Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Story][Open][RP] Enter the Sabre

I was thinking of pulling a Martian Cannonball. This way Ben and Gina can drop it off on the fly (literally!) and pull a quick slingshot around Earth so they can get back home in a hurry. Dartz and I chatted it over though and it looks like we'll do a mid-air intercept instead. That way Ben and Gina don't have to deal with the hassles of actually making landfall and still get to meet Jet face-to-face.

Works for me Black and would make a great scene. 
Warning:
Dihydrogen monoxide
Containment Vessel

Say, Dartz. You're from Ireland, right? How much of the accent do you think Jet would maintain before coming back down for this investigation? I mention it because when you mention what the detective notices about Jet when she first sees and hears her, I was thinking that a mention of it would be appropriate, seeing as how, at that point, you are writing from the perspective of a local American cop. Maybe change it to something like - 

Quote:"I'm saying... it doesn't come off," A voice with a mild Irish lilt, mildly annoyed, and gruffly feminine. "It's not armour, it's a part of me."

Mind, I can't think of anyone I've ever met here who dislikes the Irish accent. (Lots of women here go crazy for 'em, in fact! Men too, come to think of it. ^_^) But it would be noticeable to an American, and cops are trained to notice details that stand out anyway. 

blackaeronaut Wrote:I was thinking of pulling a Martian Cannonball.
I thought Jet was trying to avoid attention...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Dunno, I think a giant cat-bot stealing entire bank vaults outranks a small meteor impact. Wink

It's more Jet doesn't want the raiders to know she's there. And to stop any John Q. Random public out for a stroll in the woods from getting it first. It's also partly my paranoia... I like to hand things over in person, rather than leave them to be collected. And because a mid-air rendezvous is far cooler....

As far as spotability, A few ATC controllers might wonder what a bedroom door and a person were doing soaring over the Kentucky countryside, then dismiss it as fen-weirdness.

Alright... can't delete the above... so I have to double post. Sorry

Anyway... things have changed a little bit. About twenty-five or so people are missing in the vicinity of the robberies (which I didn't know when I started writing this with Dakota)
Quote:>>From: Juliette2@grunthall.fen
>>To: alitagally@grunthall.fen
>>Subject: Kentucky Cat [Development]

Right, we have a bigger problem here than just a mecha Cat being used to commit robbery. Deputy Ruth just brought to my attention a number of missing-persons cases around here. At least twenty-five. As there was handwavium involved, the police department assumed they were fen who'd launched and not thought to check in, so assigned them a low priority.

These cases are all gathered in the general area of these three banks. If there's a correlation between this, and the robberies... then that's far more disturbing. At best, they're being held hostage but somehow I doubt this. Most likely they're gone, dead or catgirled or god knows what. I don't need to explain what that means.

Dead Americans on American soil. I don't want to overreact on this, but as far as people down here are concerned, that's 20 people killed by fen.

Right now it's just Ruth that knows this, but this is not something that's going to be hidden...Ruth is going to inform the Governor, and see what can be done on this end. At least to let them be in a position to assist, and we can't be accused of trying to keep secrets. The governor made the request for me to be here so he's already involved before this, but what happens now is his decision.

I'm not sure what to do. I understand that Black Rider is delivering a package later tonight or sometime tomorrow. At that point, we should be in position to bring them down. I would like to do this as soon as possible, either with local police or Fen forces, but if you think I should wait for help then I will.

Taking down the Cat would be no problem... but now there's the possibility that there've been casualties, that's going to change the politics of this and I don't know politics.

-JJ

Oh dear.... This complicates things severely.

At least it can be said that Boskonians weren't originally the problem of the Fen - most of the ring leaders being Mafia or something similar. Although I can still see some politicians trying to make this look like it's all the fault of the Fen.

Anyhow, this is looking more like we need the Blue Blazers to lend an assist on. The Roughrider can only intervene directly if some serious shit hits the fan (ie: open warfare).

It'd be interesting if it was the BBI's suggestion to the Governor to actually ask for help from Fenspace... and one of the bank foremen may well have been one too. Unless something comes through on the Global Frequency to either Jet or Ruth suggesting otherwise however, they're going to continue with their plan of action against the Cat. The priority still has to be taking it down before anyone else is 'disappeared' and Jet's stopped being concerned about the deniability aspect.

Chances are Ben will receive a copy of the message, so he's aware of the situation.

Dartz Wrote:It'd be interesting if it was the BBI's suggestion to the Governor to actually ask for help from Fenspace... and one of the bank foremen may well have been one too. Unless something comes through on the Global Frequency to either Jet or Ruth suggesting otherwise however, they're going to continue with their plan of action against the Cat. The priority still has to be taking it down before anyone else is 'disappeared' and Jet's stopped being concerned about the deniability aspect.

