Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[META] Proposal for Season 2: The Great Age of Exploration
[META] Proposal for Season 2: The Great Age of Exploration
The Convention was weary - physically weary from fighting the Boskone War, emotionally weary from being treated as criminals by so much of the 'Danelaw, and mentally weary from realizing that life in space still involved dealing with all the little annoyances of daily life. They were ready for a change.

And they got one, with the news that the Miranda had discovered evidence of extra-Solar intelligence.

The Convention started to spread out in earnest. The Artemis Foundation send a manned mission to Barnard's Star and found native life there. A group of Vernor Vinge Fen visited Lalande 21185, and was amazed to discover Gatewood, a planet that could (just) support human life. And everybody knew about the wonders discovered by the Soviet Air Force's mission to Delta Pavonis.

Thus did the second half of the century's second decade come to be known as The Great Age of Exploration, with Fen of all nationalities and factions working together to find their own wonders.

Certainly, not everyone was willing to leave the Sol system - some people had put down roots on Luna, Mars, Ceres, Ganymede, or Mimas, or above Venus, and they weren't about to pick up and leave right away. And somebody had to stay behind and pay the bills.

But there were enough people who were willing to see what was out there to make this half-decade one of the most vibrant in Fenspace's history.

-- from the introduction to "The Great Age of Exploration", by Jon Helscher, published 2023 by Kandor Press

I'm assuming we're ready to lift the freeze on advancing Fenspace's "now" - we seem to have done enough work to establish at least in broad strokes the pivotal moments in Season 1. So, what to do about Season 2?

I'd like to get back to exploration - what Fenspace was about before Haruhi called the SOS-Con. After all, there's plenty to explore...

If we go with this proposal, here's how it would work:
  1. Pick a group of characters - established, new, or a mix.
  2. Pick a destination http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... stinations that hasn't been visited yet.
  3. Come up with a ship or a flotilla that's big enough to support an exploration mission. (Artemis went to Barnard's Star and back with two Shuttles.)
  4. Write stories about exploring that star system! (But remember that we've already established there aren't any civilizations within easy reach of Fenspace.)

Folks who don't want to leave Sol (including Noah and Leda, but not including at least two of Noah's "angels") would stay home and explore the Main Belt, Luna, Mars, and the Jupiter and Saturn subsystems, or support the peope who are doing the exploration.

The only downside I can see to this proposal is that it might invalidate The South Is Rising, Someone Get a Hammer, depending on how people write their stories. But minor changes can be made to TSIR,SGAH or the other stories if we really want to incorporate that Infinity into the main timeline.

Thoughts? Opinions? Rotten tomatoes?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Oh, yes - if we go with this, I call "dibs" on Beta Hydri and Zeta Tucanae.
--
Rob Kelk

I like it.

Though exploration of outer space isn't the only sort of exploration there is. I'd just like to make that point. Exploring the limits of what's possible with 'tech, then going beyond into the wave. Speed records, acceleration records, endurance records, strength records and the whole 'Oh my ain't that thing cool' effect of seeing the latest new thing scooting by.

There're so many other things to explore, not just go to distant stars. It's going to be especially fun for those who came up in 2012-14, and missed all the initial bout of 'firsts'.

Meanwhile.

The Shuttle Melchizedek is chartered by James Cameron for two missions, one in 2016 shortly after her launch, and another in 2017. The first is a run to Pandora, during which they run-into (nearly literally) a rogue Jupiter-sized planet which may have been captured by the sun's gravity, and is slowly falling into the Solar System (They name it 'Nostromo' even though that was a Ridley Scott film) . The second mission in 2017 goes to Sirius, and on to a couple of the other nearby stars before scooting home. There's probably another shuttle/ship going with them on that one.

I might expand that Pandora run a little more.... and have to think of Something to find at Sirius.

I'd like it if the HARDES first big mission is the initial survey of Omicron2 Eridani. Planets to be named will be Vulcan (of course), Riddick (the world in Pitch Black was in a 3-star system), and Henson (love for The Dark Crystal).

The cargo bay on the Pegasus can have a modular living space installed, with the regular cabin space being used for 'work'. Additionally, a collapsible augmentation can be packed along to add even more working space as needed. Mayonaka can make regular runs to keep them properly supplied for the months they'll be out there.

