Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Motorball, Anyone?
Motorball, Anyone?
It just suddenly came to me while I was writing. Why don't we have Motorball in Fenspace?

For those that don't know, Motorball was a popular sport in the Battle Angel Alita manga for cyborgs. You have a track that could be any length,
any design you could think of and with any number of obstacles or outright hazards you can dream up. Racers use motorized rollerblades and can attain speeds
up to 300 kph. The goal of the game is to be the first person to carry the Motorball for three laps. This, in case you haven't guessed, is indeed a
full-contact combat-sport, but fights are expected to be carried out 'on the fly' - you get penalized for time if you stop for more than thirty
seconds.

The Motorball itself is a tricky little critter. It has eight nubs, spaced equidistantly around the surface of the ball, that spin at a very high rate of RPM.
The purpose is to make the ball bounce chaotically around the course and make it more difficult to hold onto. The way to disengage the spinners and safely
hold onto the ball is to grab it by the bowling-ball like fingerholes. There are six sets of these, one for each 'face' of the ball.

Sound like fun?

You'll have to wait a bit untill the terraforming projects get some results, otherwise we don't have the space. And you'll have to wait untill
there's a big enough population of cyborgs to supply players.

Quote:Why don't we have Motorball in Fenspace?
Well, there are only so many games that Fen can re-create over a half-decade, and the need to dodge obstacles is addressed by Asteroid Racing and Astroball... but those are both in-vehicle sports. Why not have a few Motorball racetracks?

Hmmmmm... (goes and checks character writeups) R. Takami Sakuragi - Notable Mundane Attributes: good rollerblader (for speed, not acrobatics); very good with thrown butterfly knives. I think we may have a Motorball player. Okay, she isn't the best hand-to-hand fighter, but she's no slouch, either. And Fengames never match their fictional templates 100%...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Quote:And you'll have to wait untill there's a big enough population of cyborgs to supply players.
Ah, but androids can play too...

(A possible starting lineup: A.C., Dee, Takami, half of Azu Squadron in telepresence rigs, maybe Gina, maybe Miyu... there's enough named folks in Fenspace for a game or two already.)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

robkelk Wrote:
Quote:And you'll have to wait untill there's a big enough population of cyborgs to supply players.
Ah, but androids can play too...

(A possible starting lineup: A.C., Dee, Takami, half of Azu Squadron in telepresence rigs, maybe Gina, maybe Miyu... there's enough named folks in Fenspace for a game or two already.)

*Shakes image of A.C. cosplaying as Ginga Nakajima.*

Well, if you're gonna go that route, I'll unleash my secret weapon...Kasumi!

(This isn't as silly as it looks. Remember she's an android ninja who looks like a cross of Kasumi Tendo and Kasumi from DOA.

Who happens to be A.C.'s chief sparing partner.

And A.C. can do all Attim M'Zac can. Which includes such things as dodge snipers, throw light projectiles BACK at said snipers with near-pinpoint accuracy, and cut bullets apart in mid-air whilst engaged in a high-speed chase on the back of a motocycle.

There's a reason pissing off the Scarlet Angel is the Seventh Level of Screwed.)

... yeah, I could see Dee getting into it by default, main human-size body being as close to a copy of the Berserker body as feasible and all.

Gina would be a fright to see in action. With her kind of competitive spirit she'll love the sport for all it's worth. In fact, she'd be an even
better Motorballer than Alita was simply because she loves the attention it garners.

Seriously, I could see this being Fenspace's real Glory Sport. While others are about sheer physical prowess, hair-trigger reactions, and mad 5k1||z (which
Motorball has as well) it is all about doing it with style and showing off for the fans. Whether or not that includes 'Fan Service' is up to the
players. I doubt Gina would go -that- far... no, never mind. She would. -_-;;