Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[META] If somebody's looking for something to write about...

Well, don't forget that the Roughriders primary theater of operations was in their back yard. I don't think it would be unfair to say that they were a major contributor to captured bases and inteligence reports.
ETA: And just now I suddenly had an idea about Ben, Gina and the Midnight going off on a patrol of the Belt on their own and getting into several wild messes and meeting all kinds of cool people and familiar faces along the way.

Cobalt Greywalker Wrote:The list goes as follows (in order of discovery):

Boskone One (codename 'The Farm'): The staging post of the Serenity Valley attack, Boskone Alliance primary transportation hub and major slaver base.
Boskone Two (codename 'Shipwreck Island'): Boskonian Alliance chief shipyards.
Boskone Three (codename 'Greenland'): Chief Thionite production facility.
Boskone Four (codename 'Jusenkyou'): Boskonian Alliance chief R&D base.
Boskone Five (a.k.a. 'The Hell Hole in Space'): Original Boskonain Alliance base, now training base.
Boskone Prime (codename 'The Black Tower'): Boskonian Alliance C&C/Meeting Place/Bolt-Hole/Neutral Ground.

(Theoretically, 2462 Nehalennia is Boskone Six, but someone has to discover that).
Okay, so La Mariposa's dome two kilometers north of Little Jakarta is named "Greenland". I can live with that.

Edit: Or, no, it isn't - it was found before the attack on Serenity Valley.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Ok, revised timeline, still with blank bits, and the question of when should Serenity Con happen?
* '''March 2012''' Several major factions send scouts to the [[Main Belt] to investigate missing ships and rumours from the [[Wizards] and [[Ninja]
* '''7 May 2012''' [[SOS-con] held at [[Port Phobos], founding of [[Great Justice]
* '''9 January 2013''' The fall of [[Crystal Osaka].
* '''16-19 May 2013''' Tensions between the [[SOS-dan] and [[Noah Scott] boil over.  [[Great Justice|OGJ's] headquarters evicted from [[Stellvia].  They re-establish themselves at [[Grover's Corners].
* '''29 May 2013 - 5 June 2013''' The [[Interdimensional Incursion Incident] and the creation of the [[Whole Fenspace Catalog].
* '''xxx 2013''' The [[Soviet Air Force] expands in the face of the war, founding their Extra Terrestrial Combat Command (X-COM) and the MARS units.
* '''September 2013''' Serenity-con is attacked by reavers, [[Great Justice|OGJ] reorganized, the [[Space Patrol] split off.
* '''xxx 2013''' Fleet Operation Attila, [[Great Justice] captures ''Boskone One''.
* '''xxx 2013''' The [[Soviet Air Force]'s [[Delta Pavonis] expedition departs.
* '''January 2014''' Boskone Prime falls. First instance of the [[Fen Sports#The Port Phobos Invitational|Port Phobos Invitational].
--
A species willing to implement RFC1149 has already proven itself without shame.
   - David Cameron Staples

"OGJ" redirects to "Great Justice"; you don't need to specify the link in the September 2013 line.

(For that matter, "reavers" redirects to "Boskonians"...)

As for Serenity-Con, I'm thinking mid-to-late August would be a good time for it. Worldcons usually happen around that time of year, if I recall correctly, and that would give the folks taking part in the Delta Pavonis mission enough time to attend the Con and still make their destination before the end of the year.
--
Rob Kelk

With the updating of http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=Kohran_Li]one image and the addition of http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=Yuki_Nagato]two http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=Mikuru_Asahina]others, I am now at the limit of being able to upload wanted files from my collection or my own work. (This doesn't mean I'm finished uploading photos, though; Yayoi needs a better image.)

This means http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... antedFiles]we're now down to a mere seven wanted files.

I expect that Ga-38.jpg will eventually materialize from Mal's sketchpad/tablet/render software/whatever, since it's a "Soviet" craft. As for the other six wanted files:

I'm assuming a Haruhi completest would have figures of Itsuki Koizumi, Kyon, and Ryoko Asakura that could be photographed. I, however, am not a Haruhi completest.

The only Nene Romanova figure I have is of the redhead, not the blonde. (There's no school like old school... )

As for Miyu Glear, I don't even know what anime she's from; I certainly don't have a figure of her in my collection.

