• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[story] Cosmic Party
[story] Cosmic Party
OOC: Warning: Work In Progress.

Private Hangar
Old Ring, Stellvia
19:14 GMT 22 March 2014

"Welcome home, Mom and Dad!"

The happy couple gave Kohran a hug. "Don't call me 'mom', please," Leda complained. "I'm only seven years older than you are!"

"I don't care. I've never really had a mother before, unless you count A.C. I like having a mom."

Noah added, "And it's not as if there isn't precedent for this in the Senshi. Or at least in your inspirational anime."

"Usagi and Chibi-Usa?" Noah nodded, and Leda continued. "I guess you can call me 'mom', then. But only in private."

"Yay! So, what did you bring me, mom?" Kohran asked with an impish grin.

As Leda and Kohran walked off, Noah turned to Yayoi. "Thanks for keeping my station in one piece while I was gone."

"You're welcome. Although this isn't a job I want on a full-time basis."

"Too busy to fly?"

"That, too. I had to play peacemaker on the SMOF mailing list; too many people wanted to go to Washington with guns blazing and rescue Mal from the Congressional Committee he spoke with while you were on honeymoon."

"Good thing I asked you to get contingency plan #3 ready, then. What did you tell the list?"

"That you'd be back tomorrow, your standing instructions were that we don't start hostilities against any Earthside country, and that we are not preparing to re-arm."

He nodded. "Good. Any word from Mal or Sora about that mess, by the way?"

"Sora was in Australia, talking with some Germans about something that Kohran followed but I couldn't. She said they were both okay. Mal hasn't called yet, but I think he was waiting until you got back."

"That's awfully considerate of him. Is there any reason why I shouldn't call him as soon as I get back to my office?"

Yayoi stopped smiling. "Takami's waiting for you in the boardroom. She's got the bug-stomper with her."

"Oh, dear."

Boardroom
Old Ring, Stellvia
22:11 GMT 22 March 2014

"I'm fascinated by this code. Dismayed, and disgusted, but fascinated."

Takami nodded. "I feel the same way. It is an elegant piece of code. Even though it's designed to rob me of my free will."

"Are you sure it came from Yuu's memory banks?"

"We're positive. Kohran caught it first, presumably because she was actually working on Yuu. It took two days to spread from her to the rest of us."

"And thus has the other shoe dropped. Oh, shit... Exactly when was Kohran infected?"

"The day after Sora and A.C. left. Don't worry about that; it's confined to the station's autonomous-mobility AIs. This part of the code," Takami pointed to a screen, "keeps it from migrating to any other sort of AI. And this part," she pointed to another screen, "keeps it from infecting Greenpeace, or any AI that regularly comes into contact with Greenpeace."

Noah grimaced. "So whoever did it was targeting us. And they were smart enough to not pull A.C. and half of Fenspace into the mess."

Takami shook her head. "Not by hurting Greenpeace, no. But do you really think the Hacker Underspace would have sat still when I went offline? Or A.C. wouldn't have gotten involved when Kohran was suborned?"

"Right. What have you done to prevent this from turning all of you into drone units?"

Takami pushed her current laptop aside and reached for another one. "Here's the countermeasure that Kagome and I decided on and have already implemented. The virus left our ears functional, presumably so we could receive orders - the counter-program will deactivate the virus and restore full functionality to us when you or Leda speak this code word." She showed him the screen.

Noah nodded. "I see. That's something I'll remember because I've watched the anime a dozen times, and it's not something I'm likely to say in casual conversation because none of you are based on any characters from the anime. But..."

"But?"

"You could have picked something that didn't remind me of my relationship with Yoriko."

"Kohran suggested it, sir. She said it's because of your previous relationship with Nikaido-san that it was appropriate."

"I'm going to have to have a talk with my daughter about appropriate codewords, then."

Meg's
Main Concourse, Stellvia
12:27 GMT 3 April 2014

Yuu put her drawing pad down on the table, being careful not to place it anywhere near any food or drink. "Done!"

"Mind if I take a look at it?" asked Miyuri.

"Not yet, okay? I want to print it up and sell it at the next Comic Party." Yuu blinked. "But there isn't really a Comic Party, is there? That's just something the me that I'm based on took part in."

