Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[story][Fenspace Alternates] The South Is Rising, Someone Get A Hammer
An Australian response
Bob Schroeck Wrote:And yes, what is the international response to the sudden replacement of North America?  The US has more than a few enemies who might just take advantage of a moment like this, that's obvious, but what about allies and neutrals?  Surely Fenspace isn't that much quicker on the uptake than the international community.

The Australian government response publicly is going to business as usual for the time being, privately: it's Brown Trousers time! All remaining US forces in the pacific would be offered any spare & free berths on Australian bases, all Australian forces overseas would be recalled, the reservists activated, every decommissioned & obsolete bit of military hardware stored & not pilfered by Fen issued. Same with the stocks of every gun shop and wholesaler in the country. All the while dusting off the blueprints for equipment we can build with no US assistance and locating sources for the rare component which are still made there.
For we've some neighbours to the nor-north west and some to the very far north who may take the opportunity for score settling the ISOT has afforded them.

"NAZIS!! Not again on my Earth! Where's my Rods From God launcher?"

To: Operation FIREFALL Mailing List (firefall@sovietairforce.fen)

Date: November 23, 2016

Subj: [FIREFALL] Re:Operational Planning

OK. I've been doing some research and the current world situation is a serious nightmare.
First, here's the good news, the new USA and CSA are not, by modern standards, superpowers. Their lower technology, smaller economies and smaller populations mean that they are second line nations at best, at the moment.
However, and while I haven't read the books, I have heard from people who had and it sounds like HT had inflamed hemeroids when he wrote them. We're talking nightmare world. BTW, the Turtledove list is in complete meltdown, with maybe 10 messages every second and a lot of computer failure. Someone needs to get a decent AI on it, if we're going to get anything useful out of it. My perverted piece of junk seems only interested in collecting all the Featherstone slash stories it can find.
The big problem is that something like half the entire world economy was centred round America - either exporting to it or importing or using its banking services. There's already a hell of a lot of confusion about what happens to company ownership. (P.S. we need to support Senator Richardson on his proposal for bridging loans fopr companies that used US banks. He's been nasty to Fen, but that was because we're competing with the Australian mining industry, which include a lot of his constituents, and he's right here.)
Oh, and I'm really wishing that the Anti-Americans were right, because we've just lost the "global policeman". I don't expect the world to immediately go to war, but a lot of old Warsaw Pact countries will have good reason to be nervous, and China's got a very large army and an economy that's just had its teeth kicked it. I'd give very good odds of Japan and South Korea going nuclear, now they don't have the US umbrella.
This is not the time to discuss how important the US support is to Israel, We don't have time for a flamewar and I suspect we're going to find out. If they haven't gone on high alert, they're crazy. We're also talking about no more US support for the Saudi and Egyptian goverments, among others. Basically, some asshole has just lit the fuse for the middle eastern powderkeg.

[I have to stay mostly OOC in this stage of things, as VF is building his Foxfire telepresence for the Golden Age JLI, and I reckon the Pinafore is going to be one of the diplomatic boats to the new USA] A good source for how bad it can get would be John Birmingham's Without Warning. In that novel, he posits a world where the citizens of our USA (and a significant portion of Canada and Mexico] just disappear on the eve of the Second Iraq War. It isn't pretty, folks. At the very least, this is a case of sudden global market crash more than gaping economic hole, but it's still bad.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