That leaves Starbase 1.jpg - anybody feel up to the challenge? It's been described as the first Fen station, with a "Custom modular" design, so it shouldn't look like anything out of the Trek technical manuals. (I'm thinking it might look like a cross between kudzu and shipping containers... but that might be too kludged.)
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:As for Miyu Glear, I don't even know what anime she's from; I certainly don't have a figure of her in my collection.
Miyu is from the Mai-HiME/Mai-Otome universe, and not someone you really want on your bad side.

Now, all I have to do is prevent myself coming up with a reason to have Alyssa Searrs appear...

(Honestly, I'm semi-sure the series aren't your cup of tea Rob. Although Yukino would tick a fair few of your boxes... ANYway, they're interesting enough in my opinion.)

Cobalt Greywalker Wrote:Now, all I have to do is prevent myself coming up with a reason to have Alyssa Searrs appear...
I know what that's like. I just finished re-watching an anime from a little over a decade ago, and have come up with the perfect way to introduce one of the characters from it into Fenspace... but, gosh-darn it, Noah's built too many assistants as it is. Even if OGJ could really use another good combat pilot.

Edit: Looks like I'm not the only one revisiting that anime... http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/02/2 ... akihabara/]Sankaku Complex link - the story's safe, but the sidebars aren't
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:The only Nene Romanova figure I have is of the redhead, not the blonde. (There's no school like old school... )
I suppose I should blow the dust off my graphics stuff here, and work on one for that. And then sign up for an account on the Wiki.
Now, do I want to use Aiko in Poser, or my digital tablet in Manga Studio?
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

Well, since I seem to have at least partially addressed the timeline
issues and no other major objections have been raised I've added the
Boskone War page to the wiki.
--
There's a certain radio station located just outside a
certain Boston suburb that puts about 7 V/m through nearby homes. 
I'm not sure whether FCC rules would permit the construction of heating
systems based on tuned coils.... - GAWollman

I just tidied up the Boskone War page, correcting a few typos ("whose" instead of "who's", for instance), moving a paragraph from the start of the History section to the end, and cleaning up some of the links (so they don't point to disambiguation pages, for example).

But that's a much easier job that writing the article was...
--
Rob Kelk

Ebony Wrote:
blackaeronaut Wrote:Hrm... Have we decided how Boskone Prime's location was determined?

If I may offer a suggestion, the Banzai Institute maintains one of the most detailed information networks in Fenspace, with the Global Frequency touching on all divisions of society, both on Earth and in space. Add to that the Underspace Network that Buckaroo is a member of, and you have a data gathering and analysis group on par with government intelligence agencies. If the Boskonians are making profit, they have to sell somewhere, and that makes waves. Someone will hear it, and someone will tell someone else, and sooner or later, the Blue Blazers find out. From there, it's a matter of data analysis and statistical projection.
I like that. I've just added it to the Hacker Underspace wiki page.
--
Rob Kelk

While waiting for long enough that everybody has a chance to chime in on the Solar Credit / biomass matter over in the "Bank of Sol" thread, I've pulled together some loose data and created a page for http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... al_Seattle]Crystal Seattle. It isn't much of a page, but it doesn't really need to be. Unless, of course, somebody else wants to flesh out the location.

I've also pointed most of the links that were pointing at disambiguation pages to the specific pages instead. (Most, not all - it looks like we might actually need articles for the Three Graces and Alpha Centuari, as well as all of the individual pages for those subjects...)
--
Rob Kelk

Oh, cool! Seattle was my favorite city in Washington. You can bet that Fenspace!Ben is gonna be seen around there on his off-days. (^_^)

Since I wrote that page, I've discovered that the gaming convention http://www.paxsite.com/paxprime/]PAX is held in Seattle. I've already mentioned that Crystal Seattle is the roleplaying gamers' hangout, and I can't imagine the Penny Arcade folks not heading Up, at least as repeat tourists.

PAX is in early September, and PAX East is in March, so I would guess PAX Venus would be in either June or December, and December is family-holiday time almost everywhere. So, I think this means we have a new entry for the Fenspace Calendar for the last weekend of June...
--
Rob Kelk

New stuff!

The http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=Handwavium]Handwavium page says solid handwavium "is flat-black or crystal-grey and has the ability to generate and regulate energy". As with most truly-obvious things, it took me this long to realize that the Trekkies have a name for crystals that generate and regulate energy... I've added the nickname "dilithium" to that writeup.

My http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... lk:Robkelk]Talk Page now has a list of links to pages and files that need work or creation.

And I've tossed a couple of paragraphs onto the http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=FenWiki:About]About FenWiki page that's linked to from every FenWiki page.

