolen from latest pop idol*" his creation: Sssssso' wunnin sso ei 'n KILL OOO! [Stop running so I can kill you!] *squeak squeak squeak of vinyl rubbing against itself*
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

*SNNNRRRRRRT!!!!*

Oh wow. At the very least, a write-up HAS to be done about Fenspace's first 'rogue' AI. ^_^

Quote:At the very least, a write-up HAS to be done about Fenspace's first 'rogue' AI. ^_^
If it's housed in a blow-up doll, shouldn't it be a "rouge AI"? ^_____^
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

And here I was thinking of some Danecrat demogog ranting against Wavium using the example of how 'a young man was hospitalized for extreame
dehydration' after waving a blow-up doll. 8P

He can still rant on about how an AI created with handwavium nearly killed the kid... And then it'll be very interesting to see how fast his political
career folds when the Dane populace finds out the particulars of the incident. *evil grin*