Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[meta] Expect more Senshi illustrations...

Thanks, Foxboy. Now to find "Skuld hair"... or, at least, an ahoge or two to use with another hairdo.

(That second option might be better, actually. There are a heck of a lot of manga and anime characters with aho-ge...)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

She'd be an older Skuld at any rate. Although I do suspect that we would see more of her only after she was all grown up. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if she snagged herself a nice apartment somewhere. Maybe someplace where a lot of science happens. Wink

robkelk Wrote:Set up an account on the DAZ site (you don't need to give them anything other than a name and an email address until you start paying for things), download http://www.daz3d.com/i/software/daz_stu ... nload?_m=d]the software, register the software (at the link on the same page), then download the figure models from the http://www.daz3d.com/i/3d-models/free-3 ... t=382&_m=d]free content section. You want to get, at minimum, "Victoria 4.2 Base", "Stephanie 4 Elite Base", "Michael 4 Base", and "The Kids 4 Base" for realistic renders (and "The Freak 4 Base" for muscle-men), and "Aiko 4 Base", "Hiro 4 Base", and "the Girl 4 Base" for anime-style renders. (You won't be able to do everything I can with the morphing figures, but that's enough to put some people around the SR-71.)

If you think you might want to get into 3D modeling at all, grab the software and the figures while you can. These figures will not be free after the 25th:
These "key" figures and packages are (so far) still available for free, but I wouldn't recommend waiting to get them:
And (for completeists) http://www.daz3d.com/i/shop/itemdetails/?item=85]'Millennium Woman' Victoria 1 is also still free... for now.
--
Rob Kelk

blackaeronaut Wrote:She'd be an older Skuld at any rate. Although I do suspect that we would see more of her only after she was all grown up. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if she snagged herself a nice apartment somewhere. Maybe someplace where a lot of science happens. Wink
After she gets back from hanging out with the Girls (Girls Girls)...
--
Rob Kelk

Dumb question, but what difference is there between figures such as Aiko 3 and Aiko 4? Is it worth the hard drive space and bandwidth to download the older models?

blackaeronaut Wrote:Dumb question, but what difference is there between figures such as Aiko 3 and Aiko 4? Is it worth the hard drive space and bandwidth to download the older models?
Rev Dark would know better than I do...

Some of the clothes, hairdos, and props are designed for the older versions of the characters; they might or might not work with the newer versions of the characters, and if they do work, some tweaking may be required. (That "Dalek chasing victim" image I threw together is Aiko 3 because the outfit is for Aiko 3.) But if you have limited bandwidth or limited disk, just go with the newest versions - they're the ones that most folks are creating new add-ons for.
--
Rob Kelk

It is a major difference - all the daz Gen4 figures are build around a similar model mesh so it is easier to share resources between them.  V4/A4/She Freak4 use the same base mesh and the differences are injections.
It depends on what resources you need, and what figure they are available for.
I will post a more detailed list of resources for happy rendering in the next day or so.
Shayne

Clothing comment: It's worthwhile buying "Valiant" for Michael 4 and "Courageous" for Victoria 4 from Daz - while they're marketed as fantasy clothing, they can be modified very easily. So far, I've found modifications for them to make them Babylon 5 station uniforms, Star Blazers uniforms, Star Wars outfits, and a ridiculous variety of Star Trek uniforms (Federation, Klingon, Romulan, and Mirror-Universe Empire)... and that's without looking very hard. If Shayne doesn't list where to find these, I'll put together a list over the weekend.

Edit: Note that I didn't say which weekend... sorry about that.

(And "Valiant" is on sale this week, presumably to lessen the shock of all those characters becoming not-free...)
--
Rob Kelk

Stuff
Okay.
One of the problems with props and figures is that they are not always cross compatible. You can occasionally fake it, but doing repeat sequences, such as for comics, it becomes a pain in the backside.
Clothing Converter (and similar software) allows for clothing to be converted from one model to another. I have had inconsistent results with this software. Sometimes it works perfectly. Other times it is an exercise in frustration. I am not sure that I would call it a must have utility. Wardrobe Wizard is a similar package, but I have not worked with it.
Morphs. A lot of clothing resources do not have built in morphs to fit them to custom characters. Morphing Clothes by Dimension3D. Of all the tools I use regularly, this is the one that gets called up the most. It is awesome and frees you from the frustration of not being able to cram your heroine into a particular outfit without things... um spilling out everywhere - he says as delicately as he can.
http://www.renderosity.co...roduct=64629&vendor=Dimension3D

