Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Okay, who's building this, and where?

Three thousand credits on green, Monsieur Croupier. Big Grin
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Quote:it comes to mind that, logically, the Old ring would be the personal domain of Noah and his friends/loved ones, while the New ring would be the place where all the Official Business is handled.
Oh, yeah, like a penthouse floor at the top of a luxury hotel.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Quote:Yes, I think we've got something that works here. Danke.

But wait, there's more~!

[Image: stellvia5.th.jpg]

That is Stellvia entire complete, ca. mid/late 2014.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

Oooooooohhhhhhhh... Pretty... (Well, it'll be pretty once it gets painted.)

I just realized the Jetways are launch tubes. (Don't ask me what I've been thinking they were; they're too big and in the wrong place for attitude correction thrusters.) Anybody mind if I steal from Godannar and make them launch catapults? They still can't get a Fencraft to travel above its top speed inside The Limit, but they can get the Fencraft to its top speed faster - and during OGJ, the minutes saved sometimes means some lives are saved as well.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Quote:Three thousand credits on green, Monsieur Croupier. Big Grin
Good thing Noah doesn't have any hangups about gambling... and he is in the services industry. I think you've just identified another business somewhere on the Main Concourse (aka Concourse A).
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:I just realized the Jetways are launch tubes.

Uh, no, they're jetways. The ports on the outer ring aren't suitable for winged vehicles, and the ports on the Old Ring are restricted access.

Quote: Whoa. I missed the car the first time around.

Gonna be lots of parking there.
I missed this comment the first time around...

Lots of parking, plus the drydock (home to Katz Schrodinger's Above and Beyond Q-Ship team from early-OGJ to when they build their own or OGJ ends, whichever comes first, then primarily for StellviaCorp's use).
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:Uh, no, they're http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_bridge]jetways. The ports on the outer ring aren't suitable for winged vehicles, and the ports on the Old Ring are restricted access.
And Ad Astra has wings, so they're necessary.

(Somebody wake the GM, please...)
--
Rob Kelk

And you know, it's pretty damned huge now -- it looks like it's probably big enough to be seen with the naked eye from Earth. Imagine how that little factoid will torque the shorts of the anti-Fenspacers...

(And yeah, I know, the GC's even more obvious. But it's not normally in as close an orbit...)
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

L5 is as far from Earth as Luna is - Stellvia should be visible with even a cheap telescope or a decent pair of binoculars, but probably not to the Mark 1 Eyeball. I think. (It's been a while since Astronomy 101...)
--
Rob Kelk

Rob, there are times that the International Space Station is blatantly visible to the Mk1 Eyeball. Trust me. I've seen it do a fly by and it's like
seeing Venus zoom from one horizon to the next in about two or three minutes. And it was in pre-dawn light, too (though it probably helped more than hindered,
considering how the sun must have been reflecting off the station).

(Now I'm just goofing off...)

A brief architectural history of Stellvia Station, in pictures:

[Image: stellvia2008.th.png]
2008: The original Stellvia station composed of six modified Space Shuttle ETs connected to a central hub.

[Image: stellvia2009.th.png]
2009: The first of many improvements to Stellvia, the expanded hangar facility was requested after one too many nerve-wracking landings in the module originally set up as a hangar.

[Image: stellvia2011.th.png]
2011: Faced with a drought of Fen commerce (which was totally his own damn fault, by the way) Stellvia owner Noah Scott turns to the mundane tourist market to stay afloat. The Hotel Stellvia module added plenty of extra space to compensate for the crowded conditions on the main ring.

[Image: stellvia2013.th.png]
2013: With the addition of Concourse A, Stellvia begins to take final form. The 300m diameter concourse allows for much more commercial traffic. Large facilities on the outer ring include the SEBureau drydocks and the popular restaurant Meg's.

[Image: stellvia2015.th.png]
2015: Stellvia as it stands before the next expansion project planned in 202X. Concourse B has been filled to capacity with mixed commercial and residential modules, while the newly-added Concourse C has yet to be opened for business.