It would be nice if Season 2 would start a little bit slower, so that everyone has time to breath/repair/build up after the war.

I am still thinking about introducing a new small group into Fenspace after the SR1/2 story by Dartz and me, and it would be a pity if the important exploration would be over within 2014-16.

What do you think about this, starting this season a little bit more slowly so that the main part of the action will start in 2016+, because everyone was still recovering from the war.

Fair enough, because even at our listed max FTL Speed of 500c it takes a while to get anywhere.

Alpha Centauri at approximately 4 light years takes roughly 3 days to get to [Presuming a FTL absolutism versus special relativity]

Something 50 light years away takes 37 days. And, of course, that's Limit to Limit, not counting in-system travel times.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

What Logan said.

I don't want to force this on anyone (although it looks to be popular), and I'm not wedded to any particular part of it other than Stellvia/Artemis getting to explore the two systems I've already staked out. We can change the details.

Consider: the Boskone War ends in January 2014. The Miranda doesn't return to the Sol system until mid-2014 - we have a story thread that says they reach Hades Station during the Convention that year. Then there's a couple of months of people considering "should we?", followed by some but not all of those people considering "how?", capped off with StellviaCorp's declaration of independence and Helen's birth (which decides the issue for Leda, if not for Noah). I can see the first part of Season 2 being taken up just with shipbuilding, with only the Trekkies, Warsies, Soviet Air Force, and Artemis actually going anywhere before mid-2015 (because they're the only ones with the capability at the very start, unless Grover's Corners decides to leave cislunar for a year or two).

Also, there's three dozen "interesting" systems within a month's one-way travel (Limit to Limit) that haven't been claimed yet, and almost as many further out but still within 100 light-years. Taking into account the likelihood that multiple groups will choose to explore the "big name" systems like Sirius and Vega, there will still be plenty of unexplored real estate relatively close to Sol even in 2020.

(Aside: Who gets the fleet made up of the Sophie, Polycrest, Surprise, Boadicea, and Leopard? They aren't Artemis, Starfleet, Republic, or VVS ships and we don't seem to have any Age of Sail Fen in Fenspace other than the Space Pirates - who wouldn't be caught dead flying navy ships - but the set's too good to not have somewhere...)
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:And everybody knew about the wonders discovered by the Soviet Air Force's mission to Delta Pavonis.

I've been sitting on this one for... forever, and I've been picking at it for almost as long. So here's something, make of it what you will.

Quote:Delta Pavonis System
Late September, 2013

“Okay, so. What do we know so far?”

“Well, it's roughly ten kilometers across, it's sitting at the Lagrange-1 point between Planet Four and it's innermost moon-”

“How's it doing that? L1's an unstable point to begin with, but in a multiple-moon system it shouldn't be able to hold there for very long.”

“That's a good point, and... we're not sure. Sensors aren't picking up any sort of thruster exhaust or gravitational anomaly.”

“It's still powered, right?”

“It has to be to hold that position. Also, thermal imaging shows it's warmer than background, and it's holding the same temperature against solar heating. That kind of thermal regulation has to have something active running it.”

“Do we have an estimate on age?”

“Nothing I'd dignify with the term ‘estimate.' The outer skin looks pretty weathered, so unless there's a huge dust problem in the inner system we haven't spotted yet I'd say it's been here for a long while. More than that, I need to know what that skin is made of.”

For the record, I'm claiming Delta Pavonis and Zeta 1 Reticuli.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

Zeta Tucanae Exploration Mission, mid-November 2015 to ($return >= March 2016)

The members of this exploration team have been carefully chosen by the Artemis Foundation with an eye toward ensuring they won't be at each others' throats midway through the mission. With a minimum of three months away from Sol (one month to get there, at least one month exploring, one month to return), the crew needs to be able to get along with each other.

Calypso

(Shuttle-class, flagship) This is the first mission for Calypso, not counting her shakedown cruise in early-November 2015. Her cargo bay has been loaded with a large optical telescope and a number of non-AI probes and communication relays - of these, they are expecting to bring back only the telescope.

