Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[RFC] Moar Characters!
[RFC] Moar Characters!
I've been thinking about it lately and my entire family, with the exception of one or two individuals, are all fen enough to come on up once things seem to
be stable enough and opportunities abound. Also, I feel that there is the need for about two more AI's over at 36 Atalante...

Momma Jones

As the woman that mothered Benjamin, she's about as nutty as he is in her own way. Her time spent as a flower child shows clearly in her
fashion sense: jean skirts and lots of colorful stone and sea shell beads. It was her that pushed the most to get the Family up into Fenspace, and there she
has taken on the overall management of household services at 36 Atalante, from ensuring that everyone's got clean sheets and toilet paper, to assuring the
quality of the (mostly) tex-mex menu at the chow halls.

William Jones

Benjamin's father isn't really a Fen, per say. However, he is an excellent computer engineer and has taken a great interest in using
handwavium in combination with experimental computer design to produce actual business machines for Fenspace. With Mr. Jones's highly objective
methodology in utilizing handwavium, his creations tend to be very low in quirk and highly effective in information processing, making them into ideal machines
for research and development among Fen and even wave-friendly Mundane buisnesses.

Reggy 'Radmobile' Jones

Reggy has a penchant for three things: Big Explosions, Big Sound Systems, and Big Robots. One of his first and most resoundingly succesful
projects was to recreate the Megas XLR from the animated series of the same name. With this has come The Roughriders first true mecha contingent with a real
loose cannon in charge (as a result, these are the people Benjamin turns loose when something needs to be hammered with overkill-levels of prejudice).

Jimmy Jones

Jimmy is one of the few to try out for a biomod and came up pretty damn lucky. As a Dark Elf, he is ideally suited for sneaking around in the
shadows, but his true love and joy is physical therapy for Roughriders lucky enough to be recovering from serious injuries (something that he puts his
incredibly nimble fingers to excellent use).

Robby Jones

Robby is another engineer (the family is rife with them) and has taken on the overall roll at 36 Atalante. While Benjamin handles the R&D
end of things, Robby oversees the maintenance of the various ships and equipment at the asteroid base.

Carl Jones

Before coming to Fenspace, Carl had achieved a master's degree in Asian Studies and one of his greatest loves is the study of martial
arts. Upon arrival at 36 Atalante, he wasted no time in setting up a dojo on the base and began to instruct any who would come in his unique blend of mixed
martial arts.

Mackenzie Jones

Mackenzie gets along very well with vicious and oversized creatures - usually the kaiju-scale ones. Somehow, whenever a biomodded critter
gets to be this size, Mackenzie comes a-running to add the unrully critter to his "Monster Island" - a hollowed out asteroid inside which all his
monsters frolic and play in an idealic setting. Of course, every now and then The Roughriders see the strategic use in 'loosing' one of them nearby an
enemy holding.

Zackary 'Z' Cochrane

Z is the engineering AI and, until Robby had been acquired by The Roughriders, was the sole person in cahrge of the maintenance of the
force's ships. He can be grouchy at times, but he also has a hilarious sense of self-depreciative humor.

Ruri

This AI, taking on the appearance of a bored girl with silver hair and amber eyes, is the majordomo of 36 Atalante's mainframe. Like the
character from Martian Successor Nadesico, she has a very dry and clever wit hidden under her bored apearance, and she also cares very deeply for the people
who have gone out of their way to be her friend.

Obviously at least one story involving this crew had to be called "Keeping Up With the Joneses".

Looks like a lot of potential, BA!
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Oh, good - somebody to be in charge of Monster Island! (Oh, is "idealic " supposed to be "idealistic" or "idyllic"?)

Are any of the family (other than the "parental units") married, or seriously dating anyone? A story about how the wife or girlfriend sees Fenspace
would be interesting. And if Robby's single, the previously-introduced F-EZig pilot/mechanic Bronwyn Ffoulkes just might be interested in dating him...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Quote:Bob_Shroeck wrote:

Obviously at least one story involving this crew had to be called "Keeping Up With the Joneses".
Looks like a lot of potential, BA!
Heh, thanks! ^_^;;
Yeah, that'll be a fun story. I think it'll be a day-in-the-life story that goes round-robin with each member and involve a healthy dose of the other inhabitants of 36 Atalante. They're definitely going to liven the place up when they arrive post-OGJ. Radmobile building his Megas alone is going to make things interesting.
Quote:robkelk wrote:

