Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Finished shortstory]Fenspace, the prequel
[Finished shortstory]Fenspace, the prequel
Sometimes an idea just jumps you and you have to write it down. This one took less than an hour from "crazy idea" to "I will post it". Have fun !

Quote:Two entities were floating at the border of the solar system, looking at the scene in front of them through a system quarantine shield.

“So this is the result of your new uplifting project? I have to say I am really impressed, you have outdone yourself.”

“Hey, its not that bad... you have to look at the positive side of the thing.”

“Not bad? Let me see... you introduced a plank scale self replicating machine into their technology, one that created a high level physics distortion field.”

“They had a lot of fun with it. It was a good way to jumpstart their civilization.”

“Oh, yes I see, they had fun with it. You broke apart their society within a few years. Their states could not hold together while random groups colonized their solar system on their own.”

“Its a good way to make the big step forward, leave you planet and start exploring.”

“Not even three years later multiple wars had started among this mess of small independent groups.”

“I could not know they were that aggressive.”

“You should have. Oh, the resulting war killed approximately 5.7 billion sentient being. Or maybe I should say ‘all of them'.”

“Hey, who would have thought they would get to planet cracker level weapons that fast?”

“One of the planets was even killed in a test of a new gravity engine for a sport car!”

“Each of them liked to own the fastest vehicle around. Its not unusual, everyone does.”

“And that does made their star go nova?”

“Sorry, I'm not sure how they did this.”

“So... you killed all of them, or watched as they killed themselves. They managed to scatter the mass of five of their seven planets in their system, swallowed several moons and a partial stellar enveloping swarm of satellites with improvised black hole weapons and induced a nova in their own sun. That's it, the council have enough of your private projects!”

“But...”

“No but. You will hand over the plans for your replicator engines at once. After that, we will discuss what kind of security measurements we can implement into the system to make it useful after all. And while we are busy modifying it, I promise you we will include some basic AI templates. So that we are sure the next target group have at least some rational beings around.”

“That's damned hard... I have spent thousands of cycles on the new version of the substance. Just handing them over to the council feels wrong.”

“Be glad it happens this way. If you cooperate, maybe they decide to keep your name for the damned things. Where the hell did you got the idea for this stupid name anyways?”

“Hey, Handwavium just sounded cool!”

It's as good a theory as any...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

robkelk Wrote:It's as good a theory as any...
It was just a funny idea that had to get out of my head... don't take it too serious. ^^

You seem to have lost the Slapstick Effect (and indeed the entire Genre Directive) somewhere, though. Although presented in a highly humourous fashion, this would be a deeply dystopian outcome for the people involved.

Never mind, this is obviously alpha Handwavium. Humans got the production stuff, or at least the beta version.

I like it. Smile

In its current form it cannot be pushed into the wiki, because people might take it for the 'official story'.

What do you think about using this as a "prefix" for the story?
Quote:From: Anonymous
To: rumors@mailcluster.mars.fen
Subject: ReBig Griniscussion

I got this from a friend, who managed to extract it from a fresh class D artificial intelligence before it received the first sensor input from the outside. Make of it what you want...

----

Hmmm... How about we follow it up with a brief exchange on the SMOF list?

TO: "SMOF List"

SUBJ: Can you believe this?!

DATE: [TBD

Okay, I was never a UFO crazy before the Wave hit, but... this is remotely possible. Gina swears up and down that she knows nothing about it. (Read: called me an idiot for even considering she knew. Yes, my lady, you know I love you even when you fly off the handle. You're so lovely when you're angry after all.)

Anyhow, I don't know about the rest of you guys, but just to be sure I'm gonna make sure that the awakening process of any and all AIs on Roughrider facilities are closely monitored. If nothing, it'll resolve any curiosity about the awakening process. Blackstone, I know you and several others at the Banzai Institute will be interested in our findings, if not actively participating.

-Benjamin Rhodes

CinC Roughriders

"Oh yeah? Well can your space shuttle do THIS!?" -Mayonaka Langley-Rhodes

blackaeronaut Wrote:Hmmm... How about we follow it up with a brief exchange on the SMOF list?

TO: "SMOF List"

SUBJ: Can you believe this?!

DATE: [TBD

Okay, I was never a UFO crazy before the Wave hit, but... this is remotely possible. Gina swears up and down that she knows nothing about it. (Read: called me an idiot for even considering she knew. Yes, my lady, you know I love you even when you fly off the handle. You're so lovely when you're angry after all.)

Anyhow, I don't know about the rest of you guys, but just to be sure I'm gonna make sure that the awakening process of any and all AIs on Roughrider facilities are closely monitored. If nothing, it'll resolve any curiosity about the awakening process. Blackstone, I know you and several others at the Banzai Institute will be interested in our findings, if not actively participating.

-Benjamin Rhodes

CinC Roughriders

"Oh yeah? Well can your space shuttle do THIS!?" -Mayonaka Langley-Rhodes

Yes, I can see this working well... especially (if someone looks really hard) because nobody knows where the message has been coming from. Someone wiped his traces away very well (after you get through a couple of hardware proxies and redirectors). Wink

blackaeronaut Wrote:DATE: [TBD
I'll need that filled in before I can provide Noah's response...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

robkelk Wrote:
blackaeronaut Wrote:DATE: [TBD
I'll need that filled in before I can provide Noah's response...
It was just a random plot bunny... so I am open for suggestions.

Soon (after SR2) I will have a bunch of other stuff to post... *G*
(and enough ideas to keep me occupied for a while)