I have a pile of the Dimension 3D products and they are all highly recommended. (Their second skin tool is awesome to).
Also - be careful of pose and expression packs - a lot of them are badly constructed and will write over your morph channels.  There are several utilities to clean pose files, but I have not found one that I love to death - though I am pretty pleased with cleanpose.  This is not as big a problem in newer versions, as the pose saving mechanics are better; but still troublesome.
Finally there is limited feature version of Poser now available.  I have used both and greatly prefer Poser.  As a long time user - I can offer a discount (And get a bonus for doing so.)  http://TipFrom.Me/t/?Uprplr
They’re offering a $15.00 coupon, all you need to do is click on the link to get the deal.

Rev Dark Wrote:Also - be careful of pose and expression packs - a lot of them are badly constructed and will write over your morph channels.  There are several utilities to clean pose files, but I have not found one that I love to death - though I am pretty pleased with cleanpose.  This is not as big a problem in newer versions, as the pose saving mechanics are better; but still troublesome.
Most of this is people not bothering to go and clean out the morph channel settings. With the later figures, this is those same people making a fully injected figure and saving it to their runtime, and then just using that when they make pose files.
The files can be cleaned manually, but it's a pain in the keister to do so.
My recommendation to anyone creating those would be to clean the entirety of the morphs out of a figure, and use that as the baseline figure for making and saving poses to use elsewhere.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

On the off-chance Bob wants to get into 3D modeling, there's now a http://www.sharecg.com/v/49305/3D-Models/Junkman-ship]model of one of the Grovers Corners' auxiliary craft available for free.

And I really, really should get a free copy of Bryce, just because there are some good free models available for that program... such as http://www.sharecg.com/v/49410/3D-Model ... e-Refinery]this (maybe a StelOil facility?) or http://www.sharecg.com/v/48641/3D-Model ... k-Duquesne]this (there has to be a Pulper out there flying something like this one)...
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:On the off-chance Bob wants to get into 3D modeling,
To add another interest, I'd have to give up something else, like, say, breathing. But thanks for thinking of me. Maybe you should get it (if you haven't already) in order to have it should we suddenly find a need for it?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

I probably will, just not this week. (Busy...)
--
Rob Kelk

*headscratch* I thought Salvage one was associated with one of the other hunks of Unreal estate... *checks wiki* oh. NM
*snags a copy*  There.  I've got it at least if everyone else forgets.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Just grabbed it myself (I had a couple of seconds). I picked up a "http://sharecg.com/v/36159/related/3D-M ... -for-Poser]spaceship cabin" while I was at it. (The more SF environments I have, the less likely I am to need to reuse one - that's why there are so many on http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/wish ... rid=697698]my Renderosity wishlist. Anybody else here have a Renderosity wishlist?)
--
Rob Kelk

Resources
Renderosity wishlist - I has one.  It is a little out of date.  (For those with a little to spend IRONMAN13's poser and expression collections are highly useful and readily adaptable; two thumbs way up. )
SmithMicro is having an awesome coupon sale right now on all software.  I just scored the POSER2010 sidegrade for $100.00.  True 64bit render engine; be still my hobbled processor. Given that I produce 40-60 pages of poser content in any given month; this is money well spent.    The next challenge, migrating my default runtime without having to reinstall everything.  This is a works-sometimes thing...
http://news.contentparadi...cpnews_birthdaysale2011/
Oh - and DAZ has the March Madness sale on, which is good fun too.
So Rob - do you have a repository for your work?  I scanned the thread and found a handful of images, but that can't be all of it.
Cheers,
Shayne

Rev Dark Wrote:So Rob - do you have a repository for your work?  I scanned the thread and found a handful of images, but that can't be all of it.
I've only been doing this for a couple of months - that is all the work I'm willing to show people, so far.