From: "Benjamin Rhodes, Roughriders" (blackrider@roughriders.fen)
Time to make the doughnuts!
Sorry I haven't had much to say, but things have happened pretty quickly and HRH Queen Serenity asked us to hold off on an immediate response. Wise woman, her. Besides, I needed the time to get acclimated for a 48-hour sleep-cycle. I'm all set for sleepless nights now.
We also spent some time working on installing the Ojo de Dios package into Midnight. Simply put, there ain't shit they'll be able to hide from us because the Midnight can now read their lips. Literally. Mayonaka is thrilled. Just say the word and we'll be able to dig up all kinds of dirt on these asshats.
Here's some good news: I've heard worries that shit's gonna hit the fan? Well, not as bad as some might think. I mean, don't get me wrong. A lot of forward deployed US Sailors are not gonna get paid here and that';s honestly not cool... but the good news is that THEY ARE STILL HERE!
All the US Bases in Japan are untouched, and let me tell you that is no small amount of firepower. Last I heard, Commander, Naval Forces, Japan has ordered a show of force by having just about anything that can get underway do a quick little tour along the backside of Japan. You know, remind everyone who was still here. May I suggest we get those boys some gas for the tincans and planes? Last I checked, the only nuclear platform there was the good old G-Dub.
Also, Pearl Harbor and Guam are still intact and scratching their heads, but they seem ready to do their jobs. Oh, and who knows how many subs were on Patrol when this went down? We'll know soon enough once they start surfacing to figure out why their ULF sets aren't working. Thank Skuld that we still have a Sub base in Guam. Recent photo-intel indicates that the Frank Gable  is fixing to get underway. Hopefully to get back to doing her old job in the Atlantic.
So, North Korea will probably stay quiet for now while the US Navy's 7th Fleet is holding the fort, though I can't guarantee anything for the Middle East. Ever since the US pulled out of Iraq they simply haven't had the same kind of presence as they did before.
But hey, you know how I feel about these things. If anyone starts to get too pushy we can just offer to drop rocks on their heads. I think the situation has gotten bad enough to warrant it. The warning, that is, not the act. Shit's really gotta go to hell in a handbasket before we do something that has that much collateral damage. (And as we speak, Gina and I are working on a surgical strike version. Let's just say it involves large tungsten-steel poles.)
Anyhow, I got a few ideas that will be especially useful if this drags on. Hell, even if it doesn't I'm sure that they're working on a way to get our USA back... and then we're gonna have their world to contend with as well. (Because leaving a world that produced this fuck-fest-of-a-country alone is not cool.)
-Benjamin Rhodes
Roughriders of 36 Atalante
Would you like blind, broke, or bedlam?

To: smof-politics@smofcon.fen
Subj: Disaster Relief
It surprises me that I'm the first one to bring this up, but it will be an important topic at the Convention and I think we should at least have it be known and recognized before then.
There's a lot of US Servicemen out there right now. Their country, at large, has just disapeared overnight. They are not gonna get paid. Many no longer have contact with families they had back home. And worse of all, the highest levels of their command has gone with them!
First and foremost, I think it is important that it be establish who the highest ranking official is. The last thing we need is for some cluster-fuck over who's in charge.
Second, we need to pick up the slack. The Seventh fleet just lost their bankroll and for the sake of the stability in Asia we need to make sure they can keep their ships in a fighting trim and their sailors fed! (And let's not forget the Army, Airforce, Marines and the Coastgaurd while we're at it.) This is a serious issue because Korea's been threatening to go hot ever since the Cheonon Incident.
Finally, we need to get some grief councilors on the scene, like yesterday. There's a lot of servicemen out there that do not know what has become of their loved ones and that does not make them very effective at their jobs.
If anyone can think of any other issues that need to be addressed, please say so.
-Benjamin Rhodes
Would you like blind, broke, or bedlam?

blackaeronaut Wrote:OOC: In short, persecution of any and all non-white people? Including anyone with a name like Saldana? ... These guys are toast.

Gonna be fun to see the looks on their faces when they see FS!Ben flying the old Texas Standards.
Roughly. Consider Mexican-Confederates to be considered "kinda-white" by the CSA. The real, burning hate is reserved for Blacks. The rest of the racism is pretty much bog standard 1940s bigotry in the South.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat

-- James Nicoll

To: Operation FIREFALL (firefall@sovietairforce.fen)
Date: November 22, 2016
Subj: RE: OUR United States Government

The highest-ranking US government official currently known to be in orbit is the Mayor of Luna City. I've already been in communication with him, and with Caldwell and Dodge. Unless there's a Senator or something honeymooning in Crystal Tokyo, Stellvia, or Tokyo that I'm not aware of, it's either him, or we figure out who's senior among the State Department people in various embassies. At this point I'm considering invoking Clause 17 of the Greenwood City constitution.

