Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peeetttttssssss Iiiiinnnnnnn SpAAAAAAAACE!!!!!
Peeetttttssssss Iiiiinnnnnnn SpAAAAAAAACE!!!!!
Whereever man has gone in the past, his domesticated animals have usually gone with. Especially those he consideres his companions.

What about space? On the pro side, the proportion of pet owning fen is about the same as the danes.

on the minus, your talking about needing to provide cubage, mass allowance and life supportage for your pet as well as yourself.

on the THIRD hand, we've seen someone with a Pikachu too.

So? lets discuss?
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Hmmmmm... My characters have different takes on the question.

Starting with the Stellvians:
  • Noah doesn't keep a pet - he's got too much to worry about with his two-legged companions (especially Kohran) and the paying guests.
  • Leda usually sees animals as sources of genetic material. (The girl's got no romance in her soul...)
  • Sora and Kohran are more interested in machines than in pets.
  • Yayoi likes pikachu, and pikachu like Yayoi... but Yayoi's too busy flying and keeping Stellvia running to have the time to devote to a pet, and she's too considerate to keep a pet that she can't provide enough attention to.
  • Safety would be dwarfed by anything bigger than a mouse - it isn't safe for her to keep a pet. That said, she loves pomeranians.
  • Miyuri spends more time at Stellvia's telescope than in her quarters. (She wants a bigger telescope - one big enough to show up on the Stellvia CG model. She isn't getting one any time soon.) For her, animals are "things underfoot", not "pets".
  • Takami is afraid of cats. To stay on the safe side, she doesn't keep any pets.
  • Shizuka hasn't given the matter any thought yet.
  • Kagome has two pet hamsters (both female), named Yuriko and Chinami.

And the others:

Ramona Jackson practically lives in the cockpit of her replica Arrow, Avril; there's no room for a pet in one of those.

Maico Tange is just barely getting by; she can't afford to keep a pet... although she'd love to be able to afford one (maybe a cat).

Naoko Sato has a pet rabbit, which she's named Usagi.

(And Eimi occasionally tries to keep a virtual tamagotchi alive, without much success...)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Jasmine (the Pikachu) is Alice Whistler's, but since she's at school most days it's a 50/50 chance Jasmine's hanging round 'Old Man' Whistler in the Supers Q branch. She's most definitely modded, and sapient.

Ben Rhodes (and The Roughriders) have a Jugganaught-modded dog.

There are probably a lot of cats in Fenspace, mainly because most ships have a cat to cut down on rodents. But you can probably count the Senshi as a faction that would have a lot of cats.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Wizards have tried to bring up Owls, although they probably have to make do with animatonic ones (or just plain drones) as modding one for space capability (not to mention BREEDING them) would be very tricky, and a Virgil Samms type suit/ship that an Owl can use is a bit far fetched even for Fenspace.

Other than that, anything *_USEFUL_* is probably up the well, but if you can prove that no Pinky and The Brain have been created in the black A.C. will be your most enthusiatic girlfriend. (You won't last a week, but damn. Fortunately you can't prove a negative, so you're safe.)

Grover's Corners -- "Well, geeze, guys, no one's ever counted."

Dozens of chickens. A herd of horses. At least a dozen wild deer. Hundreds(?) of wild birds. Half a dozen dogs, at least twenty cats. Whatever rodentia and other small critters normally inhabit 250 acres of mixed farrm- and woodland.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Well the background ship that my avatar's friend's run has a ship's cat, though they went up with a lot more space than someone who just waved a
car. They've also got some fish tanks and ant farms (they figured it was a more space efficient way of getting protein than trying to raise cattle).

I can't remember any specific examples but I'd be very surprised if there weren't some uplifted animals in Fenspace, either deliberately made or
otherwise. Remember, put a lid on the guacamole.

As for characters:

F's of the opinion that as long as you're not mistreating the animal its none of his business really. And confining, say a German Sheppard in
something the size of a Chevette for days on end counts as mistreating.

Grey doesn't care much one way or the other, but that budgie looks kind of tasty

--

"Down with the Himalaya! Reunite Gondwanaland!" "Splitter! Reunite

Pangaea!" "Terra-ist! Down with planets! Reunite the accretion

layer!"

-- Wolfgang Schelongowski, Peter da Silva and Christian Bauernfeind

One of the bits I've posted for Babylon .5 involved a test case for raising pigs on the station, only the hog ended up being fed some wavium unhanced slop.
Porky now walks around on his hind legs and talks with a stutter.

Greenwood is host to a number of cats, especially in Marsden's residential areas. Residents of Greenwood City are fully permitted to keep what reasonable
pets they wish; birds, cats, dogs, and hamster-types are commonplace.

In addition, each ship in the GSS fleet has one or more Ship's Cats. It is the official business position of the management that rodents are a universal
factor in human existence, and a self-perpetuating automatic means of suppressing them is entirely desireable.

Rumors that Greenwood Cats are enhanced or biomodded in some manner tend to travel; staff politely avoid answering such questions.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

The Roadhouse and Savage Memorial Stadium Complex have at least three cats roaming about. The Cavaliers keep also several bearded dragons and a few more
esoteric pets. Part of the complex's life support is a ecosystem involving a number of aquatic plants and the colonies of fish and other life that help
keep the system balanced, and part of this system serves as a series of aquariums.

The Armory has few actual pets, since Tico and several other members of the Rugsuckers have serious allergies to animal dander and dust (the irony of their
name in this case is not lost on them). Also, hair and other particulate matter causes problems in the fabrication areas. Electronics are bad enough, but if a
stray cat hair gets into a batch of 'wavium, entire projects may have to be scrapped. (Blackstone: "Why, exactly, is that pursuit interceptor
meowing?" Tico: "You really don't want to know. Trust me. I didn't know, and they told me, and I didn't want to know. So you don't
want to know, either.")

Other members of the Blue Blazers may or may not have pets. As there are more than 2,000 of them on the Global Frequency alone (to say nothing of associate
members), going into detail would be tedious and a bit pointless.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Quote: Ebony wrote:

(Blackstone: "Why, exactly, is that pursuit interceptor meowing?" Tico: "You really don't want to know. Trust me. I didn't know, and
they told me, and I didn't want to know. So you don't want to know, either.")
Heh. When she's purring like a Kitten, she's really PURRING...
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Quote:Heh. When she's purring like a Kitten, she's really PURRING...
Hey, there's a truck somewhere in the lower-48 (most likely in the possession of TSAB by now) that purrs and gets 100 MPG. Doug Sangnoir saw video of it when he visited Stellvia.

Anyway... Back to the topic at paw, er, hand.

I suspect that a good fraction of the inhabitants of Fenspace brought their pets along. There's no reason why some of the smaller animals would be left behind.

The larger animals, or the ones that need room to exercise, would likely have been left with friends back in the 'Danelaw. Unless one brought along the entire back 40 (cue The Island and Crover's Corners), in which case, the more the merrier.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Quote: Cobalt Greywalker wrote:

Ben Rhodes (and The Roughriders) have a Jugganaught-modded dog.
Heh. Yeah, good old Oliver. Of course, since he's a Pembroke Welsh Corgi, that means he also has access to the Data Dog quirk. Oliver
happily joins the Senshi in smash-n-grab ops where data retrieval from secure systems is needed. Other fun features are that despite his newfound degree of
sapience, he's still very much a dog. Also very security conscientous as he feels that it is his duty to ensure that the peremeters set by his packmates
are maintained. This includes checking out all guests and vistors, as well as their space craft, as the enter and leave the base.