Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Fenwiki DeStub Project] Ganymede
[Fenwiki DeStub Project] Ganymede
I promised everybody another stub this weekend to have at - considering that we're finally writing about the Battle of Serenity Valley, what better stub to flesh out than that story's setting?

(Well, okay, the "Serenity Valley" page is also a stub... We'll do that one next.)
Here's Ganymede as it currently stands:
Quote:{{stub}}
{{planetbox
|name=Ganymede
|image=Ganymede.jpg
|orbit=1,070,000 from Jupiter (mean)
|diameter=5,262 km (equatorial)
|gravity=0.14 G
|year=7.154 days
|day=7.154 hours
|temp=122°K (-151°C)
|atmosphere=n/a
|waterice=90%
|population=
|political=[[Fenspace Convention]
|government=Direct Democracy
|capital=[[Serenity Valley]
}}

{{quote|Ganymede isn't [[Main Belt|the Belt], there's a lot of connectivity between the domes here, mostly for safety purposes. It's actually helped keep things under control a little out here, keeps the [[Boskonians|pirates] from raiding the outlying settlements if they know the militia's five minutes from anywhere, right? The moon's not as tightly wired as you guys back in [[Cislunar Space|cislunar], or even around [[Mars], but trust me; if a dome went dark all of a sudden, the [[Browncoats] would know.|20px|20px|[[S. Malaclypse Fnord], 20 August 2012}}

'''Ganymede''', found in the [[Jupiter|Jovian] subsystem, is the largest moon in the [[Sol|Solar] System.

== History ==

There were many arguments between the [[Browncoats] and [[Heinleinians] over "ownership" of Ganymede in the early days of the Fen Diaspora, based on the factions' respective source fiction. The [[Fivers] eventually got them to share.

The 2013 [[Convention] was held in '''[[Serenity Valley]''', Ganymede's capital.

==Places of Interest==
* [[Serenity Valley] (capital)
** Jupiter Mining Corporation headquarters
* Whedonite domed towns
** Little Jakarta
** Shadow
* Heinleinian Juvie "farms in the sky"

==Related Links==
* [[Io]
* [[Callisto]
* [[Europa]

== Notes ==

{{Browncoats}}{{places}}[[CategoryTonguelaces in Fenspace][[Category:Jupiter]
Contributions, anyone?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Difficult... is there much about Ganymede except for the Serenity attack thing ? Is it known for something ?

Ganymede's known for being the Browncoat center of power and as part of the solar system's agricultural base. And... that's about it. :/

Trying to track down a decent map of the moon, so we can at least match shit up to known locations on the surface.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

M Fnord Wrote:Ganymede's known for being the Browncoat center of power and as part of the solar system's agricultural base. And... that's about it. :/

Trying to track down a decent map of the moon, so we can at least match shit up to known locations on the surface.
You can't honestly say that the place doesn't have a tourist industry.  Seeing Jupiter dominating the sky on a regular basis?  Watching the eruptions on Io from orbit?  That, and some of these places have got to be of big interest to xeno-geologists.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Artemus Foundation had an outpost on Ganymede.

M Fnord Wrote:Ganymede's known for being the Browncoat center of power and as part of the solar system's agricultural base. And... that's about it. :/
One can assume that it's the busiest world in the Jovian subsystem, what with it being home to Serenity Valley (which is capital of Ganymede, Europa, Io, and Jupiter itself - granted three of those four worlds have zero permanent population, but there's still work to be done administering them).

Also, I strongly doubt Serenity Valley, Shadow, and Little Jakarta are the only towns on the planet.

blackaeronaut Wrote:You can't honestly say that the place doesn't have a tourist industry.  Seeing Jupiter dominating the sky on a regular basis?  Watching the eruptions on Io from orbit?  That, and some of these places have got to be of big interest to xeno-geologists.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Artemus Foundation had an outpost on Ganymede.
Artemis can share the StellviaCorp base that was set up after the Boskone War, sure... (Although with the wild-west, or Wild Wild West, vibe, "Artemus Foundation" isn't a bad misspelling for the locale even if it does bring a certain clockpunk Mad to mind... )

There'd likely be a decent Gondolier presence on Ganymede, yes.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Thoughts on Settlement names on Ganymede...

Arthur Clarke,... mostly an exploration base. More old-school.

ThirtyThirty, a very Texan/old west atmosphere, far more than usual.

Lampyridae, Browncoats who thought they were being clever.

Ariel, Persephone. More Browncoat Fen. Ariel has a reputation of being a little more upmarket. Persephone was built mostly out of Irish surplus housing post-war.

Notable Geographic features:

River Tam. Not a river, not yet... but will be. Eventually, when someone figures out how to get liquid water to stay there and flow.

I recall that in a series of Anne McCaffrey's books (Starting with The Rowan) that there was a major hub on Callisto. I would be surprised if there wasn't a contingent of McCaffrey fen there that did business on a regular basis with Ganymede.