Crew:
  • Commander: Ulick Halvarsen (male Icelander, generalist-Fendane, has a PhD in astrophysics)
  • Pilot: Bardo MacInnis (male Australian - mixed Aboriginal and Scottish ancestry, Long Heinleinian)
  • Engineer: Anjelo Garcia (male Spanish-American, Pulper)
  • Astronomer: Miyuri Akisato (AI, female Japanese, generalist-Fendane, seconded from Stellvia)
  • Physicist: Destinee LaCroux (Frenchwoman, has a graduate degree in geophysics from the Pierre and Marie Curie University, Long Heinleinian, dating Bardo MacInnis)
  • Cartographer: Herrick Feingold (male German, Belter)
  • Medic: Rhiannon MacKenzie (Scotswoman, generalist-Fendane, seconded from Stellvia)
  • Autonomous Survey Scouts: Larry, Moe, and Curly (AIs, augmented Clay Pigeons, Supers)

Takumi F.

(Roadrunner-class, supply ship) Takumi F. usually runs produce from Wonderland to Genaros and "previously-enjoyed produce" back to Wonderland; this is the ship's first long-term mission. Six of the ship's eight cargo containers are filled with non-perishable foods; one is a vehicle bay holding a waved Ford pickup truck, basic mechanic's tools, and some spare parts; the other container has been outfitted as a recreation room, with a collar and tube for Calypso to dock.

Crew:
  • Captain: Carlton Waggoner (male German, generalist)
  • Helmsman/Navigator: Ella Jaros (female Polish-American, Belter)
  • Engineer: Warren Tipton (Englishman, generalist-Fendane)
  • Cargomaster: Vander Rycenga (male Netherlander, generalist)
--
Rob Kelk

Resource for system-building. Already has several key systems pre-loaded for your viewing pleasure.

(Note: Does not build sun-grazing Jovian planets or habitable moons, so if you want something like that you've got to add them yourself.)

ETA: The Orion's Arm Non-Luminary Planetary Classification List is a good resource for figuring out what kinds of worlds you discover. It's obviously geared towards use in the Orion's Arm universe, but these guys have got some serious research on.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

M Fnord Wrote:Delta Pavonis System
Late September, 2013

“Okay, so. What do we know so far?”

“Well, it's roughly ten kilometers across, it's sitting at the Lagrange-1 point between Planet Four and it's innermost moon-”

“How's it doing that? L1's an unstable point to begin with, but in a multiple-moon system it shouldn't be able to hold there for very long.”

“That's a good point, and... we're not sure. Sensors aren't picking up any sort of thruster exhaust or gravitational anomaly.”

“It's still powered, right?”

“It has to be to hold that position. Also, thermal imaging shows it's warmer than background, and it's holding the same temperature against solar heating. That kind of thermal regulation has to have something active running it.”

“Do we have an estimate on age?”

“Nothing I'd dignify with the term ‘estimate.' The outer skin looks pretty weathered, so unless there's a huge dust problem in the inner system we haven't spotted yet I'd say it's been here for a long while. More than that, I need to know what that skin is made of.”

"Mal..."

"Yes, Sora?"

"Did we just find a Monolith?"

M Fnord Wrote:For the record, I'm claiming Delta Pavonis and Zeta 1 Reticuli.

So, I gather you aren't going to veto this idea for Season 2...
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:(Aside: Who gets the fleet made up of the Sophie, Polycrest, Surprise, Boadicea, and Leopard? They aren't Artemis, Starfleet, Republic, or VVS ships and we don't seem to have any Age of Sail Fen in Fenspace other than the Space Pirates - who wouldn't be caught dead flying navy ships - but the set's too good to not have somewhere...)
Actually the navy types could be a sub-faction of the Space Pirates, they do need someone to party... er.. fight with.
I'd toss the Sabre's Tyger Tyger in for a trip around 2018 or so, maybe helping setup a long term research base in a solar system. With the Tyger's cargo capacity to carry a pre-built modular star base and supplies.
Warning:
Dihydrogen monoxide
Containment Vessel