Mal gets to write the "Privacy policy" page, because the wiki is his baby. As for the "Disclaimers" page, what do we want on it?
--
Rob Kelk

I got tired of waiting - we now have text of the http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... disclaimer]Disclaimers page.

More seriously, I've added some information to the http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... c_Republic]Galactic Republic and http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=Mos_Eisley]Mos Eisley pages, including a description of the occasionally-mentioned "Kuat Drive Yards" and a brief mention of the whole "Rogue Squadron" / "Rouge Squadron" mess (which didn't exist until I started editing the FenWiki today).

Edit: And I've stubbed the http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=Jedi_Academy]Jedi Academy page.
--
Rob Kelk

Hrm... What would the Fennish Jedi be like? I mean there is obviously going to be several sub-factions among them.
Here's what I can think of right off the top of my head.
Light Faction - Obviously, our Light-Side Jedi. They don't care very much for any Dark-Siders at all.
Dark Faction - Consisting mostly of 'Dark Jedi' and Sith. They don't care very much for Light Siders either.
Sith Faction - Exclusively Sith, and the smallest faction. They are actually out to eliminate all Jedi, just on general principal. Commonly held to be a few pieces short of a lightsaber.
And finally...
Balanced Force Faction - Jedi and Sith working together to ensure that good is done all around and that a Jedi War does not happen. They're not the largest sub-faction, but they definitely have their act together and they are the ones that can be most trusted to do what has to be done.  Tasks are generally delegated to those that are well suited. (IE: a Sith team is dispatched for cloak-and-dagger operations but a Jedi team is dispatched to handle a diplomatic dispute.)

I rather think that like the Dark Senshi, there's Sith and then there's Sith: a small-but-noticable portion of the Dark Fraction are actually Sith-flavoured Boskonians.

(If you don't recognise me, that's because I tend to lurk, and I'm a newcomer to the Drunkard's Walk fora: this is my first post here.)

Welcome to the forums, Proginoskes! Feel free to jump in on any of the discussions.

I think you have the right of it - while all Warsie Boskonians are Sith, not all Sith are Boskonians.

(Oh, yes - I've (finally) updated the http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=Bank_of_Sol]Bank of Sol and http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=Luna]Luna wiki pages. It's not Warsie-related, but it is a wiki update, however minor.)
--
Rob Kelk

Not something to write, but rather to edit: I just (for sufficiently large values of "just", since I got a solid 6 hours of sleep immediately after) copy-pasted Surfing With the Alien 2 into FenWiki and have done absolutely nothing in terms of adding categories, links on other pages, or wiki markup.
EDIT: I've just (this time as in "a few seconds ago") added the three most obvious categories (Fiction, Season Zero, and Stories by ClassicDrogn). The story itself is still in dire need of attention from someone who knows what stories are supposed to look like on FenWiki.

Proginoskes Wrote:The story itself is still in dire need of attention from someone who knows what stories are supposed to look like on FenWiki.
You did a pretty good job of it; all I needed to do was list the author credit, put the subtitle in the right place, italicize a few names, and fix a few typos. Which I've just finished doing, BTW.

I've also added the story to the list of Season 0 stories, pulled some data out of it and added that to the entry for Starbase 1, and added you to the Fenspace Collective list. (You've got a FenWiki account; that's good enough for me...)
--
Rob Kelk

I added some more system notes to Epsilon Indi, mostly planet names and interesting features.

Also, does anybody know who or what's created a user account named "AssaCom"? The handle isn't familiar & I'm kinda curious...
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

M Fnord Wrote:I added some more system notes to Epsilon Indi, mostly planet names and interesting features.
Hmmmmm... The way you've described the system, I'd suspect Tenniel of being a captured planet, rather than one that was always part of the system. Might be worth a Serious Astronomy mission to find out for sure.
M Fnord Wrote:Also, does anybody know who or what's created a user account named "AssaCom"? The handle isn't familiar & I'm kinda curious...
Whoever it is, hasn't done anything with the account yet...
--
Rob Kelk

Just because I could, I've slapped together a stub page for http://fenspace.net/index.php5?title=Serenity_Valley]Serenity Valley. Anybody - say, somebody who's actually seen more than a couple of episodes of Firefly, and thus knows the right vibe - want to flesh it out into a proper page?
--
Rob Kelk

Well, I finally got off my ass, registered, and put up a page for Babylon .5 Station. 8P