Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
40 Years ago this week - Apollo 10
40 Years ago this week - Apollo 10
A very interesting article on the BBC website that goes into details not often thought about these
days.

I had no idea that the ascent stage of the Apollo 10 Lunar module "Snoopy" still existed! It's in a Solar orbit even now!

Cue Fenspace... where (I hope) Snoopy has been declared a "historic site".
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

How would you enforce that? A National Parks Service ship or station in a parallel orbit?

(We probably should pursue this over in Fenspace instead of here, though.)
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Actually, I think it'd work out a bit like the Tomb Guards they have at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers in Washington, DC.

I'd say with automated satellite weaponry, preferably decorated in a way that involves full plate.

Maybe floating robot knights that grab onto oncoming ships, hack their engines, and force them to leave?

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

...cloaked. And they would de-cloak upon approach.
_____
DEATH is Certain. The hour, Uncertain...

Cloaking ruins the whole 'ancient, immovable statue' look that they're going for, though. They have to look impressive, but ornamental... until
they strike.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

That's kind of why I mentioned the Tomb Guards.

For one thing, there's no denying the US Space Program's military heritage. All pilots and commanders are either USAF or USN, so something that evokes
the US Army Tomb Guards seems very appropriate.

Also, the Tomb Guards perform that vital task of looking 'ornamental,' and they work extremely hard to make sure that their uniforms and regalia are
utterly perfect... However, make no mistake that those M-14s they carry are the Real Deal and that they carry a magazine or two on their person.

Quote: blackaeronaut wrote:

That's kind of why I mentioned the Tomb Guards.

For one thing, there's no denying the US Space Program's military heritage. All pilots and commanders are either USAF or USN, so something that
evokes the US Army Tomb Guards seems very appropriate.

Also, the Tomb Guards perform that vital task of looking 'ornamental,' and they work extremely hard to make sure that their uniforms and regalia are
utterly perfect... However, make no mistake that those M-14s they carry are the Real Deal and that they carry a magazine or two on their person.
Similar to the Tower Guards in London, who carry HK assault rifles, or their associates the Royal Wardsmen (i.e., the Beefeaters), who despite
their average age and build (mid to late 40s and slightly portly) are veterans with a minimum of 20 years' service in the British military (so, yes, that
45-year-old man with the bald spot and the spare tire might be able to kill you in 7 seconds with his left thumb). I think that such an honor guard in Fenspace
would be an elite posting, drawn from all factions, perhaps by nomination and review. Nominees would be selected based on record, temprament, and physical
fitness. Guards are stationed on a new orbital vehicle, moving in tandem with the Apollo 10 orbiter, which serves as a Visitors' Center and bunkhouse for
the current guard shift.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

(Moving thread to Fenspace, as we're very solidly in that territory now.)
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Bob: Thanks much!

Ebony: Smashing good idea! Smashing good! (^_^)

Question is... How shall they be presented? In their own faction's honor-guard regalia? Doesn't seem like such a bad idea, as part of what Fenspace is
about is unity of diversity.

Quote: blackaeronaut wrote:

Bob: Thanks much!

Ebony: Smashing good idea! Smashing good! (^_^)

Question is... How shall they be presented? In their own faction's honor-guard regalia? Doesn't seem like such a bad idea, as part of what Fenspace
is about is unity of diversity.
I think the Guard should have their own uniform, even if it's just a shirt, to provide a concrete identity. This particular group is supposed
to be about unity, rather than the diversity of Fenspace. Faction affiliation should be shoulder patches, like the ROTC have for military branch affiliation or
the Boy Scouts have for their Council and Patrol. Here's the Institute's, which you will see on any Blue Blazer who chooses to go formal to an
occasion, usually sewn on shirt shoulder or coat breast pocket. This is the "Blue Blaze" and is in bright blue with white lettering, as opposed to
the colors here. Sorry about the size, it's an LJ icon.

[Image: 48c1601a46a84b21973d18602f198e80463dd687.jpg]
Ebony the Black Dragon

Quote:This is the "Blue Blaze" and is in bright blue with white lettering, as opposed to the colors here. Sorry about the size, it's an LJ icon.
Here; I played with that file a bit in IrfanView:
[Image: blue-blaze.jpg]
Did I get the shade of blue right? No point going any farther if I've got the base colour wrong...
--
Rob Kelk

I think you want to invert the colors, if it's supposed to be white on blue.

But I might be wrong.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Quote: ECSNorway wrote:

I think you want to invert the colors, if it's supposed to be white on blue.

But I might be wrong.

You are not wrong. It should be white lettering on a blue background. And the blue should be a touch darker.
Ebony the Black Dragon

In similar news, I'm planning an Apollo Day celebration for a few of my close friends, July 19th of this year - 40th anniversary of Apollo 11.

Anyone else up for something?
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Quote:It should be white lettering on a blue background.
That was the "going any farther" part of my question.
Quote:And the blue should be a touch darker.
That's what I needed to know...
--
Rob Kelk