When I have enough to put together a gallery, I'll let folks know where it is...
--
Rob Kelk

Another 3d Person
Personally, I can't stand Poser.  Tried it, but found Daz 3.0 Professional (with Lux/Reality) easier to use by nearly an order of magnitude. I've been doing 64-bit rendering for nearly three years now and love it to death.  Poser wanted you to know how to use it going in, and was NOT newby friendly.  Daz was easy enough for me to learn 10 years ago, and hasn't changed it's behavior much. 
This is my main album.  There's a lot of old stuff in there as well as some of my newer stuff.
Rob, you know ways of getting in touch Bruno or myself if you need help with anything Daz-based.  And, if you need anything specific rendered, let me know and I can try to help out.

Thanks - I'll keep that in mind.
--
Rob Kelk

This is the first time I've pulled back a prop that has a "Limited use with credits" licence... but even a quickie render in DAZ will probably look better than the grainy black-and-white photo that's http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... aker_Class]currently on the FenWiki. Don't know when I'll have time to do the render, though... so you've got a few days to think of a preferred colour scheme, BA.

Download's done! Now to look at the actual licence.

Oh, that isn't so bad:
Quote:This package and included files may be used for any project, personal or commercial. richimoto must be credited for commercial use.
This package and included files may NOT be redistributed commercially in any way without explicit consent of richimoto. This package and included files may be redistributed for free, as a complete package including this readme.
Derivative works may be distributed but richimoto must be credited.
I think I can put the credit on the FenWiki image page instead of on the image itself, so the shot will still look good.

And since I can redistribute it, anyone want me to email you a copy? (looks at Mal, Rev Dark, and Mark)

Edit: You know the old saying "You get what you pay for"...? It took me a couple of tries (and the complete abandonment of the Daz version of the model and the use of the Poser version instead) just to get the model to load into Daz Studio without any textures at all. And it seems to be missing the internal detail that the readme file implied was present. I'm going to have to spend a lot more time than I have today or next month just going through the mc6 file and figure out where it's trying to find things, which means I'm going to have to learn how to read a raw mc6 file. [size=smaller](I'm an IT documenter by trade; learning how to read a raw mc6 file will be the easy part.)[/size]

Anyway... you've got more than just this weekend to figure out a paint scheme for this bird, BA.

Re-edit: On the off-chance anyone else wants to try fixing the model, it's available in http://www.sharecg.com/v/34626/gallery/ ... or-Hexagon]Hexagon (which I don't have), http://www.sharecg.com/v/34630/gallery/ ... for-Poser6]Poser, and http://www.sharecg.com/v/34632/gallery/ ... DAZ|Studio]Daz versions on ShareCG.
--
Rob Kelk

Thanks, Rob! I'll try and have something for you later this week. (^_^Wink

A lot of people make DAZ versions of Poser objects with the sole purpose of making DAZ look bad.  This doesn't appear to be one of them.
I downloaded this to take a look and, like many people who post free models, they put the files together, but didn't set them up properly.  It's looking for textures in the wrong spot.  Fixing that is a pain in the posterior.  I, honestly, don't use props that people don't make work properly.  At least this one is a step in the right direction.  I still have countless free models that would require me to build the entire directory structure and put the correct files in the correct folders.  No, they don't give instructions or advice, you're just supposed to figure it out.
This was after 300 samples.
[Image: Bomber.png]

Possible Resource (mentioning here so I don't forget about it): "Gothic Lumiere", fourth from bottom on http://www.joes3dfantasyworlds.com/down ... tasy01.htm]this page.

I'm thinking that the "Dark Kingdom" higher-ups might have one of these kicking around, so I'll want this if I ever do a render of Senshi-turned-bad Naoko Sato. (Or if Bob writes that Sailor Moon Step in the Drunkard's Walk...)
--
Rob Kelk

Hey guys.� In regards to the B-36 renders, I found some Youtube vids that may be useful in making a more accurate model - even enough to make some decent looking interiors.
Old, but useful in that it gives us a look at something we haven't seen before - the actual retracting gun turrets.

Stupid Yuku. Kept on screwing up my post no matter how much I edited it.
Here's one more video. No audio, but excellent footage of the interior of a restored B-36.

Enjoy! [Image: banana-dance.gif]