--
Chris

(OOC: Clause 17 is the Greenwood City Constitution's declaration of political affiliation with the US, and their intent to eventually seek statehood.)
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

> The highest-ranking US government official currently known to be in
> orbit is the Mayor of Luna City. I've already been in communication with
> him, and with Caldwell and Dodge. Unless there's a Senator or something
> honeymooning in Crystal Tokyo, Stellvia, or Tokyo that I'm not aware of,
> it's either him, or we figure out who's senior among the State
> Department people in various embassies.

No USGov personnel were vacationing at Stellvia or Odyssey on 18-19
November.

Related to that, I'm sure that Col. Caldwell has already compared notes
between Pearl Harbor, Guam, Okinawa, Brussels, Baghdad, Kabul, Kandahar,
1625 The NORC, Benjamin Franklin Station, and wherever else I've
forgotten about, and found the highest-ranking US officer still present.
Who's the acting Chief of Staff, Colonel?

> All the US Bases in Japan are untouched, and let me tell you that is no
> small amount of firepower. Last I heard, Commander, Naval Forces, Japan
> has ordered a show of force by having just about anything that can get
> underway do a quick little tour along the backside of Japan. You know,
> remind everyone who was still here. May I suggest we get those boys some
> gas for the tincans and planes? Last I checked, the only nuclear
> platform there was the good old G-Dub.

Stellvia Corporation's fuel division, StellOil, will make available
whatever fuel we can supply and the US Navy, Air Force, Army, Marines,
and what's left of the Coast Guard need at no charge until we get our
USA back. (I'll ask for payment then, but that's down the road.)

Most of you have seen the refueling options available at Stellvia and
Odyssey. For those few who haven't, we can supply 89-octane gasoline,
diesel, avgas, Jet A-1 (works just like Jet A but has a lower freezing
point), and a limited amount of bunker oil (originally for the Inelegant
Truth) and JP-7 (originally for the Roughriders' Blackbirds)
immediately. Anything else, or large supplies of bunker oil, will
require setting up new refining plants at Crystal Titusville, so tell us
now before the current supplies run out. (At this rate, StellviaCorp is
going to end up owning Crystal Titusville outright, considering how much
infrastructure StellOil already owns there...)

> But hey, you know how I feel about these things. If anyone starts to get
> too pushy we can just offer to drop rocks on their heads. I think the
> situation has gotten bad enough to warrant it. The warning, that is, not
> the act.

StellviaCorp is negotiating with the Solomon Islands to purchase
outright an atoll that nobody will miss, for target practice.

I'll allow *one* pre-announced rock-drop only on that atoll, folks. We
don't need more than one to prove we can hit whatever we want to hit,
and we want to keep the environmental impact to a minimum. (If
Featherston thinks we faked the drop, then and only then we can drop a
second test rock somewhere else.)

> Hell, even if it doesn't I'm sure that they're working on a way to get
> our USA back...

Replace "they" with "StellviaCorp", and you're right.

> Finally, we need to get some grief councilors on the scene, like
> yesterday.

I'll drop a hint to that effect into Buckaroo's in-basket.

> If anyone can think of any other issues that need to be addressed,
> please say so.

Effective immediately, I'm detaching R. Kagome Mishima from Stellvia to
serve with the FIREFALL operational staff. She's an excellent tactician
and strategist; just don't let her talk directly with the enemy. (Or
anyone else not in the loop, for that matter. Her inability to keep
quiet is why she's only an OF-3.)

She can't be the entirety of the FIREFALL operational staff, though;
we're going to need more experts working alongside her.

