Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[teaser] Rebuild of Mr. Fnord Goes To Washington

Mal-3 Wrote:And on the subject of new material... BA, you up to writing a little thing about Annika meeting Queen Serenity about the RR's concerns? Doesn't have to be long, just enough to outline the argument & set up the fallout.

blackaeronaut Wrote:Mal, I'll give it a good shot, and try for a bit of funny, too. I've got a good idea of how this all went down. Wink

So, you still up for it?
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

*Checks dates for posts*

Yeah, thanks for reminding me. I think that was the day I found out they were throwing me out on my ass. :p Life comes at you pretty quick.

Anywho, sure. I'll take shot at it later this month, unless you need it right away.

I'm busting my hump to get this done by the end of next week. If you can't get me a full scene in the next couple days, an outline + dialogue would be enough for me to 4Kids the thing into position.

ETA: As part of the hump-busting, here's (part of) the opening to the story. Comments, brickbats, etc.

(also one last nag directed @ BA: If you can't do that scene even partially, that's cool - just tell me. Don't blow me off 'cos that just makes me angry.)

Quote:They called it Yuri's Night. The party was intended to celebrate the first time a human being left Earth to fly into space, the man who had done it and the idea of space exploration in general. It had started around the turn of the century, as a way to get people interested in spaceflight after a long period of public apathy. When handwavium went viral the celebration became something more; a celebration of human ingenuity and the conquest of the final frontier. As people moved into the solar system, the holiday went with them, and Yuri's Night would be celebrated as a public holiday on the Moon, the Lagrange points, Mars, in the sky-cities of Venus and the domed towns of Ganymede.

Yuri's Night 2011 was considered something special. It was the 50th anniversary of Comrade Gagarin's flight, and the 30th anniversary of the first flight of the Space Shuttle. To that end, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration had pulled out all the stops, including a massive open house at the Kennedy Space Center. Throwing caution to the wind, they also invited several Fen groups to the open house, including the Soviet Air Force. The Soviets agreed immediately, and since they had an Orbiter plus Russian ties, their shuttle quickly became the star exhibit at the KSC open house.

The Soviets themselves made for interesting attractions, too. Kat and Zib Stewart brought discs of Soviet documentaries and uncut footage and commandeered a tent to use as an impromptu theater. Lena Oorebeek, Ptichka's co-pilot, took tour groups through the shuttle's hold and main cabin, explaining the differences between Ptichka and American shuttles. KJ DeRosia pulled a crate full of model rocketry materials out of the hold and organized a schoolgroup competition 'to put a My Little Pony on the roof of the VAB.'

All in all, a grand time was held by all, and it wasn't until sometime around mid-afternoon that Sullivan Dwyer noticed that someone was missing from the festivities. In the middle of a crowd, he flagged down a Soviet – Cal Renken, the 'flight attorney' – and asked “Where's Captain Fnord?”

Cal looked around and scratched his beard thoughtfully. “Haven't seen Mal in a while,” he said. “Though you might want to check the shuttle hangars.”

Dwyer frowned. “Those are off-limits,” he said.

“I know,” Cal said, shrugging. “Still, if Mal's anywhere, that's where he'll be.”

~***~

The interior of the hangar was well-lit, even though nobody was working on the Orbiter within. Dwyer walked in through the front door and spotted his target immediately. Mal Fnord was up on a work platform near the front end of the Orbiter Discovery, leaning against the safety railing. He wasn't touching Discovery or doing anything to it as far as Dwyer could see, just... admiring the scenery.

“You know you're not supposed to be in here, right?” Dwyer called. Fnord shrugged.

“I'm not supposed to be a lot of places,” he replied. “And yet, there I am.”

Sullivan climbed up the ladders to the platform, grumbling as his not-quite-elderly bones protested at the extra work. “What brings you by?” he asked as he reached the top.

“Well, we were in town and it'd be rude not to stop by and say hello,” Fnord said. Sullivan chuckled. “She's a beautiful machine.”

Dwyer nodded. “Yes, she is.”

“So what's next for her? Graceful retirement in the Smithsonian?”

Sullivan sighed. “You think that,” he said, “but that's not happening. The whole program's gone screwy. There's no more money in the budget for flight ops, but at the same time there's no budget for a proper decommissioning, so they can't leave the OPF. Officially Congress is 'looking into options,' which means we're stuck. We can't go forward or back.”

Fnord blinked in surprise. Sullivan couldn't blame him; this wasn't exactly common knowledge. “That's weird,” Fnord said. “I thought the R&D guys were all about building a replacement?”

That opened the floodgates. “They were,” Sullivan said. “Then the Pentagon started putting pressure on the administration. TSAB has control over all the handwavium in the US, which means we can't even get samples to test, much less the quantities we'd need for real work. The hell of it is, we've got proposals coming out of our ears: Langley and Ames both have next-generation reusable spacecraft designs, Glenn and Goddard have proposals about handwaved RTGs and sensor gear that could revolutionize the unmanned science program. But every time we bow and scrape before TSAB, they reject our proposals because of 'insufficient materials' or 'low probability of useful application' – by which they mean military applications. The Air Force finally has NASA where it wants us, by the balls.”

