Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Draft] Jupiter Mining Corporation
[Draft] Jupiter Mining Corporation
Jupiter Mining Corporation

Technically formed October 14, 2008 when Jeph Antilles, Myk-El Miller, Nene Romanova and R2-G0 had a long, sit down discussion among themselves upon realizing
that they needed to have something to do, or go stark raving mad. Jeph had already planned on running small cargo between the various places that were certain
to crop up, Myk being an extra mouth that he'd not counted on made it an absolute certainty that they had to get to work helping the fledgling Fenspace
move goods.

By the time of SOS-Con, they were busy enough, both with shipping larger and larger cargo back and forth, as well as
Myk's well received 'Space Safety' and 'Safe Handwavium
Handling' courses, that an expansion was called for. Jeph was already toying with the potential of a fleet of cargo vessels.

Operation Great Justice made it absolutely mandatory as demand for cargo services jumped through the roof to support
the growing military complex that was developing to handle the Boskonians.

Organization

The name 'Jupiter Mining Corporation' is partly a misnomer, a placeholder of sorts that never got properly
replaced. This doesn't mean that the company doesn't deal in mining; shipping raw materials and finished product from places like The Forge, Hephaestus and any place the Rockhounds have set up shop is a big part of the JMC docket on any given day. They will also bring in products, mostly food, from
Earth itself, settled into an 'office' practically next door to Hermes Universal Deliveries. This office is only used for contract negotiations and
sales meetings; most of the time operations are conducted directly from Starbug 1, both headquarters and flagship of
the company.

Fleet

Starbug 1

Flagship and nominal headquarters when the company officers aren't sacked out in Melbourne, or in their relatively
modest digs in Serenity Valley. The first ship of the fleet, and used for many years as the primary cargo hauler,
Starbug 1 has basically been 'retired' from most active cargo service in lieu of the expanded fleet. Instead,
it serves, as part of a sideline set of contracts, as catering and transport for crews of various documentary shows that come up from Earth, the most notable
being the Fenspace special episode of Top Gear, and a 'Handwavium Myths' episode of The Mythbusters.

Starbug 2

Registry Number: Starbug 2

Base Hull: Custom (three deck personnel transport)

Drive Type: Speed (Gravity drive)

Drive Rating: .05C

Owner of Record: Jupiter Mining Corporation

Purpose: Personnel Transport

Home Port: Serenity Valley

Purpose: Personnel Transport

Launched: July 2014

Auxiliary Craft: Ironhide ('waved Panel Truck)

Crew: 3

Passengers: 15

Bearing only an outward resemblance to her 'sister' craft Starbug 1, Starbug
2 is specifically designed and constructed to serve as a lodging vessel for television show crews on especially large contracts. However, there is
sufficient cargo space and facilities available that she can be used when there are two separate but concurrent show contracts to be filled. Her first
'role' was bringing a crew along for a special series of 'Long Way' with Ewan MacGregor and Charley Boorman.

Known Vehicle Quirks

Don't Rush Me!: Anytime anyone on board is in a hurry to get moving, the engines take 50% longer to actually cycle
up than normal.

Watching My Knickers Spin Dry: Doing laundry in the provided facilities on board ship will shrink a random pair of
boxers, or, if everyone on board prefers briefs, will replace a pair of briefs with boxers, usually with no discrimination for gender or preferences.

The Blue Midgets

Registry Number: JMCB-##

Base Hull: Custom (four deck cargo transport)

Drive Type: Speed (Gravity drive)

Drive Rating: .04C

Owner of Record: Jupiter Mining Corporation

Purpose: Cargo Hauler

Crew: 3-6

More or less mass produced vehicles, they don't bear any more than superficial resemblance to the Blue Midget designs from Red Dwarf, aside from being
painted blue and boxy. As a single, each one is larger than either Starbug, encompassing four decks, although a fair amount of the space in each is dedicated
to cargo and storage. Each has a crew of three, with more than adequate facilities to support six crew when necessary.

Due to it's large size, the Blue Midget class contains equipment for external umbilical docking with both smaller craft, and larger stations. It also
carries a single auxiliary craft, typically a 'waved Honda Fit or equivalent.

All Blue Midgets are officially numbered rather than named, but each one has a name given it by the crew, the most prominently known being 'Eat And Run'.

Known Class Quirk

Shake, Rattle and Roll: Any attempt to push the vehicle past 50% of it's rated speed will result in the ship
vibrating like it's about to shed every single bolt that holds it together.

JMC Founding Members

Jeph Antilles - President and CEO

Myk-El Miller - Vice President of Operations

Nene Romanova - Vice President of Information Services

R2-G0 - Operations Manager and Supervising Engineer
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

Nice! Regular cargo runs for everyone! ^_^

You know, you're getting to the point where you might want to set up a Starbug Portal page on the FenWiki.

Back to the entry at hand... You're probably not going to be taking cargo trade away from Hermes Universal Deliveries - by the time JMC is set up, Fenspace will have grown to the point where HUD can't handle everything without turning into a Genom-sized company, and I get the vibe that they don't want to do that. Stellvia Corp. would still use HUD for shipping luxury goods from Earth to the L5 point (they have a proven track record there), but would be happy to contract with JMC to ship produce from Wonderland to Venus, the Island, and Mars, and ... er, "previously-enjoyed foodstuffs" ... from Earth and the Island to Wonderland. If JMC wants the contract, that is. (It'll be a three-month term contract, renewable term-to-term at the agreement of both parties.)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Quick & dirty, but what the hell...

[Image: jupiterminingcorporatio.png]
[Image: w638.png]
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

Quote: robkelk wrote:

You know, you're getting to the point where you might want to set up a Starbug Portal page on the FenWiki.

Back to the entry at hand... You're probably not going to be taking cargo trade away from Hermes Universal Deliveries - by the time JMC is set up,
Fenspace will have grown to the point where HUD can't handle everything without turning into a Genom-sized company, and I get the vibe that they
don't want to do that. Stellvia Corp. would still use HUD for shipping luxury goods from Earth to the L5 point (they have a proven track record there),
but would be happy to contract with JMC to ship produce from Wonderland to Venus, the Island, and Mars, and ... er, "previously-enjoyed
foodstuffs" ... from Earth and the Island to Wonderland. If JMC wants the contract, that is. (It'll be a three-month term contract,
renewable term-to-term at the agreement of both parties.)

There's something to be said for a market big enough for both. Smile JMC isn't around to take cargo trade away from anybody, just provide for the less
glamorous mining trade mostly, just that it's been beneficial to bring stuff back once the mining products and materials have been dropped off.

As for short term renewable subcontracts, JMC isn't too picky about the idea of subcontracting for more work. Wink

And interesting logo there, Mal. Maybe I should email you the Starbug 1 logo I knocked together and let you play with
that.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

[Edited to make the logo actually show up.]
OK, thanks muchly to Mal for making up the final logo for the company with the input of myself, and Myk's RL analogue. Mal, I owe you one of the libation of your choice the next time I see you. Wink

[Image: jmc.png]http://home.comcast.net/~jfcrouch/jmc.png

I'm thinking that, since there doesn't seem to be much objection, that I can certainly consider this more or less the final, if anyone wants to post anything to the Wiki. Smile
--