--
Noah Scott, of station Stellvia
"In any confrontation, your goal must be to win. There is no sense in
pursuing a confrontation in a way that will leave you or your cause
worse off than when it began." - J.D Salinger, March 1999

(OOC: "Crystal Titusville: Birthplace of the Fen Oil Industry" Since we've retconned that StellviaCorp supplies fuel from Venus to Earth, it seems reasonable to retcon the existence of a place above Venus to actually make that fuel, and the Americas Cluster was rather empty...)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

>> The highest-ranking US government official currently known to be in
>> orbit is the Mayor of Luna City. I've already been in communication with
>> him, and with Caldwell and Dodge. Unless there's a Senator or something
>> honeymooning in Crystal Tokyo, Stellvia, or Tokyo that I'm not aware of,
>> it's either him, or we figure out who's senior among the State
>> Department people in various embassies.
>
> No USGov personnel were vacationing at Stellvia or Odyssey on 18-19
> November.
>
> Related to that, I'm sure that Col. Caldwell has already compared notes
> between Pearl Harbor, Guam, Okinawa, Brussels, Baghdad, Kabul, Kandahar,
> 1625 The NORC, Benjamin Franklin Station, and wherever else I've
> forgotten about, and found the highest-ranking US officer still present.
> Who's the acting Chief of Staff, Colonel?
If Hawaii is still intact - thanks SO much for not mentioning that to me until today,
btw - then we have a State Governor, unless he was -away- for some reason?
>> All the US Bases in Japan are untouched, and let me tell you that is no
>> small amount of firepower. Last I heard, Commander, Naval Forces, Japan
>> has ordered a show of force by having just about anything that can get
>> underway do a quick little tour along the backside of Japan. You know,
>> remind everyone who was still here. May I suggest we get those boys some
>> gas for the tincans and planes? Last I checked, the only nuclear
>> platform there was the good old G-Dub.
>
> Stellvia Corporation's fuel division, StellOil, will make available
> whatever fuel we can supply and the US Navy, Air Force, Army, Marines,
> and what's left of the Coast Guard need at no charge until we get our
> USA back. (I'll ask for payment then, but that's down the road.)
Good news on that front, at least.
As far as pay for the sailors goes, I've yanked open the GOTH stash here and
am preparing to begin converting it to cash. Colonel Caldwell, Captain Dodge,
can you get in touch with the CO down there and get me a budget estimate?
I should have enough gold, platinum, and various rare earth metals on hand
to keep things going for a couple of months, at least, and I'm stepping up mining
efforts in the Belt to bring in more.
Re: RockDrops. I feel confident that our USMil associates have things well in hand
on that front; they will be coordinating with Mr. Scott on the demonstration strike.
>> Hell, even if it doesn't I'm sure that they're working on a way to get
>> our USA back...
>
> Replace "they" with "StellviaCorp", and you're right.
If you think my people aren't interested in doing everything possible to assist in this,
you're nuts, Noah. Replace "they" with "all of us".
I'm recalling a fair chunk of the GSS from the belt in prep for offensive operations.
I plan to /offend/ me some Confederates.
--
Chris Marsden
Greenwood State
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

>StellviaCorp is negotiating with the Solomon Islands to purchase

>outright an atoll that nobody will miss, for target practice.

>

>I'll allow *one* pre-announced rock-drop only on that atoll, folks. We

>don't need more than one to prove we can hit whatever we want to hit,

>and we want to keep the environmental impact to a minimum. (If

>Featherston thinks we faked the drop, then and only then we can drop a

>second test rock somewhere else.)

Mind if we do the honors, Noah? This new system we have scales nicely (from "kill that bunker only" to "Hiroshima+Nagasaki") and will be accurate within two meters.

>Effective immediately, I'm detaching R. Kagome Mishima from Stellvia to

>serve with the FIREFALL operational staff. She's an excellent tactician

>and strategist; just don't let her talk directly with the enemy. (Or

>anyone else not in the loop, for that matter. Her inability to keep

>quiet is why she's only an OF-3.)

>

>She can't be the entirety of the FIREFALL operational staff, though;

>we're going to need more experts working alongside her.

