Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Draft] Rockhounds Pages

ECSNorway Wrote:...

Charlie's still working on the gender issues.)
Did something come out of the catboying machine (meant to be used with catgirls) which I saw mentioned somewhere, or did I actually imagine/dream it?

As yet, there is no Catboy Machine. (Or, at the least, nobody's revealed one in fiction.) However, there are other ways to get a cat-person biomod; they're just one-off and unreliable...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Random Silly for BA: Give me a (highly attractive female) pilot on the Roughriders squadron for Charlie to flirt at. Smile
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Quote:[b]robkelk wrote:[/b]

As yet, there is no Catboy Machine. (Or, at the least, nobody's revealed one in fiction.) However, there are other ways to get a cat-person biomod; they're just one-off and unreliable...
Are you sure? I was certain ~runs to wiki search~ A-ha! I knewI had not dreamed it:
http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... Curve_2014

The part about biomoldingĀ  (note the "l"):

However, you're probably thinking about the latest in the realm of Biomods.

The first of these is the recently named Biomolding process. Based on detailed examinations of the infamous Catgirling Machine, this allows the victims of that device to change their appearances to something more comfortable. Interestingly, the biomolding process allows multiple moldings of a subject. This means subjects of this and its parent machine are not technically biomods anymore. It's still very rough tech and there aren't many around, not to mention creating the framework design is complex for even Wave A.I.'s, so don't get your hopes up.
There are of course downsides. The first and most important is that, baring the capture of Dr. Asmodeus Grey or a very good medical complete with 3D-imaging scan and a DNA sample, there is no way to return to a pre-molded state. Second, once your biomolded, that's it. You have too much wave in you to be anything else, and if you aren't careful with the framework you'll lose any abilities (biomod or not) you have. Third, every biomold result has a homeostasis effect. While this means that (baring a rapidly fatal or a brain injury) they'll heal rapidly and completely, any change to the body form will regenerate (including lost limbs). So, cybertech enhancement of biomolds is out for the moment. Fourth, the unfortunate discovery of the Heinrick limit when Jules Heinrick died attempting to remold himself two months after he last did it. Currently, the limit is set at three months between biomoldings. Anyone assisting in a remold of someone under this limit is currently to be charged with being an accessory to murder, and any survivors will be charged with attempted murder.

There are also a couple of specific molding machine types around from the development of the general biomolding machines. The Catboying machine proved fairly popular for those desperate to regain their original gender, even if they are very bishonen afterwards. The Puma-ising machine generates some interest from people wanting to join FESWAT, given as it renders the subject into a version of one of the Shirow Puma Twins. Being an extremely tough, hard-bodied and voluptuous six foot plus amazon is a bit of a bonus apparently (even with the cat ears, which are surprisingly useful according to those currently in action).

It mentions quite a few important breakthrougs; and 2014 seems way too early for most of then. Since this was originally writen for a "2014" that was the next season, we may consider retconning it to 2023...

Edit: Since the article is about general research of unspecified authors, instead of A.C. Peters own research, we may outsource the study of the Catgirl Machine to Jenga, which have a machine, a reseach department and a clear interest in studiing it. An idea: After the Pan terrorist attack thas is beign written now, the catgilrs realize that their medicalĀ department are rather lacking, so one or sevealr of then begin to study medicine, with the biomoldong machines as an end resl after some time.

ECSNorway Wrote:Random Silly for BA: Give me a (highly attractive female) pilot on the Roughriders squadron for Charlie to flirt at. Smile
Well, there's always http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=Wing_3]Lt. Shizuka Yukimura... or Gina.
--
Rob Kelk

Rakhasa Wrote:
Quote:[b]robkelk wrote:[/b]
Are you sure? I was certain ~runs to wiki search~ A-ha! I knewI had not dreamed it:
http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... Curve_2014
It mentions quite a few important breakthrougs; and 2014 seems way too early for most of then. Since this was originally writen for a "2014" that was the next season, we may consider retconning it to 2023...
That's probably a good idea... Cobalt, any objection?
--
Rob Kelk

Rakhasa Wrote:Edit: Since the article is about general research of unspecified authors, instead of A.C. Peters own research, we may outsource the study of the Catgirl Machine to Jenga, which have a machine, a reseach department and a clear interest in studiing it. An idea: After the Pan terrorist attack thas is beign written now, the catgilrs realize that their medicalĀ department are rather lacking, so one or sevealr of then begin to study medicine, with the biomoldong machines as an end resl after some time.

Yes, there will be some reorientation towards this blind spot...

(Biomolding as 'cat wants other furcolor' machine? Wink )

Quote:HRogge wrote:

(Biomolding as 'cat wants other furcolor' machine? Wink )
That's why God created dyejobs Big Grin As I understood it when I read the fic, it is more like "cat wants to be a dog" -you are still modded, but you alter the biomod a little bit to beter fit your tastes.
But even if biomodling is seriously limited, a simple gender change that lets the rest of the biomod the same would work wonders for the psyche of a number of accidentally biomodded, the least of which aren't the catgirls...

Even when CI starts doing research on biotech (like the catgirling machine process), I am not sure they are (from meta perspective) right group to develop things like Biomolding... is Biomolding even related to the Catgirling machine?

Reading the fic again, it is unclear -the Machine was an obvious inspiration ("We stick someone in the biomolding machine and they come out changed") but wheter the relation is closer.
Still, this looks like it may be an actual accidental discovery: Someone tries to revert the catgirl process, which fails, of course, as it is a biomod. But eventuallly somehow they manage to get a catgirl to return to his original gender, and the process grows from that. I think it should be a different biomold machine for each change -one for catboys, one for wolf-to-fox anthros, one so aquatic Monsters of the Black Lagoon turn amphibian and so can breathe air...
This first machine would be done by someone who is working on the catgirls. Jenga is the one everyone thinks when "catgirl research" come up, but as you said they are more into FTL physics and computer research, not the biological sciences. Who else is there? Well, the other two obvious are the other two catgilr grous, the Cargirl nuns (not right for research, but they are interested in healign the catgilr's traumas, so they could fund the research?) or a as yet unnamed biology lab in Liberatrix.
Edit: We have derailed the Rockhounds playground long enough, lets move the discussion to its own lawn.