Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Character/Draft/RFC] I blame the sleep deprivation...

It should load up fairly quickly and you should know in less than 30 seconds whether or not you're connected to the synchronization server. Just to be
safe, though, I'll have the site send you an invite.

So waiting for five minutes is a bad sign, then...

(looks at settings - turns on every JavaScript option, including the ones that let VXers into the computer, and tries again)

(waits another five minutes)

Well, at least I got a cursor this time... but no text. And the chat window still won't open.

(checks cookies)

A-ha! The site's trying to set third-party cookies that leave personally-identifying information without asking permission first. Sorry, but it looks like
Etherpad is a no-go for me.

(puts JavaScript options back the way they were)

Shall we go back to the old-fashioned method of hammering out stories on this forum? It seemed to work well enough in 2006, 2007, and 2008...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Huh!? That's odd. I'm using a military machine and I can get through. *Checks settings* Yep, all 3rd party cookies are blocked here. I don't
understand why you would get 3rd party cookies while I wouldn't.

If we have to then I suppose there's not much choice in the matter. I just find the idea of having a live, online copy that can be edited collaboratively
in real time to be much more desirable than having to rehash stuff repeatedly on the forums and then edit the little beastie into a kitbashed whole.

In that light, here's what I got up on the pad at this point. So far I'm the only one who's contributed anything, so if Helen is not what you
desried, then have at it.

Mayonaka sighed. Yes, she knew that she was going to get into trouble for the Type 17. Yes, she knew that when she took on being Benjamin and Gina's
daughter that she'd be treated as such. However, and most strangely, it still didn't make it any easier to deal with the resentment.

Being human is so complex, thought Mayonaka to herself ruefully.

At the very least, she figured that while she may be grounded she could still get in touch with a friend. Smiling at the thought of having at least that much,
she sat down in her desk chair (she had a hammock instead of a bed - much easier on the wings), closed her eyes and focused on her connection to her ship-form.
From there, it was a simple matter to gain access to the Interwave and her own VOIP account, dialed the first number in her phone book (organized by most
frequently called people) and waited for an answer.

"That you, Oneesan?"

"Who else? Helen, I blew it with my folks today."

"Oh no! What was it? The goop bomb?"

"Yeah. We need to read the labels more carefully. It was a Type 17."

"Oh-oh. Who did you get?"

"... My MOOOOoooommm!" The squeal of the scandalized child made Mayonaka glad that she wasn't actually using her ears. Those things were
annoyingly delicate.

"OMGWTFBBQ!!!" cried out Helen. She still wouldn't tell Mayonaka how the hell she got the VOIP connection to send the raw binary for the ASCII
symbols. "Why are you even alive?"

"Well, you know my Dad."

"Oh," said Helen, at a loss. She didn't really understand how Mayonaka's Dad calmed her Mom down, but it was always a private thing. That
always annoyed her, but she'd long since learned to let it go. "So I guess we're not on for next week then?"

"No," replied Mayonaka glumly. "You can bet my Dad's taking key parts out of my other body now to make sure I don't sneak off. I swear
to Raven he's as paranoid as they come." She knew why, though, but that was something that was just way to heavy to unload onto Helen. Plus, that was
her Dad's story to tell.

"I know!" bemoaned Helen. "My parents are so terrible that way!"

Suddenly, a thought occurred to Mayonaka. "Hey... You remember my Dad's racer?"

"Bullet Boy Express? Yeah! He's so awesome when he drives that one!"

"Yeah, but my Mom can do it without any help... and if she can do that..."

"THEN SO CAN YOU!!!" cried out Helen in delight. "Oneechan is a genius!"

"Thank you, thank you," said Mayonaka as she mock-preened under the praise.

I'm not sure whether Helen would use "Oneechan" (both her parents are American) but I'm also not sure she wouldn't (most of her
"aunts" are Japanese, and her tutor's half-Japanese/half-British). Must think on that...

(Oh, re. Etherpad - could it be a browser-compatability thing? I don't use IE.)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Go ahead and change up whatever you feel does not fit with her character.

For me, Mayonaka comes very easily - she's a lot like me when I was a kid: sneaky, mischievous, conniving, fun-loving, adventurous... The only things she
is not are hopelessly ADD and insanely hyperactive. In place of that she's smart well beyond her years and not as innocent as one might think. People can
sometimes get weirded out by her whenever they look into her eyes and realize that she's about to have a go at them and will probably come out on top.

Re: Etherpad - I've used it successfully with Mozilla Firefox 3.x. Not sure about 2.x, though. If you are on 2, then I recomend you try upgrading to 3, or
try a different browser.

Okay, this notice didn't go up sooner because the computers on my ship like to screw around with me when I'm at my busiest.
Anyhow, in case no one's noticed yet, I've reworked and reposted the story, and even added on to it, over in the Fiction subforum. I got a [Draft] tag slapped onto it still incase someone finds something about it that's off. More will be coming later as soon as I find the time and inspiration to write it (it shouldn't take too long - I got little Mayo-chan stuck in my head).