I've been of a mind to wake up a new AI for this sort of purpose - the load's been getting to be a bit much for poor little Ruri lately anyhow. I'm thinking of aiming for something along the lines of a Thufer Hawat or a Gurney Halleck. You know, someone with a sense of humor but a definite 'get-it-done' attitude that isn't shy about knifing the baddies in the back when they need deserve it.
>I'm recalling a fair chunk of the GSS from the belt in prep for offensive operations.
>I plan to /offend/ me some Confederates.
Get in line, Chris.  Wink
Speaking of which, FYI all our Peacemakers are on standby.  Just in case.  I know it's a bit early in the game, but you can never be too careful.
-Benjamin Rhodes
Will that be blind, broke, or bedlam?

I'm ahead of you there. A bunch of the "still Americans damnit" browncoats have donated a couple of autofacs to the current US army, and I finished delievering them 35 minutes ago. And I know full well we didn't get permission for that. So they won't be desperate for spares and in a use them or lose them situation. Speaking of which, does anyone know whether Timeline 191 had a Charlie Chaplin? My tramp frieghter could use some more fuel.

Subject: Re: Information which may be useful in the current situation
To: "Noah Scott" (bigcheese@stellvia.lib)
Date: November 22, 2016

> > Fear and panic aside, though, I understand the reasoning here, and I'm
> > grateful that you brought us in on this.
> Thanks. I was afraid I may have frightened you off... and I *need* the
> help of every mage I can find and train.

My concern is that training a mage looks a whole lot more like training an archer
than training a rifleman -- turns out that the fantasy novels that show an apprentice
system for wizards are probably on the money.  Doug's automatic/instinctive magic
was the extremely rare exception, not the rule -- we may take longer to get
someone up to speed than it takes to resolve this situation some other way. 
But that doesn't mean we won't try.

Something to consider -- an AI coupled with a body capable of detecting, tapping
and controlling mana may well be able to use its greater processing speed to
shortcut that.  I had once started to write a story, oh, twenty-five years or so ago,
about an AI mainframe that learned how to do magic; the gendankenexperiments
I did to work out what it might be capable of both impressed and frightened me.
You've had amazing luck with AIs in the past -- maybe with a sample of mage-
active DNA you can quicken one who won't need the lengthy training time a
meat-person would.

> > (a couple more-general instruction manuals from your stash would
> > be appreciated, Noah, when the current crisis is over or in a couple
> > months, whichever comes first)
> Yomiko has access to all of these books, now. Whatever you need, get her
> to print and bind in PS238's office.

Thanks, will do.

> > The magegifted adults, on the other hand, are looking forward to
> > creating their own little chapter of Warriors Alpha here.
> Here's hoping it doesn't come to the point where they'll *need* to
> become Warriors Alpha.

Likewise.  Helen is seriously debating whether or to invoke Hexe directly
or offer her body for an avatar.  Since we know Hexe's True Name (or
at least something close to it), we would at the very least get her attention.
I'm pretty sure that taking an avatar would mess up whatever experiment
she's doing with mortal existence in Warriors' World, so that's not likely to
work.  Asking for help -- and mentioning that Doug's been here -- just might
get us the *actual* Warriors, though.  Do you think we could use a team of
paramilitary supers roughly equivalent to the Justice League in power, with
over twenty years of field experience? 

> How the hell did you know about the research theology texts? No, never
> mind - I already know. (Who's more in a story than it's writer, after
> all?)

Exactly.  Remember, in this time line at least, I coined the term.

If we are going to go that route, btw, I suggest we think very very carefully
about who to contact, and for *what*.  Information would probably be the
best thing to ask for; "please put it back" might get a more negative response,
depending on who we contact.

Um.  Thought.  We may want to get Chris Angel in on this.  His dimensional
counterpart/overself is likely to be sympathetic, and with that we can probably
get the help of the OMG/OMB incarnations of the Three.

> Normally, Id try talking you out of the Harsh Mistress solution... but
> this situation isn't normal.

Agreed.  I know I've talked big about stonethrowing in the past, but this is a
much more serious situation. 

