Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[META] If somebody's looking for something to write about...

Category pages need Category tags at the bottom of their pages in order to show up in other categories. (Otherwise, they end up being listed on the http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... Categories]Uncategorized categories page.)

No worries; I've categorized the new category.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Ah. Okay. Thanks.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Anybody want to take a stab at fleshing out a brand-new Fenspace Infinities location?

http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=Odyssey]Odyssey is now in the FenWiki. The station has a commander, but it could use some crew. (Don't forget to include a catgirl. And a Trekkie, serving as liaison from Starbase 1. Heck, make her a Trekkie catgirl, but don't name her M'Ress.) And some descriptive flavor text. And... well, just about everything, except an image (which is somewhere in my archives, but it's long past my bedtime right now so I'll look for it tomorrow).
--
Rob Kelk

New pages with new data:
And by judicious yet liberal use of redirection pages and editing existing links to point to other existing pages, I've brought the number of wanted pages down to below 260. Mind you, the number of stub pages has increased...
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:And... well, just about everything, except an image (which is somewhere in my archives, but it's long past my bedtime right now so I'll look for it tomorrow).

If it's the image I think you mean, a) it's still in my ImageShack account, and b) please please please don't use that! It's horrible, the product of a diseased mind. I'm sure I can come up with something better.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

Okay, I'll wait.

(Although I did like the geodesic-sphere-as-core idea...)
--
Rob Kelk

By moving data from older general-topic pages to new specific-topic pages, I've brought the number of wanted pages down to 246 and the number of broken-redirect pages down to zero. Of course, the number of stub pages has increased as a result...

I've also put an image on the http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... ional_Park]Tranquility Base National Park page (one of the new stubs).

Edit: Oh, and all the existing Main Belt asteroid pages now have infoboxes.
--
Rob Kelk

They are probably working on an undersea base as well.

Just be careful not to wave any sharks or you might end up with a Deep Blue situation. 8P

*edit: Doh! Deep Blue Sea situation. *

You'd end up with sharks that can http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Blue_(chess_computer)]beat Garry Kasparov at chess?
--
Rob Kelk

...Actually, that would be kinda cool. Chess-playing biomodded sharks.

...which for some reason I am envisioning as communicating in Jewish accents. I don't know why. Must be the late hour.
-- Bob
---------

Suddenly, Ed'Rashekaresket comes to mind, a sort of anti-hero from Diane Duane's Deep Wizardry. He was an ancient shark who was most probably the first of his kind, and he had an outrageously, wickedly, dry sense of humor.
"Oh, don't sing surprise at me, young ones. I know the human names of those cities very well. After all, you are what you eat."
Of course, there was also the intimidation factor. One of the intrepid heroes of the story is wearing the form of a Sperm Whale, and Ed warns him that unlike taking him in two bites as he would with his friend (masquerading as a Hump Back Whale) he would take his time, first breaking whale's jaw, and then tearing out the tongue. He even goes on to mention that it is considered something of a delicacy amongst sharks. Shades of Hanibal Lector, anyone?
And yes, he had the size to back it up. The main protagonist (Hump Back) thought that Ed could have eaten the shark from Jaws and still have enough room to work her in for dessert!

Updated the Gagarin-class starship entry with a proper image and changed the stats to reflect what the "real" measurements are. It's... a bit bigger than I initially esitmated (750 foot wingspan, aiee).
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

Bob Schroeck Wrote:...Actually, that would be kinda cool. Chess-playing biomodded sharks.

...which for some reason I am envisioning as communicating in Jewish accents. I don't know why. Must be the late hour.
If it's any consolation, I was imagining them with Brooklyn accents...
--
Rob Kelk

So we split the difference and give them Brooklyn Jewish accents.
-- Bob
---------

Sounds good.

Who's writing them up? (I'm writing LoGG and cleaning up the FenWiki, you're writing DW V and DW XIII...)

Oh, yes... speaking of "cleaning up the FenWiki," today's project was getting http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=The_Island]The Island off the "Pages in need of cleanup" list. All the Island's ships and all but five of their named crew have infoboxes now, too. (Considering how many characters and ships are in that business, The Island really should have a portal box...)

In the process, I got rid of another dead link by pointing it to a live page instead of a non-existent page with a slightly different name. Folks, please http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... l:AllPages]double-check page names before you link to them.
--
Rob Kelk

Y'know, I could have spent this evening watching You're Under Arrest Season 2 Box 1, or listening to Herb Alpert: Definitive Hits, or writing Legend of Galactic Girls, or (this one's the most appealing right now) catching up on my sleep. But instead I just made sure that each and every character writeup in the FenWiki has a character infobox, adding them to the pages that lacked them.

You're welcome.

I only had to cheat and put a "stub" infobox (one with only the character's name and nationality) onto http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=Murphy_Murphy]one page; there was usually enough data somewhere else in the wiki to provide at least one other infobox line. On the flip side, I was never able to come anywhere near matching http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... ypse_Fnord]this detailed infobox.

And I discovered that, yes, it is possible to http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... ison_Dobbs]put two character infoboxes on the same page and have it look good.

Oh, and I stubbed pages for Sparky and "Doc" Raven, completing the Hephaestus crew roster.

BTW, and speaking of infoboxes... I didn't do http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... tory_Ga-38]this one, so that line is Not My Fault. (Even if, ultimately, it is.)

Edit: Anyone who can make the color scheme of http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... Hephaestus]this "portal" look more metallic is welcome to do so.
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:Who's writing them up? (I'm writing LoGG and cleaning up the FenWiki, you're writing DW V and DW XIII...)
Well, I just put a dummy page in place with notes extracted from this thread. I'll clean it up and expand it properly Sometime Soon.
-- Bob
---------

We're now down to 211 wanted pages...

New pages from me (some from material collated from other pages, some from my archives, three from my fevered imagination):
Updated pages from me (not counting adding crosslinks or fixing typos):
(Edit: And, since I keep misreading "Nekomi Institute of Technology" as "Nekomimi Institute of Technology", it's time to go to bed...)
--
Rob Kelk

We're now down to 205 wanted pages. Slowly but surely, we're getting rid of red links...

There's a mixed bag of new pages today, half of which have to do with the Red Planet Not Appearing In LoGG:
--
Rob Kelk

Today's work was primarily "cleanup" - almost all the images now have relevant category tags, and three pages are no longer in need of cleanup. I did manage one new page (and a new image for a page I cleaned up), though...

Pages No Longer In Need of Cleanup:
New Page: --
Rob Kelk

If you'd like a better pic of the Vespa 150 TAP, one can be found here: http://www.bikeexif.com/vespa-150-tap

robkelk Wrote:
  • Winry's Vespa (this is the one with the image... and it wasn't easy to find an image of a Vespa with a spinal-mount weapon!)
(O_oWink
Gawd daaaiiiyum!  Like Tankgirl Meets Furi-Kuri...
Actually, that's not much of a stretch of the imagination, now that I think about it.

Duane Peters Wrote:If you'd like a better pic of the Vespa 150 TAP, one can be found here: http://www.bikeexif.com/vespa-150-tap
Looks good... but I can't find any copyright information for it. I really don't want to saddle Fenspace with a Creative Commons Share-Alike licence by mistake if I can possibly help it, nor do I want to get Mal in trouble for hosting somebody else's copyrighted works. (If he chooses to put somebody else's copyrighted works on his own server, though, that's his lookout...)
--
Rob Kelk

Funny thing is... that's not a custom job... that was actually factory produced by the manufacturer for the Italian Army
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

The one I found was for the French Army - don't know whether it was a factory or custom job, but apparently there were 800 of them...
--
Rob Kelk