Chances are Ben will receive a copy of the message, so he's aware of the situation.
Well, the Blue Blazers don't generally ask for help from authorities, unless they know for certain that authority happens to like them. And I can see that I need to put out a glossary on this:
Blue Blazer Irregulars - Volunteers working for the Banzai Institute for Biomedical Research and Strategic Information. Usually in disaster relief, information gathering, and charities.
Banzai Institute for Biomedical Research and Strategic Information - Usually known as the Banzai Institute. The legal entity funding Handwavium research, the Blue Blazers, social engineering projects, and other activities. Many Blue Blazers are also employees of the Institute in some fashion or another.
The Global Frequency - One of the Institute's information gathering mechanisms and think tanks. Approximately 1,000 Subject Matter Experts, connected to the Institute by Internet and "go phones" (satellite phones with video capability). Functions as a "smart mob" for problem solving. Taken from "Global Frequency" by Warren Ellis (a pretty awesome comic book, sadly out of print, but they're talking - again - about a TV show).
The Hong Kong Cavaliers - The core group of the Blue Blazers and the Institute. Not officially referred to as the HKC until 2013, during OBJ. Unofficially referred as such by members of the Blazers when referring to them outside of their presence.
World Watch One - The flying bus. Sometimes used to refer to the crew of selfsame vehicle (aka the HKC)
Buckaroo Banzai - The Man, the Myth, the AI. If anyone in the BBI is asked where Buckaroo is, they generally lie (knowledge of his status as an AI is a serious secret outside of Blazers; only a few non-members know, even in Fenspace). With a reputation like Buckaroo's, as established by the movie and book, he can be anywhere. Usually it's something like: "Sorry, he's working on a project on the West Coast. I can get him on the phone if you'd like to talk to him." Or "Wow. You just missed him. He had to get to Texas to help with a piece of medical research. Can I call him for you?" These are usually delivered in a sincere manner, and Buckaroo will always be willing to speak with whomever wishes to call him. The prevarications by Blazers are intentionally vague (they never say anything like, "He's at Johns Hopkins, performing brain surgery," since something like that could be easily verified).
Dakota, I got your message, and I'm going to have to work with it to figure out where to go with it. Things have been hectic the last few days, but I'm taking a few days off soon, so I'll see what I can do. What's likely, with the Governor, is that he has a Blue Blazer or two on his staff (knowingly or unknowingly), and they suggested it to him that the Institute might know someone who could deal with a 'wavium crime like this one.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

The Governor is fen friendly, but keeps quiet about it. Mainly he likes the fen's pioneering spirit and their willingness to go out there to get work done. He does have a BBI on his staff and knows it. So it's why he went to the fen first for help once he realized what sort of thing he's dealing with.
Warning:
Dihydrogen monoxide
Containment Vessel

blackaeronaut Wrote:At least it can be said that Boskonians weren't originally the problem of the Fen - most of the ring leaders being Mafia or something similar. Although I can still see some politicians trying to make this look like it's all the fault of the Fen.
Which will necessitate bringing in the Fen who know how to play daneside politics, and have some sort of authority from both Operation Great Justice and the Space Patrol. No, sorry - in late-2013, that's "Fan", not "Fen".

(And I was hoping that Noah wouldn't be appearing in every story... He needs a political staff of some sort, so he can be just mentioned sometimes instead of being "on-screen" all the time.)
--
Rob Kelk

Well, I was thinking that the JLI might be a good backup in this case. They're nearby (on the Moon, which is a few hours away), have a number of people able to help (Capes, cross-trained Silver Sentinels, S.H.I.E.L.D. personnel...), and are at the least public relations savey. Heck, they might have the connections still from Kandor-Con ('cause let's be honest, how else would all the various 'Dane-govs agree to meet the Fen there and not down the Well?) so that would probably help.

Of course, at this point my inspiration deserts me. Someone else will have to take this idea further if thet want to.

Whatever happens, depends on what the Governor does and who he contacts after he finds out. That side of the scenario depends on Dakota. He could call in every cop in the State (20 missing people) and then some to take them down hard. it's a big difference between armoured robbery, and what might be the biggest kidnapping and murder case in several decades.

If he was advised to get help from Fenspace, JLI sounds good for a response alright. For a connection, might the governor's son be JLI (Colonel Kentucky Tongue) which is why he's so amenable to fen?

Jet's not going to outright wait on help from Fenspace anyway, unless somebody tells her to. Once Ben to delivers that special catnip machine, she's trying to get into a position to be able to take down the bosco's as soon as possible after she's got it, with whoever's available. A full proper-trained SWAT team would be more than capable of taking these guys down... from what I gather. Once Jet nixes the Zaber Fang and the Gap truck, it's just a gunfight followed by a media circus. On a practical level... the only real difference is that before she was taking down armed robbers, now she's taking down armed robbers and kidnap/murderers. The enemy's actual hardware hasn't been changed, and chances are had the connection not been noticed, Jet would've knocked them down in much the same way... minus the media circus.

Whoever contacts who up in orbit and what goes on up there, won't be known to Jet until they contact her... Jet's email has already gone up to Fenspace, and it's probably been sent around to 'those who need to know'.

