Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ping blackaeronaut
Ping blackaeronaut
One ping only... Since I can't seem to find specifications for modern USN uniforms anywhere, I figured you might be able to help.

I'm thinking of doing a few renders for the Fall of Boskone Prime, but for that I need to know what the people in the scenes are wearing. What does a Naval nurse wear when on-duty and aboard ship?

For that matter, what would a submarine captain wear when on-duty and aboard ship? (Did Down Periscope get it right?)

Edit: Oh, yes - I know what the rules are for respect in the Canadian Forces, but they might be different in the US Forces. Would a Navy Captain salute an Air Force General?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Ship's Captain salutes an Army General, as the generals are equivalent in rank to admirals. However there is a big point: the General needs to be in uniform or known to be a general by the ship's captain.

I believe in Fenspace that Captain Corcoran has, if not actual Table of Organization rank, at least courtesy rank. And of course, Tom Dobbs was a Sergeant [exact level uncertain] in the US Marine Corps before his "medical discharge." How his/her rank has changed since OGJ is unknown despite troubleshooter status, but probably acts as though he were still a Sergeant in regards to formal militaries.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

For uniforms? Down Perisope is Close enough. Officers would be wearing 'Khakis' or a blue coverall depending. Enlisted would be wearing dungaree's or the coverall.  In general it depends on what sort of work the person is doing.  if they were expecting to get dirty they'd be wearing a coverall.  Someone on watch or otherwise not getting their hands messy would tend to be in standard uniform of the day.  Of course, Dodge could throw all that out the window by specifiying UotD to BE coveralls, etc.

As to a ships captain, it gets sticky. depends on where/when. In general Dodge is an 0-5 or 0-6. Generals are 0-7+ so unless its a specific situation about the general boarding the Stingray Dodge would be saluting the General as long as the general conditions for rendering military courtesies are met (both parties are in uniform, etc)
As to the nurse?  Either surgical scrubs or duty khaki, depending, but most likely Khaki.  because nurses rate as officers still, so they get the officer uniform.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Star Ranger: about the only time you see an officer in khakis on a ship is when he's visiting from a shore command or, if said officer's command is a ship, he has business to attend to that day ashore.

See, the thing about life on a Navy ship is that you live, work, and play in an industrial environment, QED. Therefore, coveralls are the order of the day by pure necessity, even for the Captain himself. Therefore, while underway you'll see everyone from the Captain all the way down to the newest unrated seaman-recruit wearing coveralls and baseball caps (usually with the ship's mascot on the cap). And yes, this includes medical personnel. Additionally, there's no way to tell who's rate is what from the insignia on their coveralls. You can only see what rank they are. Usually you find out by way of introduction. For example: "Howdy, I'm GM3 Rhodes." "Hi GM3, I'm GSMSA Tobias." GM3 = Gunners Mate, Petty-Officer 3rd Class (E-4); GSMSN = Gas Turbine (Mechanic), Seaman Apprentice (E-2). It's alphabet soup, but you learn to cope. It's best on a smaller command like Destroyer or a Submarine where everyone knows everyone - it's like a small village and the rumor mill has a life of its own. On an aircraft carrier.... forget it. You see a random dude there and chances are you won't see him again for months.

Additionally, there are two different kinds of coveralls: Standard and Engineers. The latter is difference in that it is flame retardant and does not require a belt. It also has no button closures and has velcro to cinch up the the cuffs and hem. (Note: The CO on a small command always wears Engineers Coveralls because he's always walking through the spaces to make sure everything is running smoothly.)

Now, in port a lot of the crew, including the officers who are the department heads, will most likely be wearing the new NWU's (Navy Working Uniforms). The digital camo pattern on these fatigues are designed so that you can get commonly used paints (machinery gray, haze gray, deck gray, black) on these uniforms and not have it be particularly noticeable. This color pattern is known as Type 1. Type 2 (Dessert) and Type 3 (Woodland) are used for uniforms of those at forward deployed shore commands and are rarely seen.

Lastly, I'll refer you to the Wikipedia article that details current Navy uniforms: http://en.wikipedia.org/w...f_the_United_States_Navy

One final note: The only uniform that has rate insignia are the Dress Blues and the Dress Whites. Otherwise, the only insignia visible are rank and special warfare qualifications.

Essentially the same rules for respect as in the Canadian Forces, then. (Here, the lower-rank officer salutes the higher-ranked officer if both are in uniform and holds the salute until it's returned or the senior officer leaves the junior officer's line-of-sight, with no regard to particular services.)

Uniform... Even the medical staff wear coveralls? I'll have to see what I can find, then. (I have a dress uniform for the male character, but I don't think I have a duty uniform of any sort. I'll ask over on the DAZ forums about that.)
--
Rob Kelk

Rob: on a sub - everyone. Including the Skipper.

I'll conceed the point BA. My service was back in the early 80's, and back then unless you were actually up to your elbows in summat, it was preferred (at least on my ship, CGN-41 Arkansas) that you wear dungarees or Khaki.

NO QUARTER!!!

For my two cents worth, I always thought that was one of the few things wrong with Down Periscope; Captain Dodge was way too *clean*. After all, not only was his command a boat, it was a diesel boat...not at all the sort of thing where you can even stay clean just walking out of your quarters. Smile

Duane Peters Wrote:For my two cents worth, I always thought that was one of the few things wrong with Down Periscope; Captain Dodge was way too *clean*. After all, not only was his command a boat, it was a diesel boat...not at all the sort of thing where you can even stay clean just walking out of your quarters.
Old ships for certain.  Most ships in the USN are either nuclear or gas turbine (which, funny enough, runs off a variant of diesel).  Conventional steam is extremely rare - only a few of the older amphibs run off steam nowadays.  The only ships in the fleet that are diesel chuggers are mine sweepers and other ships just as small or smaller.
I think the real reason for everyone going to coveralls is because they've been aimig for smaller crews, which means more messy maintenance for everyone.  The Navy getting rid of Utilities/Dungarees altogether probably doesn't help... and the NWUs are just too nice (and too expensive) to get dirty.

I'm assuming that, if one doesn't look too closely, http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/inde ... duct=83665]these boots are good enough for Fenspace renders...
--
Rob Kelk

Yep, those'll do. Not really legal for use on surface ships because they're worried about people stepping into pooling oil in a casualty (bad news on a ship if your trying to avoid Class-B fires). Not so sure about Subs, but I'm pretty sure it's a moot point on a space-sub. Wink

Yup. if there was a solid leather texture for em they'd be okay, though in my day you'd wear an ankle high version (known as boondockers for some reason) rather than the mid thigh length shown here

NO QUARTER!!!

There are http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/inde ... duct=83867]a few textures for them, and I suspect the dark-blue one will hide a multitude of sins if I don't actually point a spotlight at the boots.
--
Rob Kelk

The black will be more than sufficient. Besides, they have the right number of eyelets for the NWU's.