Mm. I like this idea, but I'm going to have to take some time to figure out how the folks on the Corners are going to react... and act.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Dakota Wrote:
robkelk Wrote:(Aside: Who gets the fleet made up of the Sophie, Polycrest, Surprise, Boadicea, and Leopard? They aren't Artemis, Starfleet, Republic, or VVS ships and we don't seem to have any Age of Sail Fen in Fenspace other than the Space Pirates - who wouldn't be caught dead flying navy ships - but the set's too good to not have somewhere...)
Actually the navy types could be a sub-faction of the Space Pirates, they do need someone to party... er.. fight with.
I'm tempted to say "That's what the Ninja are for."
Dakota Wrote:I'd toss the Sabre's Tyger Tyger in for a trip around 2018 or so, maybe helping setup a long term research base in a solar system. With the Tyger's cargo capacity to carry a pre-built modular star base and supplies.
Oh, good - by that point, StellviaCorp will be looking to hire a heavy hauler for a few months. Zeta Tucanae should be ready by then to host a "forward base" to support the exploration of Beta Hydri...
--
Rob Kelk

Blue Midget Fifteen will have been rebuilt by then, and Sparky is raring for some excitement in terms of carrying some cargo a really, really long way. JMC can spare that, and at least one more Blue Midget for a trip like that.

All the ships can be fitted out for a proper FTL journey, although it will slightly limit the mass they can haul.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

Okay - I've just updated http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=Season_2]the Season 2 page on the FenWiki.
--
Rob Kelk

Right. Quick story idea. Because I don't like stories that go to places for the sake of going to them.

Melchizedek goes to Sirius. Maybe Discovery is going with her this time because it's a bigger journey. Mel notices a malfunction that could lead to a dangerous failure, but the 9 other times it's happened it's either been a false alarm or just sort of been harmless, and she's afraid they'll cancel the mission and make her look like a fool, so she thinks about just downplaying it (Like a teenager would think really). Dizzy fills Mel in on why that's not a good idea.

robkelk Wrote:
Dakota Wrote:
I'm tempted to say "That's what the Ninja are for."
Dakota Wrote:I'd toss the Sabre's Tyger Tyger in for a trip around 2018 or so, maybe helping setup a long term research base in a solar system. With the Tyger's cargo capacity to carry a pre-built modular star base and supplies.
Oh, good - by that point, StellviaCorp will be looking to hire a heavy hauler for a few months. Zeta Tucanae should be ready by then to host a "forward base" to support the exploration of Beta Hydri...
That's a given, but they can't be the only rivals.

I'm up for it, on top of Sabre being a engineer himself and having part of the Tyger setup as a large workshop.
Quote:Blue Midget Fifteen will have been rebuilt by then, and Sparky is raring for some excitement in terms of carrying some cargo a really, really long way. JMC can spare that, and at least one more Blue Midget for a trip like that.

All the ships can be fitted out for a proper FTL journey, although it will slightly limit the mass they can haul.
Could work it out as the Tyger carrying the modules for the station and providing modile shipyard/workshop space. While the Midgets carry most of the supplies. The Tyger acting as a temporary station until the proper one is built and up to speed.
Warning:
Dihydrogen monoxide
Containment Vessel

I have to stay quiet for a few more weeks until the SR2 story is over... after this I would be happy to look for a partner to work with.

No worries - there's plenty of writing to go around.

One thought: Since this is a story format where everybody can go off and do their own thing (the VVS can be at Zeta 1 Reticuli while StellviaCorp is at Zeta Tucane, and the stories will have nothing to do with each other), keeping the http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=Timeline]timeline up-to-date so that the same person isn't in two places at once (or 102 places, for Jess Ayanami) is essential.
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:No worries - there's plenty of writing to go around.

One thought: Since this is a story format where everybody can go off and do their own thing (the VVS can be at Zeta 1 Reticuli while StellviaCorp is at Zeta Tucane, and the stories will have nothing to do with each other), keeping the http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=Timeline]timeline up-to-date so that the same person isn't in two places at once (or 102 places, for Jess Ayanami) is essential.
I hope there will be overlap...

Everyone just going out on their own and discovering something different might be a little bit strange... Fenspace lives because the different stories are interconnected. So I think we should think about combined efforts or maybe some story-arcs that become the reason for multi-system expeditions.