Oh, good - somebody to be in charge of Monster Island! (Oh, is "idealic " supposed to be "idealistic" or "idyllic"?)
Gah! Meant idyllic. Friggin' ship's computers lack spellcheckers.
Glad that someone loves the idea of Monster Island. I was a bit worried that someone might think I was pushing it a bit too far. Resident monsters will include classics like Godzilla and Rodan, as well as some new ones like Slyther and the Blue Eyes White Dragon of Yu-Gi-Oh! fame, and even some of the legendary pokemon from blue-red-green and silver-gold-crystal. I imagine that Mackenzie is going to be doing a lot of work with Lilo and Stitch.
Radmobile is going to be one of those obnoxious guys that loves games, fast cars, fast food, and big explosions, but you can't help but love him anyways because he is just full of awesome. Women should stay clear of his handwaviumized stereo system, though, as it has a quirk of blasting their clothes off when the knob on the master volume is turned to '11'.
Jimmy's going to see about attending the Ninja Academy as long as Ben can broker a deal with their leader (gone blank on the name) - that being that he'll pay to have Jimmy there as a 'security consultant and medic nin' on a full time basis, except at times when he's needed back at the Village.
Robby is going to be the most normal of them all, except that he seems to be following Benjamin's lead. He's got an F-EZig that he's been slowly putting together and no one but Robby is quite sure of what its capabilities are going to be. Not even Benjamin knows for sure, but he has some idea since Robby comes to him the most with questions like, "Should I go with the fusion torch or the turbo-charged ion drives?"
Carl will not only specialize in martial arts, but combat tactics in general. He'll be present at any planning boards for fleet activities.
Mom and Pop Jones, as well as everyone else, are going to get biomods through an incident. Whether it's going to be through a rash of cross-contamination incidents or a massive Handwavium spill, both will lead to 36 Atalante's big Handwavium Safety and You campaign. Wink Mom is going to become an avatar character she onced used for her 'Trekkers Over Forty' group: a woman who is 1/16th Q (decent telekinesis and touch of precognition). Quirk is that she's gotta have a steady supply of chocolate in her diet. It has to be good chocolate, too. Hersheys will do in a pinch, but Godiva gives her the best pick-me-up. As for Pop, not quite sure. For being a Dane, he has a penchant for acting like a bad-ass... Momma Jones says he'd make a good Romulan. Big Grin
Quote:robkelk wrote:

Are any of the family (other than the "parental units") married, or seriously dating anyone? A story about how the wife or girlfriend sees Fenspace would be interesting. And if Robby's single, the previously-introduced F-EZig pilot/mechanic Bronwyn Ffoulkes just might be interested in dating him...
They'll all be single and, to one extent or another, looking (except, of course, the parental units). ^_^

Quote: Mom and Pop Jones, as well as everyone else, are going to get biomods through an incident. Whether it's going to be through a rash of cross-contamination
incidents or a massive Handwavium spill, both will lead to 36 Atalante's big Handwavium Safety and You campaign. Wink Mom is going to become an
avatar character she onced used for her 'Trekkers Over Forty' group: a woman who is 1/16th Q (decent telekinesis and touch of precognition).
Heh. Handwavium safety SHOULD be a required course for people in Fenspace. All too often it isn't, though...which leads to interesting
complications. As for Mom Jones...you're going to get arguments over the psi. We haven't had anyone yet who's really demonstrated anything
resembling psi powers, at least as far as I can remember (though I think I'd put Greenpeace's ability to communicate as possible telepathy). Me, I
don't have any problems with weak psi powers, especially weak precognition, since hunches are hard to prove as a power one way or another. The telekinesis
is probably going to be harder to sell, though.

And as an aside - how are you getting the nice quote boxes that actually list the person who wrote the quote? Are you just adding that manually, or is there a
feature in the quote function that I've missed somehow?

Foxboy Wrote:You mean like this?
I used tags as follows, with ( ) replacing [ ]:
Code:
(quote="Blarg")Geeba geeba(/quote)
PRoducing:
Blarg Wrote:Geeba geeba
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

That, and clicking the link that says "Quote" under the person's avatar who you are qouting does it automatically as well. Didn't know about
that bit of code, though. Handy to know about. I was doing it manually whenever I had to split things up.

On the subject of TK... How about this: anything within an appropriate area of affect that has enough handwavium in it can be levitated and moved about. Think
of it as the Handwavium liking her enough that it's saying, "Okay, you're very cool. For that, we'll do heavy lifting for you." This
means that she'll be able to move handwaviumized equipment, and perhaps even biomodded plants and people.

*SNRTS!* Funny thought: Momma Jones telling Gina that if Benjamin ever gives her any undue grief to let her know so she could put his ass in the ground for a
while to think about what he's doing... And she'd actually be able to do it, too!

Quote: Feinan wrote:

Heh. Handwavium safety SHOULD be a required course for people in Fenspace. All too often it isn't, though...which leads to interesting complications.

I have a bit in mind for my character in the future, likely after he's been in the Black for a few years. Yes, he takes precautions like rubber aprons,
gloves, and gas masks to keep his contact level down... but sometimes it seems like the 'wavium tries to get around that...
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor