Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[goofing off] If this were Fenspace...

Quote:I can deal with the subsonic speeds. What's the vibe on the idea of 'sensors?'
The more you load into the knife, the bigger and heavier it gets.

I pictured Safety as being the smallest possible container for a grav-drive, a sensor package, and a full AI that can communicate with the outside world, and she's a 1/12 scale human. But that was my idea, not something decided by the Collective. One could say it's possible to get a smaller package without the full-AI and the humaniform hardware and software, or one could say it was only possible to get something that small because the handwavium copied the existing fictional prototype.

(And since I mentioned Raising Heart in an earlier post... IMHO, there's no way a Nanoha-style Intelligent Device can be built in Fenspace to be as small as the ones in the anime. The AI, the holo-forcefield generator (to "create" the larger form of the device), the power supply, and the ranged weaponry (Edit: and the speed drive, to provide the owner's flight capability), as a package, would have to be made of something smaller than nanotech to fit in a gem, badge, or pendant. And there's no picotech described in the Scott Archive. A PalmPilot/iPhone/TV remote might be large enough to hold a Fenspace Intelligent Device, but I doubt it...)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Quote:
Quote: I can deal with the subsonic speeds. What's the vibe on the idea of 'sensors?'

The more you load into the knife, the bigger and heavier it gets.

I pictured Safety as being the smallest possible container for a grav-drive, a sensor package, and a full AI that can communicate with the outside world, and she's a 1/12 scale human. But that was my idea, not something decided by the Collective. One could say it's possible to get a smaller package without the full-AI and the humaniform hardware and software, or one could say it was only possible to get something that small because the handwavium copied the existing fictional prototype.

The "Working" Model we have now is about the size of a small Sword. We're reducing the Functionality of the Grav Drive already, so adding sensors, and a more functional AI Isn't going to change the Weight much. Mind, with a Grav drive extra Weight is not going to be much of a problem.

A Missileknife is based off of "The Culture" Personal Weaponry base. They really Only have to communicate fully with one person, and generally have a limited AI, and clearly require the Support of a Fully Awakened Inteligence (Artificial or Otherwise).

Quote: (And since I mentioned Raising Heart in an earlier post... IMHO, there's no way a Nanoha-style Intelligent Device can be built in Fenspace to be as small as the ones in the anime. The AI, the holo-forcefield generator (to "create" the larger form of the device), the power supply, and the ranged weaponry (Edit: and the speed drive, to provide the owner's flight capability), as a package, would have to be made of something smaller than nanotech to fit in a gem, badge, or pendant. And there's no picotech described in the Scott Archive. A PalmPilot/iPhone/TV remote might be large enough to hold a Fenspace Intelligent Device, but I doubt it...)

Palm sized ID, are probably going to be at least fourth or Fifth Generation Wave Tech. We will probably have to build them backwards Starting with the Full Sized Version, then figuring how to store it physically in something the size of a Palm Pilot until needed.

And That's before we even get into things like a Cartridge system to boost the Power to/past Starship levels...

Okay, granted it's not a very big weapon. With a 30cm blade and a 20cm grip, I'd say it's comparable in size to a tanto (short Japanese sword -
usually only used for honorable suicide). However, the requirements of the AI are pretty lean.

1) Must recognize only one user.

2) Must be able to plot flightpaths with numerous waypoints, no more than 5000 meters in range.

3) Must navigate plotted flightpaths and acocunt for random collision avoidance.

4) Grav Drive to remain in standby mode when sheathed.

By Fenspace computing standards, this is not a lot. You can actually get a reasonably advanced AI from an old 1st generation Nintendo Gameboy (though it'll
be quirky as hell). To say that you can't fit one as simple as what we need into a 20cm grip is kinda preposterous by our rules. As for the grav drive
itself, I figure that for best performance that would be part of the blade itself, running from tip to pomel.

Basic photographic sensors won't be a big deal, either. In the real world we have cameras so small that we can fit several to a redtail hawk just to see
how it flies without impeding its ability to fly. I think we can manage mounting a pair of waved photo-snesors on the hilt of a sword without hurting size or
performance.

As fare as basic sensors go, could always 'wave a couple of shooter sized marbles ( Catseye type of course) with a data port, and mount one in the base of
the blade and one on the pommel.

That sounds like it'd do. Be plenty freaky for anyone to look at this thing and see that it not only has an eye in the hilt, but one in the pommel as well.

Two words: Depth perception.