Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Character idea
Character idea
A Dresden Files fen who goes by the name David Ripley.

He primed a batch of Wavium using copies of the novels, DVDs of the TV series, and the comics miniseries. Then he waved various items resulting in:

- a hockey stick/staff that can create/control windgusts

- a drumstick/blasting rod that shoots blasts of fire (mostly slapstick. The blasts pack a punch and feel hot, but actual damage is limited to scorching of
inanimate materials and a bad sunburn to flesh)

- A silver pentacle that he can make glow like a lantern

- A bracelet that might stop bullets (he hasn't been willing to test it yet)

Additionally, when he went to wave his car he accidentally grabbed the Dresden strain of wavium instead of the standard batch he had set aside for the job.
After he finished coating his car, he went to bed and woke up to discover his 4 door sedan had morphed into an old VW Beetle.

Blue Beetle quirks

- 'faster going downhill': The Beetle is slower than would be expected from it's size (top speed of 0.07c). It can reach higher speeds (0.09c)
when going 'downhill' into a gravity well.

- 'I'm not dead yet!': the Beetle seems to be constantly on the verge of dying. Unpleasant sounds from the engine, puddles of miscellanious fluids
forming within a hour of being parked, ect.

- 'roomier than you'd expect': It seems a somewhat larger on the inside that the outside, a liitle more space behind the seats and you can cram a
bit more into the trunk than would seem possible.

David makes a living as a Private Investigator based out of B.5 (I'm thinking of having him partnered with a Noir/detective story fen).

Not sure how he should get along with Potterites

suggestions? comments?

Hmmm. Add some Cris Angel/David Copperfield to it. Y'know, to make sure you've got Clarke's Law on your side. As wondrous as the 'wave is, it DOES need to work from something tech-y.

Like, f'rinstance, your hockey stick had a small battery-powered fan in it. The drumstick had bits and pieces of a zippo lighter taped to it, etc etc.
Of course, we do have StrongBad's corollary of Clarke's Law:
Quote:The word "technology"... means... "magic". It's basically anything that's really cool that you don't know how it works.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

I like. Nothing too abusive, and a lot of fun/story potential.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

I agree with Foxboy. Just make sure that your character has a clear image in his mind and he'll get pretty much what he wanted - handwavium is good at
hiding the stuff that makes things go if you're good at it.

To be honest, I'm thinking of making him an open character. After all, I barely do anything with the characters I already have. The concept popped into my mind and I had to toss it out here.