I guess I should also note that Joe and John have 'waved up what amounts to
a guidance system for rockdrops -- slap one of these on a potential meteor and
it turns it into a crude guided missile, basically.  You still have to drop it on the
right general trajectory, but the package then takes over and homes it right in. 
Joe guesstimates an accuracy on the order of 20 yards.  Which, given the
kind of boom we'll get when it hits, is pretty much bullseye.

I'm guessing that we're not the only ones gathering a basket of throwing stones,
so I'll repeat this on the open channel with instructions on how to make'em.

> I don't know. I've tried calling consul Walker three times today, and
> I'm not getting any answer. That's beginning to worry me. I *hope*
> that's because AusGov hasn't come to any decisions yet.

Me, too.  Last thing we need is *anyone* going off half-cocked down there.
Which, of course, means that at least half a dozen someones will. 

Anyway, thanks.

-- Bob

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

GREENWOOD SECURITY SERVICES
FLEET OPERATIONS
TOP SECRET -- TOP SECRET -- TOP SECRET
CLASSIFICATION: EYES ONLY FLTCOM
FM: FLT CPT Lafiel Abriel
TO: ALLSHIPS
DT: 11212016/071546
MEMO:
Effective immediately, Condition CHARTREUSE is in effect.
The disturbing news from Earthside has been confirmed. CONUS has been replaced
by what appears to be an alternate version of itself based on a series of novels by Harry
Turtledove (see attachment for text reference).  The so-called "Confederate States of
America" are currently in preparation for an atrocity to rival the Shoah. We do not intend
to allow this to continue. Steps are being taken and a multi-faction coalition is being formed.
Expect friendly contact from PVO, Stellvia, Senshi, and Roughrider forces.
GSS BELISARIUS is ordered to proceed at maximum possible speed to Fleet Rendesvous
ALPHA.
GSS ARTORIUS is ordered to proceed at maximum possible speed to Fleet Rendesvous

ALPHA.
GSS CINCINNATUS is ordered to maintain Belt patrol duties to the extent possible,
congruent with the safety of your command.
All GSS units are to go to high alert status immediately. This is a war warning.
Repeat: Condition CHARTREUSE is in effect.
MESSAGE ENDS

(OOC: Summary of Condition CHARTREUSE: "Something is way the heck f**ked up. We're keeping a sharp eye out in case some nutkook tries something hinky. Be paranoid, and be careful.")
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

To: Noah Scott (bigcheese@stellvia.lib)
CC: "The Jason" (the_jason@yggdrasil.fen), "Blackstone" (blackstone@banzai-institute.org), "Gen. Mal Fnord, VVS"
(fnord@sovietairforce.fen), A.C. Peters (rock_doc@prometheus_forge.fen), Ben Rhodes (blackrider@roughriders.fen),
Col. Stephen Caldwell (stephen.caldwell@tsab.usaf.mil), Cmdr. Tom Dodge (tom.dodge@stingray.usn.mil)

Subject: Re: EMERGENCY CONVENTION

> Folks, I trust that all of you will be attending. I was serious when I said we can't duplicate our efforts.

The Corners will have a delegation in attendance.  As I seem to be the de facto contact (and folks,
how many times do I have say, I'm *not* the captain of the Corners?  We *don't* *have* *one*),
I will of course be there.  Kat will be along as our resident diplomat, Joe as our tech specialist, and
probably one or two others.

> Third, get our people back. I'll head this up; I hope that Mr. Schroeck, Ms. Peters, and The
> Jason will work with me on finding our lost families and friends.

Gladly. 

-- Bob

-- Bob
---------

And, and in case anyone forgot, we still have Alaska, which turns out not to be part of the 191 US.

> We also spent some time working on installing the Ojo de Dios package into Midnight. Simply
> put, there ain't shit they'll be able to hide from us because the Midnight can now read their lips.
> Literally. Mayonaka is thrilled. Just say the word and we'll be able to dig up all kinds of dirt on
> these asshats.