"I like that - 'the me that I'm based on'. Let me talk to Mr. Scott about this..."

Main operations room, Stellvia
13:11 GMT 3 April 2014

"If you'd asked three days ago, I would have said 'yes'. But I've got my hands full with setting up the Artemis Corporation. Dad must have pulled a few strings to get NASA to accept my offer."

"Or maybe NASA wanted out of the space-transport business altogether to get Kellerman off their backs, and you were stupid enough to give them a way out," Jake suggested.

"Or both," added Miyuri.

Noah glared at both of them. "Thank you, Duty Officer, ATC Officer. That makes me feel so much better." He sighed, then continued. "I never got this kind of chatter in the ops room when Patty was ATC Officer. Maybe I should call her back from the construction site for Ring Four, and send you there in her place."

"But then I wouldn't have had the chance to ask you to hold a comic market in Meg's so Yuu could sell her new doujinshi," complained Miyuri.

"My point exactly."

Yayoi put her hand on Noah's shoulder. "Noah, consider how much disruption would be caused if something were to happen to many of Stellvia's senior staff during a hectic event such as a comic market."

"That would be a disaster... Oh, I see what you mean. All right, but you're in charge of it."

Yayoi smiled. "I'll tell Yuu the good news."

To: all-call@nation.fan
Subject: [Event] New doujin show and sale - space available for artists
Date Posted: April 4th, 2014

Stellvia Corporation is pleased to announce the first annual "Cosmic Party" doujin show and sale, to be held at Meg's on Stellvia on Saturday, May 31. Anyone wishing to rent a table to sell their doujinshi or models (non-anamatronic only for the first show, please) is invited to contact the event administration at bookings@cosmicparty.fen

For more information, and a schedule of events (including the Cosmic Party Cosplay Contest), please visit sww.cosmicparty.fen

Buy your Cosmic Party admission pass before May 1 and get 10% off at the Hotel Stellvia!

Cosmic Party: The Greatest Comic Sale Off Earth!

Family Lounge
Old Ring, Stellvia
17:53 GMT 4 April 2014

"Yayoi, did you forget that we have people on staff who write advertising for us?"

"I didn't want the announcement to look too professional, Noah."

OOC: More later, maybe before the end of the week. Anybody want their characters to be present as artists, cosplayers, or shoppers when the "fun" starts?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Dr. Clay's laboratory
Asteroid 2462 Nehalennia
14:12 GMT 5 April 2014

Her eyes snapped open. "What happened to me?"

Naoko Sato cleared her throat as she walked into her companion's field of view. "You were used as an experimental test subject. Completely without my knowledge, I assure you."

"Test subject ... for what?"

"One of your underlings decided you were the perfect subject to test the puppet virus on."

"I see. Did it work?"

"Splendidly. I've installed it in the android you built last month and sent her off to Stellvia."

"I built an android last month?"

"We had to wipe all of your memories and restore them from a backup made before you were infected with the virus. You've lost five weeks of memories, Dr. Clay."

Agatha scowled. "I hate when that happens. The underling who decided to use me as a test subject ...?"

Naoko smiled that thin smile she'd learned from La Mariposa. "... is now on Mars. Specifically, he's on three and a half acres outside of Helium."

"Good to know he's still useful. Since I'm missing over a month's worth of memories, do we have any operations active against Scott and his fembots that I need to know about?"

Naoko still thought "fembot" was an odd choice of words for her associate to use, considering she was one of them herself, but knew from experience not to comment on it. "We do, and they've actually advanced the plot against them for us." She showed her associate the previous day's newsfeed...

Storage cavern 37
Wonderland
09:39 GMT 11 May 2014

"Thanks again for the help, Jason."

"Don't thank me, Noah, thank Iris. She's doing most of the work."

"But you could have told her 'no'. And the two of us did the heavy lifting before Iris' telepresence rig was set up here."

"Since you put it that way, you're welcome. I'm curious, though; this is a technical job, not a biological one. Why did you approach Iris and me?"

Noah smiled. "Because Iris has a talent for what I need done here."

After a brief moment, Jason smiled as well.

OOC: Sorry about the delay and the brevity of the update. I've been battling a cold which has left me too tired to write, but even this little bit should be enough to advance the plot and provide some much-needed background. More later...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012