Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[META] FenWiki "update and nags to update" thread

Since I don't see any guesses about Bronwyn's background, I'll submit the almost certainly wrong guess that it comes from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Hate to burst your bubble, Proginoskes, but your guess is correct.

Specifically, it's the rear wall of the pod bay. Bronwyn is positioned vary carefully, to hide the HAL-9000 terminal on the workbench immediately behind her.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Huh. My pattern-recognition algorithms are better than I thought (I've seen 2001:ASO exactly once). Also, allow me to be the first to say, Giant Space Mushroom! What do the good folk of A Baoa Qu think of SB2, I wonder?

robkelk Wrote:I also realized that, with their Age of Sail and Royal Navy habits, the Sammies were the perfect group to have ships named after Aubrey's commands... so I gave the ships to them. (Now I have to come up with what's in an Aubrey-class search and rescue craft / patrol vessel. Equivalent-to-ambulance, definitely; International Rescue style gear, maybe; weapons, possibly; enough weapons to qualify as a battlewagon, not a chance.)
And now the Aubrey class search and rescue patrol vessel has http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=Aubrey_class]its own (stub) page.

( I also see that Mal beat me to updating the photo of Vesta.)

Edit: O'Brian wasn't the only writer to pen Age of Sail stories. I've added the http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... ower_class]Hornblower class cruiser to the Sammie fleet.

Re-edit: And the http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=Bolitho_class]Bolitho class pocket patrol ship... which is enough for now.
--
Rob Kelk

Finally added http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=Defences]Defences to the wiki.

Cobalt Greywalker Wrote:Finally added http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=Defences]Defences to the wiki.
Very nice... good work.

It gives an overview about the variety of techs and sollutions the Fen have. There is no thing as the "standard Fen defense system", and thats one of the things that make Fenspace more interesting.

robkelk Wrote:(quote from the wiki commit)
I'm sure the intent wasn't for the shields to change sides in combat... ("deflectors", not "defectors")
No, you misundstood CG.

Defectors are special defense beams that trigger random quirks in enemy hardware... Wink

Cobalt Greywalker Wrote:Finally added Defences to the wiki.
Holo-shields are similar to deflectors. They are a 'hard' directional hologram system and rather rare to see. While weaker then normal deflectors they are more easily shaped to cover a area. Nominally seen on large mecha as arm shields or to cover weak points. These are mostly reactive or only activated when needed to conserve energy. Work is on going to produce portable versions for stations and large ships. Both for anti-border work or just to keep people out of a work area.

Sabre uses these to cover his joints, their not as tough as his normal armor and are reactive when a incoming attack is detected.
Warning:
Dihydrogen monoxide
Containment Vessel

Dakota Wrote:
Holo-shields are similar to deflectors. They are a 'hard' directional hologram system and rather rare to see. While weaker then normal deflectors they are more easily shaped to cover a area. Nominally seen on large mecha as arm shields or to cover weak points. These are mostly reactive or only activated when needed to conserve energy. Work is on going to produce portable versions for stations and large ships. Both for anti-border work or just to keep people out of a work area.

Sabre uses these to cover his joints, their not as tough as his normal armor and are reactive when a incoming attack is detected.
Most likely there are both "hard" and "soft/intangible" Holograms in Fenspace...

so some of them will be used for cloaking, some for defense.

HRogge Wrote:
Dakota Wrote:

Most likely there are both "hard" and "soft/intangible" Holograms in Fenspace...

so some of them will be used for cloaking, some for defense.
Well he's already got the hologram for cloaking/camo type listed.
Warning:
Dihydrogen monoxide
Containment Vessel

I just put %[link=http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=FenWiki:General_disclaimer]a real disclaimer] on the FenWiki, replacing the joke disclaimer.

I also added %[link=http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=File:Task_force_alpha.jpg]an image] to the Trekkie and Boskone War pages (the same image to both pages).