I recommend we immediately start surveilling and recording all activity at their concentration camps
and affiliated locations.  Johnny Reb is probably not going to care if we blow the cover off their
Final Solution, but it'll be useful for getting international opinion on the right side.  We might even
get Mideast support if we point out that these bozos plan on doing this kind of thing eventually to
anyone darker than a sheet of writing paper.

Speaking of Mideast support, has anyone been in touch with the Israeli government?  I would
think they'd be inclined to help stop Holocaust Mark II.

> But hey, you know how I feel about these things. If anyone starts to get too pushy we can
> just offer to drop rocks on their heads. I think the situation has gotten bad enough to warrant it.

Agreed.  Also, we on the Corners would like to offer her use for purposes of intimidation.  As
that leaked USAF footage of our launch proves, we're pretty much invulnerable to conventional
weapons, and I'd like to think a 3/4-mile-wide block of stone floating overhead is likely to
convince the recalcitrant to behave.  Come to that, we could float over Johnny Reb's capital as
an object lesson, too.

> The warning, that is, not the act. Shit's really gotta go to hell in a handbasket before we do
> something that has that much collateral damage.

No collateral damage from us, just a lot of shade. 

-- Bob

-- Bob
---------

Date: November 24, 2016

On 23 November 2016, "Noah Scott" (bigcheese@stellvia.lib) said:
> Effective immediately, I'm detaching R. Kagome Mishima from Stellvia to
> serve with the FIREFALL operational staff. She's an excellent tactician
> and strategist; just don't let her talk directly with the enemy. (Or
> anyone else not in the loop, for that matter. Her inability to keep
> quiet is why she's only an OF-3.)

> She can't be the entirety of the FIREFALL operational staff, though;
> we're going to need more experts working alongside her.

What else do they need in the way of experts, Noah?  We've got folks who want to contribute
something outside of our research and development efforts.
-- Bob

-- Bob
---------

Date: November 24, 2016

On 23 November 2016, "Chris Marsden" (rockhound@greenwood.us) said:
> I'm recalling a fair chunk of the GSS from the belt in prep for offensive operations.
> I plan to /offend/ me some Confederates.

And like the ever-knowing "They" say, the best defense *is* a good offense.
Me?  I aim to misbehave.

I also misbehave to aim, but that's only when I'm not allowed to shoot anything.

-- Bob

-- Bob
---------

Subj: [FIREFALL] Re: Operational Planning

I don't have the goverment contacts, but I did pick up some news. According to the talking head, Israel is willing to do some major rescues. He said, and this is definitely true, that this is because they really, really don't like death camps. I suspect, though, that they are also looking at getting some warm bodies to help them defend themselves, but this isn't a bad thing IMHO.
I am, however, worried about people going off halfcocked and just lanching raids on the CSA. They may be Nazis in butternut (and who doesn't like beating up Nazi's, the guilt free punching bag?) but they're still human. We need to get some of the pschohistorians to get to work and work out how to take it appart in a way they won't got to hell later. They can't reach space, their air defences can't touch anything better than a handwaved civic and we can rip any vehicle they have apart with ease. What we can't do, because we don't have the numbers, is defend a border or occupy the place. Don't let your neo-conservative insticts turn this into a replay of W's quick, easy war.

Thanks Bob, Ben. Looking good so far. I like the idea
of low-orbiting GC, it ought to show them we damn well
mean business.
Colonel Caldwell and I have dispatched transports Earthside
to pick up a few 'Daneside Convention delegates. We should
be expecting the Governors of Alaska and Hawaii, as well as
at least representatives from Canada, Mexico, the UK, Israel,
Japan, Russia, Australia, Germany, South Africa, South Korea,
and Iraq.
Captain Dodge has informed me that the Navy will be
picking up an admiral to add to their representation. We
haven't been able to find a USAF officer senior to Caldwell yet.
It looks like they were all in the States for one reason or
another. So, the Navy will be the senior service for all
USMIL affairs in this.
Folks who've had time to read the Goddamned Books: Just how
left-wing is this Al Smith guy? Can he be trusted? Can we
work with him, if we have to? I'm tempted to land a dropship
on the man's lawn and ask him to send a rep of his own up to
see what's what, so he doesn't get any hinky notions while
we put down that turd, Featherstone.
--
Chris Marsden
Greenwood State
"... that government of the people, by the people, for the
people, shall not perish from this Earth."
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Subj: [FIREFALL] Winnipeg (EMERGENCY)