I think bringing in the JLI would be good. I think they get underused or I've just read the wrong stories. They could handle the media and political sides. With 'em making it look like a planned joint fen 'danelaw op to bust these guys.
Warning:
Dihydrogen monoxide
Containment Vessel

With of course a few terse words between the Governor and, say, second-term President Giuliani, or similar...
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Quote:second-term President Giuliani

Just thought I'd step in here and say "oh hell no." I haven't quite decided who the president is 2013-2017 (I kinda have to at some point for Mr Fnord Goes to Washington), but it ain't Rudy.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

So he amply proved that fear of Fear of Fen was not a valid primary criterion for a President during his 2009-20013 term in Fenspace?

Okay! I got no problem with that. Now the question remains...

As fun as the stuff in space is, we do have to kinda work out the major players dirtside. too.

Hmm. Some hitherto unknown Dem? Or a "vote of no confidence" Republican candidate after Rudy's disastrous term?

Whoever it is, if they have any inklings of "antagonism is SILLY," they may well be hampered until midterms by cantankerous anti-Fen Senators. [Gee, I wonder Who? Big Grin]
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Quote:So he amply proved that fear of Fear of Fen was not a valid primary criterion for a President during his 2009-20013 term in Fenspace?

More or less. The ugly truth of the matter is that Rudy Giuliani was the most unqualified person to ever be taken seriously as a candidate for public office[1]. He rode handwavium panic[2] to a close win over Clinton[3]. Once he got into office, his popularity - never that high - went totally into the shitter as he fucked up everything he touched.

I'll see if I can't get a writeup done today at work, but the notes in the back of my head suggest that the 2012 election was "like 1968 for Republicans." Until I get the writeup done, make of that what you will.

[1] This was true in OTL right up to the nomination of Sarah Palin as the VP candidate.
[2] A panic that was helped along by stunts like Ptichka's departure from Oshkosh right before the election, or pretty much anything the Professor did.
[3] Since Fenspace was born in early 2007, I see no reason not to run with the political cliches of that period.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

A bit of a law related question?

How would these people be handled by the local authorities? Would they be arrested and read their rights as criminals, or would they be treated as terrorists/enemy combatants? What sort of rights would they have and who'd be handling them? If they were just bank robbers who used handwaved tech... it's pretty simple... it's a crime. But now that Jet's spotted a catgirl, and 25 people have disappeared (And may have been murdered/worse)?

Dartz Wrote:A bit of a law related question?

How would these people be handled by the local authorities? Would they be arrested and read their rights as criminals, or would they be treated as terrorists/enemy combatants? What sort of rights would they have and who'd be handling them? If they were just bank robbers who used handwaved tech... it's pretty simple... it's a crime. But now that Jet's spotted a catgirl, and 25 people have disappeared (And may have been murdered/worse)?

I think that moves things into "organized crime", but I don't know US criminal law well enough to be sure.

Ah, yes - I just realized that this bit of colour from http://drunkardswalkforums.yuku.com/topic/7476 gives yet another reason for Noah Scott to stop visiting the USA...
Dakota Wrote:Agent Smith wasn't a happy man, he hated the fen. While he followed the book it didn't stop him from taking any opportunity to be a total asswipe to any fen coming down. He maintained contacts within the airport system so he could intercept fen trying to squeeze into the country through some of the smaller airports.
This guy doesn't seem the type to use an assumed (or shortened) name that a Fan gave himself if he knows the person's legal name, which would lead to this when Noah visits the old home:

Oh, great - the petty bureaucrat who thinks he's the bane of the Fen's existence was waiting for me at Customs. No choice but to speak with him, either.

"Welcome back to Earth ... Mister Anderson."

"Agent Smith." I sighed, and refused to give him a Keanu quote. "You do realize the simple act of our saying each other's names is a bad joke, don't you?"

After a few dozen repetitions, it just gets old...
--
Rob Kelk

Thanks. I actually done a quick bit of research, and have fixed things with that. Most of the story was done before I had Jet and the Panzers (Good name for a band, that) worked out... and Ruth has graduated from a local Deputy Sherrif, up to a State Trooper, and KSPD's Handwavium Crimes division. I had help with that from ECSNorway, who corrected a bunch of things, especially in the meeting with the Governor and some weirdnesses about the US.

Because of it, a few other things have been changed. The Governor is determined to handle them like a normal criminal gang, rather than drag his state into a 'war' or get the Federal Government involved (which, from what I understand, is a really Kentucky thing to do). And with 25 counts of aggravated kidnapping, (With forced biomodding not actually being against the law yet) and maybe a confirmed murder or two in there... there's a definite case for a trip to Squirty Gertie if they don't plead guilty or turn State's evidence and talk long and hard.

Agent Smith'll probably show up again... maybe, looking for some random federal charge to pull Jet up on. Probably flying an unregistered aircraft, or something dumb like that. Jet's handwavium goes missing, and a few days later, there's a Strike Witch taking off from the Little Watch Inn, and scooting around Kentucky.

Also.... Logan made a cool Jet-alike in Champions online. The wings are a little short.... but still it's cool.

http://img.photobucket.co...ine/Jet_No_Helmet_03.jpg

Forced biomodding at the very least could be called assault, which is a good all-around term for anything that threatens someone but doesn't quite fit another category.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.