... and just for the hell of it, this is something I threw together as a wallpaperish thing:
[Image: stellviafancy.th.jpg]

Quote:Rob, there are times that the International Space Station is blatantly visible to the Mk1 Eyeball.
The ISS is in LEO, though; it's approximately 350km above the Earth's surface. The Earth/Luna L5 point is approximately 384,000km from the Earth's surface, depending on where Luna is in its orbit; that's three orders of magnitude of difference from LEO. Stellvia isn't three orders of magnitude larger than the ISS...
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:Faced with a drought of Fen commerce (which was totally his own damn fault, by the way)
Hey, he paid all the damage claims, in full...

But, yes, it was his own damn fault.
--
Rob Kelk

Quote: robkelk wrote:

Quote: Rob, there are times that the International Space Station is blatantly visible to the Mk1 Eyeball.
The ISS is in LEO, though; it's approximately 350km above the Earth's surface. The Earth/Luna L5 point is approximately 384,000km from
the Earth's surface, depending on where Luna is in its orbit; that's three orders of magnitude of difference from LEO. Stellvia isn't
three orders of magnitude larger than the ISS...
Even so, I think that if the sun catches it just right...

Besides, isn't there room for more than just one station at a Lagrange point? If one were to get sufficiently crowded, then that would surely become
noticable, yes?

ETA: Just looked at the current Stelvia page... Even though most of the textual content will probably remain unchanged, I'm guessing that the page as a
whole is in for a heck of an overhaul.

Quote:ETA: Just looked at the current Stelvia page... Even though most of the textual content will probably remain unchanged, I'm guessing that the page as a whole is in for a heck of an overhaul.
After somebody Bonestells the diagrams Comrade Fnord has so kindly created...

(Going off on a tangent... anyone want to put an artists' commune on asteroid 3129 Bonestell?)
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:After somebody Bonestells the diagrams Comrade Fnord has so kindly created...

As a general note: now that the basic shape is locked, I'm going back and refining the model by adding detail, making some bit less obviously slapdash, etc. Not so much texturing probably. Once this is done - I figure end of the week at the latest based on current speed - I'll release the SKU if anybody wants to play w/ it.

Fnord? I know I asked before, but what all do you use for your render-work? Now that I got a triple-booting platform with The Big Three to work with,
compatability shouldn't be an issue for me anymore.

Quote:Once this is done - I figure end of the week at the latest based on current speed - I'll release the SKU if anybody wants to play w/ it.
No Bonestelling this week. Back to LoGG, then...
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:Fnord? I know I asked before, but what all do you use for your render-work?

Everything Stellvia-related I've built in Google Sketchup. I may end up using another program for a final "photograph" render for the wiki, but right now it's all Sketchup.

Speaking of, here's a status update. In the dock right now for revision is the Old Ring hangar extension:

[Image: hangarwip.th.jpg]

The DC-3 is in there mostly for scaling purposes, but also because I noticed that the hangar looked kinda like an old '30s airplane shed & thought that was kinda neat. Wink

Hmmm. Has anybody 'Waved a Gooney Bird yet?

Not to my knowledge, though it's probably out there in the ranks of the off-camera. The DC-3 is an inherently stylin' form of transportation, after
all.

True there. Although I'm surprised you didn't try to squeeze in a http://fnord.sandwich.net/fenwiki/doku. ... nu_express]DC-8.

(Yes, I know - too big...)
--
Rob Kelk

The DC-8's day will come, rest assured. Just as soon as I can find a decent Super Seventy model & am ready to tackle modeling Korolev AFB.

But that is another day. Today, have a WIP on the hab module:

[Image: modulewip.th.jpg]

Right now I'm trying to figure out where the windows, if any, should go on the main habitat part of the module. Any suggestions are welcome.

Another day, another WIP. Here we have the hotel section assembled:

[Image: hotelwip.th.jpg]