sh1t!!! sh1t!!! We have a major MAJOR problem. Just heard it on the news The confusion and crappy WWII communications have bit us bad.
According to a canadian news network, one of the US "Canadian Occupation" forces crossed the border. The local Canadian police (don't know yet if it was RCMP) tried to turn them back. The commander, for some reason, didn't and someone opened fire. According to the news I heard, there are casualties. I don't know how accurate this is, or what the hell's going on there, but we need someone there, NOW, to contain the situation. According to the news, this is somewhere south of Winnipeg. We need something to looks scary there soonest.

Subj: [FIREFALL] Re: Winnipeg
GSS RRF-1 is dropping now. This will be a nice demonstration of modern armor and firepower against pre-WW2 tech. My team is full-up combat-enhanced personnell under Lufy's command with an attached HRT negotiator from Greenwood City SWAT. With luck they'll be able to defuse this before the RCMP gets annoyed.
--
Chris Marsden
Greenwood State
"... that government of the people, by the people, for the
people, shall not perish from this Earth."
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

--Priority JLI Communique --

to: Task Force: Justice Society Alpha

re: Operation Hockey Knight in Canada

People. We need to move NOW. Sorry, Eljay, you don't have time to detail your tin can for PsyOps. Besides, I've seen that thing. Brushed Aluminum will be intimidating enough. Deployment zone is approximately 49.00141 N, 97.236228 W. We have cleared airspace with the Canadian Government for hot re-entry.

Non-lethal methods preferred, but not at the expense of your own safety.

Good luck and godspeed.

-- James Nicoll

OOC: Jesus God! Twenty five new posts overnight!

Also, Jinx, compadre, could ya try to follow the email headers n' stuff if you're going to jump in on the RP? Keeps things from getting too confusing, y'know?

Anyway, on with our regularly scheduled programming....

> Folks who've had time to read the Goddamned Books: Just how
> left-wing is this Al Smith guy? Can he be trusted? Can we
> work with him, if we have to? I'm tempted to land a dropship
> on the man's lawn and ask him to send a rep of his own up to
> see what's what, so he doesn't get any hinky notions while
> we put down that turd, Featherstone.

I ought to punch you for that, but we've got bigger things to worry about.

Smith can be trusted to the extent that any 191 politician can be trusted. Tutrledove wrote him as a Chamberlain-analogue with a few bits of Roosevelt for flavor; he's initially for accomodation with the Confederates for much the same reason Chamberlain was - he didn't actually believe that anybody wanted another goddamned war. However, once shit hits the fan he's a pretty good war leader up until the Confederates bomb the Powell House (that's 191's equiv. of the White House, up in Philly) out of existence with him in it. That happens around 1942 in the books, IIRC.

That said, we *do* need to work with the 191 USA here, folks. They aren't the best people in the universe (ha) but they *are* the ones who'll take it on the chin when things start happening.

So on that note, who wants to go meet the neighbors? I understand that the rump US government plus the surviving military forces will want to set up their own delegations, that's all well and good. Meanwhile we as the Convention should send our own people to US and CS, to get a better idea of ground conditions.

I still recommend that we send Benjamin down to dicker with Featherston; Ben's a Texan, therefore he's probably the best bet we have in successfully convincing cracker!Hitler that the world's changed and he should maybe stop. It's a low-probability event, but we should at least take a shot at it before throwing hardware around.

That leaves open who gets to go to the US. I'll take that if nobody else wants it (or is too socialistphobic to take it). Hopefully this business in Manitoba is a one-off aberration; I really don't want to have to declare war on *everybody* in the damned transition zone.

--Fnord
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

Mal, if you think I'm letting you near that... politician... without me along to keep an eye on you,
you're slagging NUTS.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.