Oh, and a few days ago I took the "stub" tag off a handful of pages that we only have for background elements. If somebody wants to flesh them out later and bring the elements to the foreground, feel free, but there's no reason to virtually beg people to do this if nobody cares about the subjects.

Edit: And have http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... _class.png]an image of the Sammies' smallest patrol ship.
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:I also added an image to the Trekkie and Boskone War pages (the same image to both pages).
Oh, look, it's the "Little T". Smile
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

What, were you surprised that the Trek Fen built her?
--
Rob Kelk

Not really. I wonder who the captain is, though. Smile
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

Back to the FenWiki updates... I just lowered the "Wanted Files" count by one.

You're welcome, Mal.

(That leaves two astroball team logos, one early Starbase, and a half-dozen characters based on particular fictional characters...)
--
Rob Kelk

It's really a shame that I couldn't find a Yoko Littner morph, because she would have been perfect to illustrate the size of this device. (Instead, I had to use the guy who's got a bounty on his head. C'est la vie...)
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:robkelk wrote:

It's really a shame that I couldn't find a Yoko Littner morph, because she would have been perfect to illustrate the size of this device. (Instead, I had to use the guy who's got a bounty on his head. C'est la vie...)
I don't know who you think that is, but that's clearly an agent of International Rescue, standing next to the Mole. Smile

Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Ebony Wrote:
robkelk Wrote:It's really a shame that I couldn't find a Yoko Littner morph, because she would have been perfect to illustrate the size of %[link=http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=File:Mole_Machine.png[/img]this device]. (Instead, I had to use the guy who's got a bounty on his head. C'est la vie...)
I don't know who you think that is, but that's clearly an agent of International Rescue, standing next to %[link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbird_2_pod_vehicles#The_Mole]the Mole]. Smile
I know exactly who he is - he's the guy in the middle of http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... bounty.png]this picture. He's even wearing the same clothes.

And of course that's the Mole. It even says "MOLE" on the side. That's the whole point.

Now, why would somebody with a bounty on his head have (access to) the Mole? I smell a plotbunny...
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:Ebony wrote:

I don't know who you think that is, but that's clearly an agent of International Rescue, standing next to the Mole. Smile
I know exactly who he is - he's the guy in the middle of this picture. He's even wearing the same clothes.
And of course that's the Mole. It even says "MOLE" on the side. That's the whole point.
Now, why would somebody with a bounty on his head have (access to) the Mole? I smell a plotbunny...
"It's not Buckaroo Banzai per se, Mr. President. It's his men...some of them foreigners...Asiatics, their names changed, their true backgrounds shrouded in secrecy! I mean, when you come right up against it, what do we really know about any of 'em?" - Secretary of Defense McKinley

Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

I just took one of the stub pages off my list - Serenity I now has a backstory.
--
Rob Kelk

Alright, this'll make it easier for me to have more interaction between Serenity I and Benjamin. Smile

Quattro's got her page now. Feel free to throw boo's and hisses at her.

Now I have to figure out how to partition up Shadowrunning. The first two parts are, together, approximated to250 pages, and there's still chunks of the epilogue to add with Jet and Ford and wrap up the last of the loose ends. Jesus H Christ in a crisp packet, that's near novel-length stuff. We didn't mean to do that. Honest.

I just noticed - other than colour, Quattro and Kohran have the same hairstyle, and Yuu has a very similar hairdo. I wonder whether the hairdo is available as a 3D model anywhere...?

Oh, and I added Quattro to the list of Mads.
--
Rob Kelk

*Invokes a resurrection spell*

Finally putting the updated profiles for the JMC group into the Wiki. Dartz reminded me of it when I realized he couldn't find the info on Jeph's biomod in the entry. I also got the three stories up to help build the context of the characters, and all the spacecraft are now in place, outside of individual examples of Blue Midgets
--

Just changed a redirect into a stub page...
--
Rob Kelk

I hope this is a harbinger of things to come...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.