Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[FenWiki] [Admin] Poll: Changes
[FenWiki] [Admin] Poll: Changes
Hokay, so.

For those of you who don't have admin access to the wiki, we've reached over 400 pages since the wiki began. That's a lot of stuff, and everybody
who's contributed should feel proud. At this point, I've been thinking about what & where the wiki should go next, and I wanted to throw out a
proposal to y'all.

Over the last week or so I've been playing with MediaWiki. It's not a very forgiving beast at an admin level, but it *is* more flexible than what
we've got right now, and as the pagecount and imagecount rises I think it might be worth exploring moving all our stuff over from the Dokuwiki platform.

Pros for changing wikis:

* We get greater flexibility in categorization, layout, etc.

* Adding future pages would be that much easier (no more long-assed namespace chains, for one thing)

Cons for changing wikis:

* Having to convert all the pages from Doku syntax to MW syntax.

* Steeper learning curve for the more advanced features.

As it stands, we could probably benefit from a general reorganization. We can do that without changing the wiki engine, though it'll probably be the same
amount of total work. And since *I* can't come up with a defining answer here, not to mention that Fenspace is powered by the Will of the Hive, I'm
opening up debate. The poll will be open for two weeks, so everybody has a chance to vote. In the meantime, if you've got strong opinions - or just want to
tell me I'm nuts - go ahead and comment. The Mod Has Spoken.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

It sounds like a fine idea and I'm all for it, but I'd like to hold off for a bit. I think it may be best that everyone take some time to familiarize
themselves with the new engine and work on converting their documents themselves as they have time to do so. This will aslo give them a chance to update
statistical and historical information on characters, ships, places, etc. God knows I need to do some cleaning up on my stuff. ^_^;;

Well, this isn't going to happen overnight, even if there's an overwhelming desire to swap wikis. I'll need to get all the backend stuff worked out
with our sysadmin, at some point close the current wiki & back it up just in case something goes wrong, get everything tweaked properly, *then* open it up.
It's easily a full weekend's worth of work on my end *just* to get the new build to the point where *you* guys can start screwing with it. So
there's that.

Put one up and let's see how folks like working with it.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

That sounds like a good idea. I wouldn't mind playing around with it a bit... Though not tonight. :p Gonna be trying out a nice little Windows XP Mod
called XP Essential.

Well, the poll has closed, and it looks like apathy won the day. So for now, we do nothing.

For now.

Question: Those of you who were in on the private MediaWiki alpha - what did you think?

Quote:Question: Those of you who were in on the private MediaWiki alpha - what did you think?
I didn't see any compelling reason to migrate... (Mind you, I'm the person who voted "no" in the migration poll.)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Quote:Question: Those of you who were in on the private MediaWiki alpha - what did you think?

Whilst it seemed like it was faster and had a better feel, I wasn't sure it was needed so voted maybe.

I really didn't spend enough time there to get a proper idea, sadly. I had intended to reproduce a few pages to see how they worked out, but I never found the opportunity. I did think it seemed faster and smoother, though.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Well, it's still up on the IP I gave you, if you want to try playing with it a little more. Gotten a little bigger since the last time you accessed it -
all part of a Cunning Plan - but there's plenty of stuff left to migrate.