Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[RFC]Change on "Blue Hair Day" wiki entry
[RFC]Change on "Blue Hair Day" wiki entry
What do you think about replacing the "Launch of the Ptichka" with "Launch of the Pegasus" ?

The second one is a much stronger (and funnier) example for an accidental blue hair day in my opinion.

Ptichka involved a LOT more risk for the folks waving it, because it was an actual space-program vessel and drew a lot more attention as they were in the process of working on it.

All of the crew working on Pegasus were minors and would likely have gotten off with a slap on the wrist, unless they chose to try the ringleader as an adult. If the Feds had caught the proto-VVS, they would have been looking at time in Leavenworth or Guantanamo Bay.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

The Ptichka's launch being a Blue Hair Day is important to the VVS backstory - that's why it's the first example on the Blue Hair Day list.

Proposed addendum to http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=Fenspace_Rules: Don't mess with another writer's Cool without permission.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Quote:The Ptichka's launch being a Blue Hair Day is important to the VVS backstory - that's why it's the first example on the Blue Hair Day list.

(I should probably say something here, shouldn't I?)

Actually, giving the matter some thought, I support the change. Ptichka's launch wasn't the Blue Hair Day. That was a moment of panic and desperation and "I hope to Christ this works." The federales were literally arrayed in force outside the hangar when Ptichka took off; it was either this works or they go to jail. While it qualifies on 'laws of drama' grounds, I don't think it quite qualifies on the 'innovation' ground we tend to use Blue Hair Day for.

The real Blue Hair Day moment in Ptichka's story is the moment at *mumble*Con in '07 when Mal and his crew decided to buy the shuttle from the Kazakh government, move it to Wisconsin and 'wave it.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

robkelk Wrote:Proposed addendum to Rule #0b: Don't mess with another writer's Cool without permission.
Thats why you got this forum thread and not a wiki change and revert... Wink

M Fnord Wrote:
Quote:The Ptichka's launch being a Blue Hair Day is important to the VVS backstory - that's why it's the first example on the Blue Hair Day list.

(I should probably say something here, shouldn't I?)
Yes, that is why I asked here... I felt not sure about the change and wanted to head feedback about my thoughts.

Quote:Actually, giving the matter some thought, I support the change.
Wait, what ?

Quote:Ptichka's launch wasn't the Blue Hair Day. That was a moment of panic and desperation and "I hope to Christ this works." The federales were literally arrayed in force outside the hangar when Ptichka took off; it was either this works or they go to jail. While it qualifies on 'laws of drama' grounds, I don't think it quite qualifies on the 'innovation' ground we tend to use Blue Hair Day for.

The real Blue Hair Day moment in Ptichka's story is the moment at *mumble*Con in '07 when Mal and his crew decided to buy the shuttle from the Kazakh government, move it to Wisconsin and 'wave it.
So maybe the change could be from "Ptichka launch" to "decission to buy a shuttle and wave it"...

would nicely extend the "Blue Hair Day" from "build insane stuff" to "insane decission/building thats leads to cool waved stuff"... Smile