“Okay,” Fnord said. “Where do the shuttles fit in? Or hell, even unmanned launches? I don't think I saw a single booster sitting ready on the way in.”

Sullivan laughed bitterly. “Oh, that's the best part,” he said. “Despite being terrified of the stuff, Congress in it's infinite wisdom has decided that since handwavium makes ordinary rockets obsolete we should have the money to launch any. And just to make things worse, TSAB squeezes us when we try hiring Fen contractors, or even non-Fen operators like SpaceX or those nuts in the Solomon Islands. They're justifying it on grounds of 'national security,' but it's all about keeping us neutered.”

“Hmm,” Fnord hummed, noncommittally. Sullivan sighed.

“Yeah, I know, I should stop whining, right? At least we still have an agency. Still, we could be out there doing things, the same things you guys are doing, and the fucking Air Force won't let us off the leash.”

Fnord turned to look at Sullivan. “If you had a choice,” he said, “which proposal would you say is the most realistic?”

Sullivan raised an eyebrow. “Does 'realistic' have a meaning when it comes to handwavium?”

Fnord conceded the point. “Let me rephrase that. Which proposal would be the fastest and easiest way to get NASA back into space?”

“Huh,” Sullivan said, running a hand through his graying hair. “I always liked the idea of refitting these things-” he waved at Discovery “- using handwavium, kind of like what you did with Ptichka. It's the most efficient use of existing resources, we've still got the technicians and trained astronauts to fly them... all we need is the handwavium.”

Fnord didn't say anything at first. He looked at Discovery, and then back at Sullivan, as if searching for something in his face, or maybe his soul. “What would you say,” he said after several minutes had gone by, “if I could get you the materials you needed?”

Sullivan Dwyer looked incredulously at Mal Fnord. Growing up in the southern states, he'd heard all sorts of outrageous stories about the Devil, and how the Devil would tempt the innocent and unwary. He felt a growing sensation that standing next to him was, if not the Devil then certainly a devil, and one with an impressive devil's bargain at that. And yet that bargain was incredibly tempting. As NASA's Deputy Administrator he had the pull necessary to make something happen, and the desire to show up the zoomies, the Giuliani Administration and everybody else who said NASA was an obsolete dinosaur in this brave new world.

And yet... “I'd draw the line at giving you my firstborn or my immortal soul,” Sullivan said cautiously. “Other than that, I'm willing to talk about it.”

Mal Fnord smiled. “Well then,” he said, gesturing to the open hangar door where Ptichka sat parked outside. “Shall we retire to my office and discuss options?”

It looks like I won't be able to get to it in time, Mal. My apologies. (-.-Wink

Oo-Rah! I've always wanted to see some of the story of Project Artemis.

Since today is Resurrect Old Shit Day (and nobody told me!), have a musical interlude:

She went down last October in a pouring driving rain.
The skipper he'd been drinking and the Mate he felt no pain.
Too close to Three Mile Rock and she was dealt her mortal blow,
And the Mary Ellen Carter settled low.
There were five of us aboard her when she finally was awash.
We'd worked like hell to save her all heedless of the cost.
And the groan she gave as she went down it caused us to proclaim
That the Mary Ellen Carter would rise again.

Well, the owners wrote her off; not a nickel would they spend.
"She gave twenty years of service, boys, then met her sorry end.
But insurance paid the loss to us, so let her rest below."
Then they laughed at us and said we had to go.
But we talked of her all winter, some days around the clock,
For she's worth a quarter million, afloat and at the dock.
And with every jar that hit the bar, we swore we would remain
And make the Mary Ellen Carter rise again.

Rise again, rise again let her name not be lost
To the knowledge of men.
Those who loved her best and were with her till the end
Will make the Mary Ellen Carter rise again.

All spring now we've been with her on a barge lent by a friend.
Three dives a day in hard hat suit and twice I've had the bends.
Thank God it's only sixty feet and the currents here are slow
Or I'd never have the strength to go below.
But we've patched her rents, stopped her vents, dogged hatch and porthole down.
Put cables to her 'fore and aft and girded her around.
Tomorrow noon we hit the air and then take up the strain.
And watch the Mary Ellen Carter rise again.

For we couldn't leave her there, you see, to crumble into scale.
She'd saved our lives so many times, living through the gale
And the laughing, drunken rats who left her to a sorry grave
They won't be laughing in another day. . .

And you, to whom adversity has dealt the final blow
With smiling bastards lying to you everywhere you go
Turn to and put out all your strength of arm and heart and brain
And like the Mary Ellen Carter, rise again.

Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken
And life about to end
No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend.
Like the Mary Ellen Carter, rise again.

-Stan Rogers
"The Mary Ellen Carter"
Between The Breaks... Live!
(Music)

(also, BA: Still interested in doing a bit?)